GotCrabs

Planting Dwarf Papyrus & Umbrella Plant

Hi all, just looking for the easiest way to plant Dwarf Papyrus and Umbrella Plants, usually I just use a small plastic garden pot with holes in the bottom of it, place newspaper on the bottom to stop gravel coming out, place a layer of aquarium gravel over the newspaper, place the plant onto the layer of gravel, then top the rest of the pot up with aquarium gravel, could I use garden soil, play sand in there also?

Have 4 Umbrella Plants, 2 Dwarf Papyrus Plants coming in the next day or two, so just wondering how to plant these.

Also thinking I might use one of the spare bathtubs I have as a grow out tank, put a small layer of garden soil on the bottom, place the sand over it, then plants some bits and pieces in and just let them do their thing over the next few months.

Cheers.

What if I place newspaper on the base of the pot, then a thin layer of play sand, then a layer of garden soil, then the plant into the soil, another layer of play sand, then top it off with aquarium gravel?

I get a terracotta pot knock a bit out of its top lip. Clean edges a bit to make sure not gonna cut a fish. Then flip it upside down and shadow kick it into the pond. This makes an excellent refuge for fish in case of birds ect.

You want to time the shadow kick to land at about sola plexus level to ensure the top of the pot (former bottom) is about an inch or 2 beneath the surface of the pond. Also buy a pot of the correct height to suit the pond.

Next I place the actual pot for the plant correct way up, on top of other pot. Now for this I usually use my secret death elbow but until you master the basics you can just use your hands. As to fill. I start with gravel, then some sand and then some compost usually.

I want those plant roots to be lured into the water to mine it for nitrates and phosphates.

Its not so hard to achieve if you stretch first and then work up to the elbows.

I get a terracotta pot knock a bit out of its top lip. Clean edges a bit to make sure not gonna cut a fish. Then flip it upside down and shadow kick it into the pond. This makes an excellent refuge for fish in case of birds ect.

You want to time the shadow kick to land at about sola plexus level to ensure the top of the pot (former bottom) is about an inch or 2 beneath the surface of the pond. Also buy a pot of the correct height to suit the pond.

Next I place the actual pot for the plant correct way up, on top of other pot. Now for this I usually use my secret death elbow but until you master the basics you can just use your hands. As to fill. I start with gravel, then some sand and then some compost usually.

I want those plant roots to be lured into the water to mine it for nitrates and phosphates.

Its not so hard to achieve if you stretch first and then work up to the elbows.

You lost me at the start there, I was wondering if you had been drinking or just had a massive weekend drinking and was still on the come down.

So, gravel, sand, soil, plant, gravel.

I have placed clay brick in the tubs to sit the other plants closer to the water surface, especially for the water lilies.

Cheers Don.

I like to be able to remove them in pots. Also makes it easy to give them a hair cut.

I put plant in pot first. Then fill in with gravel around it. Then sand. Then some compost.

You want plant roots in water on day one. Everything else is gravy.

Protip ~ spinning backfist is excellent for putting them in the water but beware of counters as its a power move and a bit slower. I find the

your shoelace is undone
line to be the perfect distraction. However if your umbella palm does not appear to have quick reflexes you may not even need it.

Sounds like Donny went home for Easter and indulged with the locals.

If you ignore the mma style of placement and concentrate on what goes in the pot it should work out well.

As mentioned you want the roots to be in the water column rather than the pot so they are more efficient at filtering.

Cheers mick

Ended up putting the plants into pots with small holes in the bottom so roots could grow out, then topped up with aquarium gravel, have ordered AquaGreen's Dinosaur Dung to place in each pot for fertiliser as well.