IsaRich

Recharging or regenerating Macropore

Does macropore ever lose its brown colour?

Put 500g of macropore in the (Freshwater tank) sump, removing tanins which it did Very effectively, and within 24 hours it was a dark brown colour. Pulled it out of the sump this morning and have given it a couple of soaks in salt water. Lots of dark water coming out of it each rinse, but the macropore is not returning to its light yellow colouring. So, hoping someone has some tips for me.

Does it matter what type of salt is used? Am using couple of teaspoons of table salt.

How many rinses does it usually take for it to return to its yellow state?

Does one teaspoon of table salt to 100 ML's of water sound like the right mix when rinsing?

Will it change colour once I stop rinsing it and allow it to dry out - in sunlight?

Very very new to using polishing media - in fact I dont understand why macropore is called chemical filtration haha.

Thanks!

You don't need to get it back to 'as new condition' for it to still work effectively.

It's chemical filtration because it chemically binds (adsorbs to surface). It doesn't absorb or get caught mechanically /physically. It is a similar process to carbon, except you recharge carbon with heat (and carbon captures different things).

You might get a better recharge result by placing the macropore in a box filter or canister filter to maximise salt water flow through.

Ahh, so although it may appear off-colour, it may still work just fine? I hadn't thought of that, many thanks [MENTION=470]aquaholic99[/MENTION]

And Ive been stirring the salt water and rinsing it then new salt water perhaps 6 times so far. Might just try and hook up a wee flow system like you suggest - ideally one that wont cripple an impellor. Hmmm, might try it while bagged lol.

Will it change colour once I stop rinsing it and allow it to dry out - in sunlight?

Very very new to using polishing media - in fact I dont understand why macropore is called chemical filtration haha.

!

Not 100% but I'm pretty sure you don't want to let macropore dry out ... Sould be kept moist or damp ...

You don't need to get it back to 'as new condition' for it to still work effectively.

It's chemical filtration because it chemically binds (adsorbs to surface). It doesn't absorb or get caught mechanically /physically. It is a similar process to carbon, except you recharge carbon with heat (and carbon captures different things).

You might get a better recharge result by placing the macropore in a box filter or canister filter to maximise salt water flow through.

It does both. Chemically binds and also traps debris in its macroporous holes.

Salt will let it drop those chemically grabbed things, but bleach will burn out organics trapped in its holes.

Thanks guys. Am heading off to find some Bleach!

Excellent tip on not letting it dry out completely [MENTION=11475]Jase86uxb[/MENTION] as I was considering putting spreading it out on a tray and letting sunlight burn it clean - it would have been dust within a hour in these temps, so thank you.

Thanks guys. Am heading off to find some Bleach!

Excellent tip on not letting it dry out completely [MENTION=11475]Jase86uxb[/MENTION] as I was considering putting spreading it out on a tray and letting sunlight burn it clean - it would have been dust within a hour in these temps, so thank you.

Just a point to remember to use bleach that is not scented - so no lemon no lavander or anything else other than just plain bleach when doing a bleach recharge.

Just a point to remember to use bleach that is not scented - so no lemon no lavander or anything else other than just plain bleach when doing a bleach recharge.

What's wrong with using scented bleach?

Its what we know works and works well straight bleach - when additives are added it adds new possibilities which may also be on how well it works as well as by adding the fragrance, is it just fragrance? does it alter the viscosity which may alter how well it gets taken in on a macroporous item. We like to stick to what consistently works with out the variables.

Bleach is king, but salt is forgiving.

I alternate bags of macropore and when I take one out of the filter I drop in in a big coffee jar of concentrated salt solution and leave it there for 3-4 months until the next filter clean at which time I pull it out and rinse of the salt and swap the bags over. The jar is black after 2-3 swaps so I dump it and restart (pool filter salt is cheap). Its a lazy way of doing it...and the soak doesn't bring back it back to new but it works "well enough" and its easy. I'd estimate the capacity to absorb comes back to 75-90% Rinsing the salt is a quick and easy affair and it doesnt matter if I put it back in the canister with residual salt. Every once in a while I could bleach to get that "new car smell" back but I haven't felt the need so far.

Fantastic response Grubs, sums up exactly what I was suspecting and thinking about doing.

Have a small bag of macropore on order so i can set-up a 50% in tank and 50% regenerating process 'lazy styles' which suits my lifestyle haha.

For some reason I thought the stuff would return to its original colour.

Thanks guys.

Huh.

You know you are the first person I have ever seen question that.

What sort of scent isnt destroyed by bleach?

Might be it aint exactly freshly squeezed citrus that you smell.

Interesting question tho.

Hmmm, interesting response. A bit cryptic for me though.

So there's no hard and fast reason not to use it???

I've been using homebrand lemon scented bleach for over two years. No one ever told me not to use it.

If you want real value then a 20 L container of chlorine is about $12 at pool stores. You do need to dilute it down to get a bleach like concentration so it would make around 500 L or more. Homebrand isn't that cheap....

One thing to note is that the bleach is a lot harder on the bags then Salt so probably best to have a few spare them not much is worse than a snow globe tank full of macropore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great! Sorry if you posted it earlier and I missed it... but did you use bleach straight out of the bottle or did you dilute it? What dilution ratio to water did you use? Thank you.

32e1014fbc285303c6b008bbdc77731b.jpg

And over night you could say that's pretty Close to looking like brand-new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk