IsaRich

Outdoors ibc, how to circulate?

I have a 1000L water pod (IBC) arriving next week, and intend placing it outside as a water ageing tank. Havent tried this before, and unable to find much info on the forums, so here goes....hope someone can give me some tips (yet again).

Obviously the pod will need some exposure to fresh air. If I only fill it to 95% so its surface area is open, can I get away with just a small 1 inch hole for air exchange? Or should I keep the lid off the pod?

Am trying to use as little power as possible, would a 400LPH air pump and air stone keep the water moving enough, or would a small water pump / powerhead be better? The intention is to use only ¬300 litres of this water per week.

Finally, would it be better in sunlight or out of the sun?

Cheers!

I recently used an IBC for water changes in my discus tank. Leaving it it sun is not ok, as algae will be a major problem, even with a tarp over it and styrafoam. I used a small air pump & airstone for circulation. Never had an issue once it went under cover, out of the sun. I also filtered the water with a carbon filter when adding fresh water: only $50 at Bunnings for the housing and changeable filter, lasts between 6-12 months. A small hole will be okay, to feed the air tube. I now use 2 x 200 litre drums & leave them out in the sun & and have no problem, as they are coloured & keep the sun out. I find that I do the water change, based on the water temp, if I leave it until noon, the water is about 28 degrees, which is perfect for my use: Mt Isa will be even hotter, keep it out of the sun.

I have a 1000L water pod (IBC) arriving next week, and intend placing it outside as a water ageing tank. Havent tried this before, and unable to find much info on the forums, so here goes....hope someone can give me some tips (yet again).

Obviously the pod will need some exposure to fresh air. If I only fill it to 95% so its surface area is open, can I get away with just a small 1 inch hole for air exchange? Or should I keep the lid off the pod?

Am trying to use as little power as possible, would a 400LPH air pump and air stone keep the water moving enough, or would a small water pump / powerhead be better? The intention is to use only ¬300 litres of this water per week.

Finally, would it be better in sunlight or out of the sun?

Cheers!

How about a solar powered air pump they make them for ponds

I run a uv light in my filter system. This kills of any algae/green.

I needed a uv initially because of the amount of early morning light coming into the room with my display tank. I used empty milk containers with cholinasted town water outside 'in the sun' to kill off chlorine. They went greenish. I have now graduated to an IBC which i have attached to me shed for runoff (rain water) but still in the sun. I also run a bristlenose breeding setup which has no uv - the catfish keep the green out.

I hadnt really thought about the UV, Algae, and temperature side of things. My tap water is over 40 degrees may days. Yes thats the cold water after it has run for a minute to cool down from 60+ degrees haha. The ibc I am getting has been sitting full of water at my workplace for 12 months, no algae in it whatsoever.

So, I will find some shade for it. And an airpump / airstone should suffice to circulate it. And I dont need a large hole to allow gas exchange (just keep the surface free so under 95% filled).

I am still saving up for, and figuring out how to, switch from 12v solar to 24v solar, 24v will suit my makemyled light system. So anything running on solar power is on a pause for a few months.....but I have spare 240v air pumps :D

Thanks guys, have given me some peace of mind, and will find a spot out of the sun.

I hadnt really thought about the UV, Algae, and temperature side of things. My tap water is over 40 degrees may days. Yes thats the cold water after it has run for a minute to cool down from 60+ degrees haha. The ibc I am getting has been sitting full of water at my workplace for 12 months, no algae in it whatsoever.

So, I will find some shade for it. And an airpump / airstone should suffice to circulate it. And I dont need a large hole to allow gas exchange (just keep the surface free so under 95% filled).

I am still saving up for, and figuring out how to, switch from 12v solar to 24v solar, 24v will suit my makemyled light system. So anything running on solar power is on a pause for a few months.....but I have spare 240v air pumps :D

Thanks guys, have given me some peace of mind, and will find a spot out of the sun.

Can get solar oneszthat work like solar lights with their own mini solar panel

The BP solar panel I had on our Iveco motor home put out 19v and that was supposed to be typical and I had a Solarex regulator for 12v charging (should be about 13.6 to charge 12 v bats).

There was a run on car alternators with vanes set up to harvest wind (plenty on Google). If you find a wreck you could get the alternator and the regulator for next to nix.

I sort of like the idea of a windmill with a drive disc and an offset link that when it rotates raises and lowers a chain in the water thereby changing the surface water to promote aeration. (but I have not done it so it is new territory.

On the Solar power side of things, what I have learnt so far is that 12v and 24v versions of most things cost more and are of lower quality than the 110 / 240v versions. Of course there are some exceptions.

Some people using off-grid low(ish) voltage systems use inverters so they can use normal 240v equipment for this reason. However my solar intentions are to reduce some of the overall costs of running these tanks, the high outputs are the ones I want to look at first, namely temperature control and lighting. If a 240v airpump using say 5W can circulate water adequately I cannot see how any savings could be made setting up a solar system for it - would take 30 years to break even haha.

Now using a windmill to move water via pulleys and chains, that was invented hundreds of years ago, but would be a Very cool thing to integrate into a small modern back-yard system. Something for me to dream on, thanks [MENTION=17413]Shed100[/MENTION].

How about a solar powered air pump they make them for ponds

I am absolutely sourcing one of these in the next few months, and a fair sized one too. We have power cuts a couple of times a year and I need some back up. At 24 volts though haha.

Why is algae a problem? Better algae in the IBC than nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, phosphates and silicates in your aquarium right?

Is UV likely to get through the white plastic of the ibc and reach the water?

I am not really worried about the temp too much, it will be 40 in the shade anyways.

Algae may look ugly to some...but I know of people that like having it on their tanks knowing it helps the fish hahah. It doesnt phase me, my plecs and bristlenoses deal to it each night.

I have a 1000 litre IBC which fills with rainwater from shed runoff. I have a 2 inch foam insulated tin roof on it. (helps reduce algae and keeps termperature down/up.)  I dont aerate it. The big breeding bristlenose tank loves the algae. The main display tank has its own uv light in the filter and a few spare bristlenose/2 big pleco's.  Any temperature changes with water changes are only a couple of dregrees and if anything encorage my bristlenose to breed.

I trickle it into the tanks through a hose or add by bucket full and have had no problems.

Unless I was going to use the IBC as a fish tank I don't see the need for aeration or water movement?

Something that has become way more popular in the hobby for these situations is the use of air lifts. A quick look on youtube will give you an idea of how far they have come. Using air lift trickery, a low wattage air pump can be use to lift water to an aquaponics growbed.....  and you dont get much better IBC filtration than that!