I have quite a few mouthfulls coming along. I was wondering if I put all the females with mouthfulls in 1 tank and let the fry emerge in their own time, how would that go ?

Regards Paul.

It's a good idea [MENTION=14883]PMG068[/MENTION] but the only two problems I can think of would be as [MENTION=5756]tdj5[/MENTION] said its hard to get them not to spit and the females are most likely holding different age fry which means some could spit 1 week earlier or later which can result in bigger fry eating smaller fry

when I was doing it all the tanks where sump all 42 tanks but I had 5 two ft tanks split in 2 so had 1x1.5x1.5 rocks some fake plants with it been sump u can change the female around easier no floating

You wont get as many fry.

Better IMHO to extract fry and place them in seperate fry savers/tumblers/tanks according to their development stage.

Then place all girls in a tank together to recondition before introduction back into breeding colony..... unless agro species in which case its usually less risk to add them back into colony as quick as possible to avoid them losing place in hierarchy.

I have quite a few mouthfulls coming along. I was wondering if I put all the females with mouthfulls in 1 tank and let the fry emerge in their own time, how would that go ?

Regards Paul.

What are you trying to achieve? If you rob eggs from the female earlier, you get many more eggs (fry) and the female hasn't lost as much condition and will be back to breeding again that much faster as well as not having to re sort her colony pecking order. You can rob quite early as you get better at hatching eggs artificially.

However if you are wanting to produce fry, you need 3 or 4 times the grow out space as breeding space. Small 30cm x 15 x 15cm tanks are good for hatching and first feeds as you can easily clean/water change and pour the fry into next stage tanks. They rack vertically easily too.

If you don't have the grow out space, ask your self why do you want to raise all the fry?