smicko

Black finned electric yellows

Hi all, i put a wtb add up for some africans to keep tanks cycled and to growout a colony or two.

I had a mystery doner give me some yellows and the males have black fins, i haven't seen many with this trait lately so I am going to breed them and bring back the black.

The pics were taken not long after they arrived so they are a bit stressed and they have been fed colour enhancing food which has made them a little sooty.

Any input or pics of your yellows is welcome.

Cheers mick

_20160324_175543_zpsz5buawwk.jpg_20160324_175512_zpshnrvhcb8.jpg

Hi Smicko,

There are males around with nice thick black bars in their dorsal, anal and ventral fins. And some females too ;)

I think the problem overall is that many breeders select their breeding females quite small by going for fish with less colour in their ventral and anal fins, and I also used to do this until I realised I was unconsciously breeding out colour in those fins.

As I really like the colour contrast of the black fins I started a few years ago growing my fish a bit bigger to 6.5cm or so before selecting my breeders so I could vent sex them accurately and actively select females with some black in their anal and ventral fins.

I have females starting to come through now that are almost indistinguishable from males without venting, having dark ventral and anal fins as well as a thick black bar in the dorsal fin, an egg spot and an eye bar. Not all females as yet, but they are starting to come through. And of course I am now using these females as breeders.

Cheers, Doug

Have to admit I am of the opinion that good lecky yellows should have black tipped fins. Anyone remember the article by Andrea Watts AKA Merjo?

There was a lady that knew her yellows.

Max respec' yo

I remember Andrea well Donny, she was a great hobbyist.

Haven't seen or heard from her for many years now though.

Great to hear you are onto it Doug, some of the yellows are from your stock but they bred with some others and the result is the small ones I got.

I will grow out the babies and keep the best in the black fin colony.

I remember the females of old that everyone thought were males until they got mouthfuls and that's what I will be aiming for again, i have said for a long time that I wouldn't go back to breeding africans but it seems I may have been lying to myself lol.

Cheers mick

Hi Smicko,

There are males around with nice thick black bars in their dorsal, anal and ventral fins. And some females too ;)

I think the problem overall is that many breeders select their breeding females quite small by going for fish with less colour in their ventral and anal fins, and I also used to do this until I realised I was unconsciously breeding out colour in those fins.

As I really like the colour contrast of the black fins I started a few years ago growing my fish a bit bigger to 6.5cm or so before selecting my breeders so I could vent sex them accurately and actively select females with some black in their anal and ventral fins.

I have females starting to come through now that are almost indistinguishable from males without venting, having dark ventral and anal fins as well as a thick black bar in the dorsal fin, an egg spot and an eye bar. Not all females as yet, but they are starting to come through. And of course I am now using these females as breeders.

Cheers, Doug

Fascinating Doug... When I hit you up :) Will have to continue the good work. Will give me a little project to do

Frenchy :)

I find them very hard to photograph as the red light on the flash makes them skittish so the photo doesn't do them justice (just a young male in pic) but my strain has thick, dark stripes in the fins. Will post better pics when I get a new camera.. found out the hard way cameras don't bounce off three tiered stands

post-8516-14711635134724_thumb.jpg

Its been a long, long time since I have seen any yellows with nice thick black in the fins. Most of the "good" males you see today don't have anything on good females that were around 15 to 20 years ago. As Doug touched on I think that as breeders have been selecting for yellow colour the black fins have been collateral damage and have been bred out unintentionally.

Ok so here are some photos of a batch of juveniles I've bred. Photos aren't real good - camera flash makes their eyes look weird - but that aside - the black is prominent and these fish are only 5.5 - 7.5cm.

post-8516-14711635168524_thumb.jpg

post-8516-14711635168258_thumb.jpg

Some very nice electric yellows there, well done.

That is how I have been linebreeding my own strain in recent times, working on improving the thick black bars in all fins on both males and females.

I personally think they are a much better looking fish with the dark contrast in the fins.

The yellows have settled in and started breeding which is a little surprising considering they are sharing a 3x2x2 with 20 humpheads and 40 blue zebra all around 5cm.

Anyway here is a pic of the best male I have, he has a white seam on the fins rather than yellow and he now has a couple of females that have a little bit of black on the fins but they also have sooty lines on them which I hope won't be passed along.

It's great that a few people have caught this issue before we lost the black fins forever.

Cheers mick

_20160524_124418_zpsqqcjbh8j.jpg

Well the last one may be a male, I did have a sensational male from atlas purchased three years ago... Does anyone on here supply them mbuna? Every now and then they get some very good specimens in!

[MENTION=885]smicko[/MENTION] i have my yellows for sale atm and i gave the male away if i cant get a good price im coming to brizzy in the near future would you be interested in donations to this project? id rather give them to a project then sell cheap to be lost

They are some very nice females Stefan, i would be silly to say no to an offer like that, especially when the females have the traits I'm trying to breed.

I really should take the plant growth light off and use a white one for taking pics, he doesn't look the right colour lol.

Cheers mick