edit: This appeared to be a loose tooth that burst through his lip, and after perhaps 30 hours of not eating and not wanting to move, he fixed it himself.

post-17371-14711635101758_thumb.jpgHave spent a while searching but cannot find anything quite like this, so posting here and hope someone can steer me in the right direction.

Also, can anyone recommend a book or website for viewing fish health issues? Seems our sponsors have http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3207&catID=67 but nil in stock :(

http://i1038.photobucket.com/albums/a461/isarich/tex%20growth_zpsoute7iqj.jpg

Problem:- Growth on mouth

Ph:- 7.4

Ammonia:- Nil

Nitrate:- Less than 5ppm

Nitrite:- Less than 2ppm

Gh:- 5 or 6 degrees

Kh:- Aprox 10 degrees

Size of tank:- 6Ft 800L plus 200L sump

Temperature °C:- 27 to 29

Been running for:- 2 months.

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- adequate media in Sump, low t/o of 1500L/H, plus two large air pump sponges for surface movement and mechanical.

Fish in tank:- Juvenile clown loaches, venustus, electric yellow labs, and 2ea 13-14cm red parrots, 1ea 18cm common pleco, 1ea juvenile (7cm) oscar. Parrots get chased by SGTexas, no other dramas in tank, all fish cohabit well.

Plants in Tank:- None

Feeding:-
What food and How often twice daily, all consumed in less than 3 minutes 'except' some of the algae wafer tablets.

Recent Medication Treatments:- None.

Last water change:- 24 hours ago, change aprox 15% of water every 2 days. slightly more on weekends when vacuuming.

Edited by IsaRich

A photo has loaded. Looks like there is a 'tooth' pointing out of the upper center of the mouth in the picture provided. Is that the right photo ?

No idea what it is.

you might need to net him and see if the tooth is loose

this could be why he isn't eating

I'm guessing that once the tooth is gone he will start

eating again

keep an eye on him

Thanks L2H.

It has been about 24 hours since he was looking normal and eating well. I dont understand what it is, a splinter, a growth like a worm, or a tooth? Was not thinking it would be a tooth, but it does resemble bone and it is short and sharp looking. Could it be a tooth? Should I consider intervening and grabbing that tooth out?

Fish is a gentle giant, four times the weight of anything else in the tank and yet he is a sook, likes to hide and small fish dont bother him at all. Beautiful to look at - and I dont like to think he might head downhill from this splinter/tooth/growth.

Anyone suggest how long I could leave him alone before pulling him from the tank and quarantine/treatment?

Is that the only visible change?

Has the tank environment changed recently?

If he was my fish I would give removing the "tooth" a go to see if that changes anything.

This could provide a route for infections so be careful

Thanks Lictoga,

Tank environ did change two days earlier - added some lava rocks for the first time. Rinsed in tap water before adding, but... these were supplied from reputable source, so not suspecting the lava rocks.

If I remove the tooth, it involves catching him, placing him in a plastic bag and holding him down for 30 seconds or so as I use pliers to remove the tooth/pick/splinter. It would be pulled out completely - i have suitable pliers. But worried this would cause too much stress and injury. Whereas at the moment he seems peaceful, if uninvolved and not wanting to swim or eat. The only medication I have, which I have never used, is Methyl Blue.

To me, looks like he just has a loose tooth on way to falling out. Could very well be nothing. Change in behaviour may be due to sulking about the change in tank decor, esp. if he's been used to the same surrounds for a long while. I wouldnt be doing anything but watching at this point.

Appreciate the help and advice everyone, thank you. I will admit am surprised to hear this is probably a tooth, but yeah it looks like it was.

About 30 mins after feeding tonight, and SGTexas had stayed hiding under his log throughout, we saw some sudden movement at his end of the tank and it looked like he attacked and bit a piece of driftwood/log. After 5 seconds of thrashing about....there is only a tiny small dot where this protruding tooth had been. He either knocked it off, or pushed it back into his lip. He is now showing signs of wanting to explore and perhaps food.

Glad I held back and left him to his on devices, and it looks like he fixed himself. Thanks again everyone :D