Sign in to follow this  
crusty76

What would i need to do to pool water to make it safe to go into pond?

So we have a pool that needs some repairs :mad2: and now its cooling off its about time I got onto it, but I don't want to waste 20000lt of water I have a pond that's just over 10000lt and its time for a clean out before the winter so I want to reuse the pool water would a heap of fraction be enough? pond has Goldie's gudgens salmon tails and swordtails and a few turtles

Chlorine breaks down in sunlight.

I take it its a fibreglass pool... above ground pool liners will be torn by the turtles. What r u putting into it?

I used to fill my pool with straight untreated tap water in Rockhampton.

If your worried you can setup a crate with carbon/ammogon ect at the tap outlet - when you fill/top up the pool. Are you going to set up a heating system for it over winter? (Pretty easy to do ) you could look at things that may breed now, and grow over winter ( or breed in winter) and flog them off coming back into summer.... so many possibilities.

Edited by thatsright99

Chlorine breaks down in sunlight.

I take it its a fibreglass pool... above ground pool liners will be torn by the turtles. What r u putting into it?

I used to fill my pool with straight untreated tap water in Rockhampton.

If your worried you can setup a crate with carbon/ammogon ect at the tap outlet - when you fill/top up the pool. Are you going to set up a heating system for it over winter? (Pretty easy to do ) you could look at things that may breed now, and grow over winter ( or breed in winter) and flog them off coming back into summer.... so many possibilities.

The pool is a swimming pool, and the pond is 4mm rubber liner the pond has been up and running for a few years now and missed its clean out last year so its well over due for a clean out, na don't heat it, it stays around 19 at its coldest because is quite deep at 900mm deep it holds its heat pretty well, enough for the weird mix inhabitants anyway the fish are just feeders for the turtles except the salmontail cats they were a rescue, top ups for the pond are easy all water out of my set ups go into it on average 1000lts+ a week and I have a down pipe plumbed into it to catch any rain water as well, I haven't had to top it with the garden hose up since I set it up 4 years ago

I would let the pool water sit a week to dechlorinate, measure chlorine level with palin tablet (or a test fish) and then use it. Sun and circulation will help dechlorination process.

Ok so the pool hasn't had any chemicals in it for a month now just had pump running 5 hours a day water is a nice green colour now so checked the water parameter's today ammonia and nitrates are very very high ph around 7 is it worth treating this water to use in the pond refill or should I just dump it?? pond is 10000lts or should I just dump it and hose fill the pond? ideas guys?

What chems did you use with it? Usually pool water is loaded with phosphates. Take away chlorine and it algae blooms rapidly.

Chlorine tablets only mate

I'm thinking now to just dump it, just seems such a waste or water :/

If chlorine tabs only it should be sweet once chlorine tests at 0ppm. If in doubt chuck in some dechlorinator. What was ammonia and nitrates?

They were off the chart! very very high for both ammonia and nitrate so I dumped it today :/

High ammonia and nitrate is good for lawn. Real question is.... who in the family is the pool pee'er lol?

Hope so the plants got 20000lts of it! as for the pool pee'er's (plural) there's two wee girls that come to mind as the main culprits lol

Sign in to follow this