Sign in to follow this  
magoo16

Hello and Bio Media question

Hi People,

First like to say hello just joined the forum. I'm from the superior state known as NSW ;-p :eyebrows: :eek:just kidding.

I'm in the process of setting up a 5ft brand new tank and have some questions regarding bio media for a new canister filter I'm looking at purchasing (I'm a full time student once again so going to get a sunsun or something similar http://goo.gl/Bgf3P0 would love a fx5 or 6 but $$ is really tight).

Anyway my question is can k1 media be used in a canister filter? If not what do you guys think of lave rock? Is there something better?

Just for your information I currently have a 3ft tank stocked with the following (A biopro 800 L/h filter on it right now)

1x Oscar

1x Australia Bass

2x Empire gudgeons

1x Southern yellowfin Bream (Which I believe is different from the type you get in QLD)

They are all relatively small but I understand they need an upgrade asap (Before anyone ask why the hell I have a Bass with a Oscar I stupidly listened to a LFS that said he always puts Oscars or other Cichlids with Aussie natvies to stop Aussie native fish aggression)

Thanks in advanced

Ah [MENTION=6604]Magoo[/MENTION] you've done it again LOL. Hi mate and welcome as far as I know k1 needs to be tumbled so won't work real good in a canister, as for bio media you can't go past matrix or Marine pure from [MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION] they would be my pick for a canister filter

To get the most out of k1 it needs to be fluidised so not ideal for canisters. I Doo like marine pure, not a fan of matrix, but if you want something that will do the job mr Aqua noodles from teach den will be fine. I have used lava rock before but it's not that great because it has a closed internal surface area so pointless for what we want in filters. Not exsperiance with sun sun canisters, but biopro/worxs canisters are really cheap and have local suppliers and are stocked by 3 sponsors that have great shipping.

The Oscar and bass may get along fine. The empire will be food before to long, and the bream will need more salt than the other fish as they mature.

Good luck

Welcome Magoo, you will most likely find the advice given here will be very similar to that given at AQLife from yesterday, bwahahhaha.

25L of ceramic media from AoA for $100 - smaller quantities cost less. Or as Lictoga mentioned, Mr Aqua ceramic rings from tech den only slightly more expensive. Not the highest tech, but not too shabby and good value IMHO.

Welcome Magoo, you will most likely find the advice given here will be very similar to that given at AQLife from yesterday, bwahahhaha.

I just like to hear many opinions :-) Ordering the Biopro now

biopro/worxs canisters are really cheap and have local suppliers and are stocked by 3 sponsors that have great shipping.

The Oscar and bass may get along fine. The empire will be food before to long, and the bream will need more salt than the other fish as they mature

Good luck

I must admit since adding the Oscar the other fishes aggression has increased big time. Oscar and Bass fight then the bass decides to pick on the bream then the bream chases the empires then the bigger empire chases the smaller one. I might give away for trade back to empires not real impressed with them.

Ordered the Biopro 2200 L\H

Congrats on the 2200, its a big filter and if ordered from aquaholics it has some great media. Room for expansion.

I would rather be over filtered then under and ordered from aquaholics. I was just going to ask what do you guys think of the BAKKI Biological Balls?

Also I have heard breaking ceramic media in half makes it better is that true?

Also whats the best way to seed the new filter? I was just thinking of running both filters would that do or is there a better way?

Edited by magoo16

Have never used bakki, but from what i have read it is very good stuff.

Cutting ceramic rings in half might theoretically increase surface area, but mightnot also. It will help them compact more, which is not a good thing and they do need space for water to flow around and through them. Id leave them as they are.

And yep, run both filters for a few weeks. Remember to use only tank water when cleaning media, and both filters will full up with good stuff.

And yep, run both filters for a few weeks. Remember to use only tank water when cleaning media, and both filters will full up with good stuff.

Yeah I only ever wash with tank water. Just a thought are you able to use water treated with prime to wash filters etc? Just something I have been thinking about

Yeah I only ever wash with tank water. Just a thought are you able to use water treated with prime to wash filters etc? Just something I have been thinking about

The ph difference and any temp change can have a effect on the bacteria. While chlorine is the main point for using aquarium water it's not the only one

The ph difference and any temp change can have a effect on the bacteria. While chlorine is the main point for using aquarium water it's not the only one

Yeah good thinking I was just wondering about that today. It almost seems that these forum reads my mind lol :eek:

Sign in to follow this