Suitable

What are ~3 year old ~230mm long Red Tiger Oscars worth?

Hi all,

Hope this finds you all well.

Firstly, not sure if this is the right section to post this in as I am new to the forum. Sorry in advance if it is moderators...

I have a ~3 year old, really healthy Red Tiger Oscar that's ~230mm long. He is really healthy, happy, has heaps of character, great colour patterns, no worms or diseases etc.

He currently lives by himself in a 4ft 189 litre tank with a 20mm rocky pebble base that he likes to rearrange a fair bit.

I'm wanting to sell him to a loving home if possible. I will not be letting him go into the wild either way! Even though some idiots have already done this in Townsvilles Ross river from what I have heard... :mad2:

So what are they roughly worth at this age, health and length/size?

Thanks for the help, info and advice in advance!

Kind regards

Steve

Cool. Thanks for the help and info! Yeah the local aquarium shop said they would take him for about $20-$30 credit, so that seems the going rate :)

I'll trade him in, get a "store coupon" (I want to thoroughly clean the tank and filter etc before putting new fish in there), clean it all out properly, then go back and pick up some barramundi fingerlings and what ever else I can get that's native there.

I'll might also widen the tank up and build a stand for it so I'll have more water volume and use the left over glass to make a smaller tank to breed feeders (well try too ha ha). Seems like the best option.

Thanks heaps for the help and info again!

Cheers

Steve

then go back and pick up some barramundi fingerlings and what ever else I can get that's native there.

I'll might also widen the tank up and build a stand for it so I'll have more water volume

Can I just point out - barra grow pretty fast and require big big tanks within months...most glass used on a 180L tank would be too thin to support a large (very large) size tank.

Have you thought about getting a 2nd hand 5 foot (or so) tank from our dry goods section on this forum? Some amazing tanks going cheap these last few months.

Thanks for all the help, advice and info all!

Since my last post (above), we have sorted out a few things.

Firstly, I told the missus whilst I was away to take Big Bad Barry (the now 250mm long Red Tiger Oscar) to the local aquarium shop in Innisfail NQ to trade in for a credit, this never happened (when I got home to find this out I asked what happened and they (missus and our 4 year old son) said they couldn't "do it" (trade him in) as he is now a part of our family. My son actually started to well up when I said we have to "get rid of him"... So I guess he is staying put... She did however get a little 37 litre Aqua One tank setup with 20 various guppies 15mm-30mm long (only 8 survived though, but we do have a mix of pregnant transparent bodied red and blue tailed and a yellow tailed "snake skin" (?)females and a few of the same type males, which are all in the 37 litre tank at the moment. I believe we lost the 12 fish (which all happened in the first day of getting the new tank and the fish) due to it being a brand new tank and filter. Sad but such is life... The survivors are going well though and the females are getting fatter each day with the black spots starting to turn pink (which I believe means they will be giving birth very soon :) hopefully). The tank has been set up with white gravel and quite a few live plants and all seems to be going well in it so far with the 8 survivors. :) This tank is only going to be a temporary tank till I finally finish another 4ft tank that I picked up for $30 that needs resealing. I will be dividing this tank into 3 parts with plexiglass dividers to be a full guppy tank/breeding tank. I have also ordered some floating guppy birthing "tanks" so I can separate the pregnant mothers in one section of the breeding tank with the male partners in the same section (but not in the floating tanks) just before they are about to give birth so once all their young have been born I can place the adults back into the main tank whilst all the fry get their sea legs and grow up enough to do their own thing. I am also looking at getting so nice pairs to breed solely for nice fish and not just for feeders, as some of them are quite nice looking fish.

She also picked up 3 Barra fingerlings (one that was ~50mm, one around 25mm and one around 15-20mm long) and two ~45mm long bristle nose suckers (for natural glass cleaning etc). These have gone into the big tank with big bad Barry along with some live plants, a piece of coral we found on the beach and half a giant clam shell we also found on the beach here (we boiled them before adding them to the tank to kill off any bad bacteria etc) and also added some date Palm clumps which look like mangroves in the tank for the small fish to hide in. I also took my 4 year old son down to one of the local freshwater creeks in hope to get some jungle perch, but the place where there are hundreds of them in multiple sizes amonst other species of fish is national park (obviously...) so we didn't end up getting anything from there. We did feed give them a feed as the young fella (and myself too) loves watching them go ballistic for the food (a little bit of whole grain bread soaked in water. Only one slice fore about 300-400 fish of all sorts.)

Disappointed in realising its national park and you can't fish there etc. we went for a bit of an adventure in the 4by back out of the national park and found a small track just wide enough for the car to get through just on the edge (~500m away) of the national park entrance which led down to the same creek but was not in national park. We burliest the water up a bit with another slice of bread matched up in creek water and wanted till an array of fish came out for the bread. Threw the cast net out and over the fish in hope at least 1 jungle perch was there in the pack but only caught native rainbow fish. We put the 20 or so rainbows into a bucket of creek water and kept trying to get a JP. After about half an hour of throwing the net and getting smashed by mozzies we decided we were not going to get a JP so packed up our stuff ready to head home. We went through the array of native rainbows we caught and picked out two nice looking males and one female (all about 70mm long), filling up another bucket we had with fresh creek water we put the two males and one female into this bucket and let the rest of them (30 or so) go back into the creek which all happily swam off back into the fork of the creek. Put the lid on the 20 litre bucket with our 3 rainbow fish in it, put everything back in the car and drove home with one very happy kiddo from our little adventure into the jungle.

When we got home, we started swapping the creek water in the bucket with the tank water from the 4ft tank which has Big Bad Barry, 3 small Barra and 2 bristle nose suckers, airating the water with each small addition to the bucket and putting the creek water in to the tank. Once we were happy that the rainbows would be adjusted to the water of the tank, we carefully put them into the 4ft tank with the rest of the fish (250mm Oscar, 3 small Barra, two bristle nose suckers and now 3 native rainbows). The rainbows were a bit nervous at first being wild caught and put into a smallish tank with a huge Oscar in it but after a feed and with places to hide from big bad Barry, they all settled down pretty quick. We have had this setup for a bit over a week now and all fish seem to be happy and getting along nicely now which is great! Big Bad Barry has been sulking quite a bit now that his own tank that he has been all alone in for over three years in by him self who now has to share the tank with other fish made him not very happy at first. But now they have been together for a bit over a week, all seem to be very happy with one another which is great.

I know I need a much larger tank for this to be successful and what's best for all the fish so I am currently designing a plywood and glass tank that will be 2.4m X 0.7m X 0.8m in total for the natives only. This large plywood and glass tank will also have a large sump tank filtration system that I will build myself quite soon (as I know he Barra are going to grow very quick! The 50mm Barra is now 70mm long after just a week.. The other two haven't grown that much yet but they will...). Once the Barra get too big for the large tank, I will be taking them out to a friends property down the road who has a large dam which they will be released into once they are too big for the tank I wil be building. I am also hopping to be able to breed the rainbow fish in the larger tank as I do have a pair already, I will also get more rainbows once the tank is up and running properly.

As for Big Bad Barry, since he has been behaving himself with the other small fish in his tank that he was all alone in before, I am planning to get some more African/American fish for him to share his tank with as him being by himself doesn't make me feel good for him, even though they don't mind being on their own, I would rather he has at least one or two other tank mates of his kind for the times where we can't be playing with him every day etc. What ever make our son happy which is why we have kept him in the first place, but one fish in one tank is a bit boring, even for me looking at him all alone. It's much better that there is more action/fish going on in his tank now which makes us all happy, I think...

Thanks heaps for all the help, advice, support and opinions! It's greatly appreciated! Even though we didn't end up getting rid of him... 🙂 O well, that's life!

Thanks and kind regards

Steve

Oh dear. Half inch Barra and lots of rainbows in the same tank as a 10 inch Oscar. I realise they have survived for a week so far, but if Oscar doesnt eat the rainbows, them Barra will be eating them next month.

I have heard of Oscars never having been fed live food, so they lose all interest in it when it is finally available. I guess you have one of them.

Great update suitable, I look forward to hearing if you proceed with an 8ft plywood tank in the next few months.

She also picked up 3 Barra fingerlinI also took my 4 year old son down to one of the local freshwater creeks in hope to get some jungle perch, but the place where there are hundreds of them in multiple sizes amonst other species of fish is national park (obviously...) so we didn't end up getting anything from there. We did feed give them a feed as the young fella (and myself too) loves watching them go ballistic for the food (a little bit of whole grain bread soaked in water. Only one slice fore about 300-400 fish of all sorts.)

Disappointed in realising its national park and you can't fish there etc. we went for a bit of an adventure in the 4by back out of the national park and found a small track just wide enough for the car to get through just on the edge (~500m away) of the national park entrance which led down to the same creek but was not in national park. We burliest the water up a bit with another slice of bread matched up in creek water and wanted till an array of fish came out for the bread. Threw the cast net out and over the fish in hope at least 1 jungle perch was there in the pack but only caught native rainbow fish. We put the 20 or so rainbows into a bucket of creek water and kept trying to get a JP. After about half an hour of throwing the net and getting smashed by mozzies we decided we were not going to get a JP so packed up our stuff ready to head home. We went through the array of native rainbows we caught and picked out two nice looking males and one female (all about 70mm long), filling up another bucket we had with fresh creek water we put the two males and one female into this bucket and let the rest of them (30 or so) go back into the creek which all happily swam off back into the fork of the creek. Put the lid on the 20 litre bucket with our 3 rainbow fish in it, put everything back in the car and drove home with one very happy kiddo from our little adventure into the jungle.

I'd suggest you do some basic research FIRST before embarking on this again. Firstly Jungle Perch are a vulnerable native species. They have a size limit and a take limit of 1 fish. Secondly - it is illegal to use a cast net in freshwater.

Thanks for that info "none"! I knew about the JP size limits and Max one per person take, but didn't know about castnets not being allowed to use in fresh water in QLD 😁 That was honestly the first time I have ever used one in freshwater, I won't be doing that again! The last time I caught rainbows was with a red claw trap and that was years and years ago. The JP and the archer fish I used to have years ago I bought from one of the aquarium shops in Cairns (10 years ago when I had that set up). Thank you for the letting me know!!! At least we let the majority of the rainbow fish go which were all nice, healthy looking fish when we released them back. I'm a very "by the book" person, especially when it comes to fishing and size limits etc and the legalities around them! It never occurred to me to check about using cast nets in fresh water :/ I've seen heaps of people use them up at Lake Tinnaroo, and through out the vast amount of creeks up the cape in North Qld, basically every time I have been up there I've seen people using them in freshwater for catching live baits for Barra fishing which is why I thought it was legal to do so... Didn't think to check :shakeshead: ... I'll be hitting those people up and giving them a serve every time I see people using them in freshwater in the future! Damn I feel really bad now 😕 ! Thank you for alerting me to this!

Edited by Suitable

Oh dear. Half inch Barra and lots of rainbows in the same tank as a 10 inch Oscar. I realise they have survived for a week so far, but if Oscar doesnt eat the rainbows, them Barra will be eating them next month.

I have heard of Oscars never having been fed live food, so they lose all interest in it when it is finally available. I guess you have one of them.

Great update suitable, I look forward to hearing if you proceed with an 8ft plywood tank in the next few months.

I've been doing quite a bit of research into them lately (plywood tanks and sump filters) and I'm very eager to get started on it! Will be going up to Cairns soon and will be picking up the ply and other supplies whilst we are there. I think (from the research I have done) fibreglass resin and fibreglass matting all the corners seems to be the best way to go for safe waterproofing and strength. I'm still not sure what to use for colouring the inside of the tank yet, maybe Japan black timber stain the inside surfaces before doing the fibreglass ontop as the stain won't effect the bonding strength of the resin etc once the stain has fully cured. Other option would be an aquarium safe stain additive to the resin or maybe even gelcoat. There is quite a few options! I'll be documenting the build as I go and might post updates here too. I'm sure there are many on here that have done similar projects so might get advice along the way from the nice people here 🙂

Yeah I am happy with the way the tank is going at the moment especially with the Oscars behaviour towards all the fish we introduced! They were all very unsure at first but have settled down nicely and the date palm branches, clam shell and coral clump are providing heaps of hiding places for them has helped a lot. When I finally get the big tank built and up and running, I'll landscape heaps of hiding places for all the gentle fish to hide in. Then Barry will get his tank back but I will add one or two other Cichlids so it's not so bare as it was when we first got it (was just 10mm rocks as a base and a otto 800lph filter and nothing else. Pretty boring). Time will tell how they all go but I am hopping that as the rainbows were in the tank before adding the Barra that they will all get along as they grow together... Fingers crossed!

Ps... One of our female Guppies has just given birth to at least 6 fingerlings so far! All the plants we have in there seem to be offering enough cover for them so far... Have also added some extra food pellets to try and keep the larger guppies occupied and fed enough to not hassle the little ones... They are sooo tiny! It's good to see the tank ecology is working ok so far 😎

Thanks heaps for all the help and advice all! Time to start a new thread I think.

Edited by Suitable