Hey guys and girls just had a few questions about the rainbow fish for those of you who have them..

is it better to have a little school of about 8-10 of them or just a couple of them? How big will they actually grow in a 4ft tank? And will they get along with many other fish? Or what fish should I put with them? And what water temp should I have ? Driftwood or no driftwood ? Would they breed in a tank or is it hard to breed them?

Thankyou everyone for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rainbows live in large groups in the wild. That being said most species are very sociable with non-Rainbows and all the larger Rainbowfish varieties are fine with just a few of the same species They most definitely look better in a large group however. You didn't mention which species so impossible to say how big they will grow - some are dwarf and only get a couple of inches long - many of the larger varieties reach 12cm+. Species compatibility again requires more info but the larger Rainbows mix with heaps of fish - larger Tetras, peaceful catfish, etc., etc., etc. Not hard to breed but need to be in a single species tank for breeding. Driftwood or no driftwood personal choice - certainly the vast majority of their natural habitats are areas with submerged logs / driftwood.

Can you be more specific, there are Tropical Rainbows from Northern Australia and New Guinea that need heaters in winter and then there are subtropical and temperate Australian species that will stay outside all year round.New Guinea even has a mountain species that can handle the cold.

Thanks for the feedback so far [MENTION=8516]none[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION]

I don't know what breed I want to get yet but on of my mates caught some wild ones from out near Browns plains somewhere and they look amazing but I would like to purchase my ones to support the industry however I don't really know what ones I want yet as im still deciding if I want just one tank purely for rainbows or a mixed tank any suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk