Hey everybody Chris here, I purchased a second hand fx5 today it came with media in it but I was wanting to put some fresh stuff in it.. I just wanted to ask everybody what they use and how the have their fx5's set up.

cheers Chris,

I've got an fx6 but there pretty much the same thing. In my bottom basket I have filter floss(which needs to be changed when gets to cloggy) and 2 big bags of purigen. In the middle one its full of seachem matrix bio media, and in the top basket I have the course foam then medium foam and fine foam just to try break down all the gunk before it gets to my media. Hope that helps ya

i have no mechanical media added to fx5 the foam pads it comes with are fine the whole reason for owning a fx5/6 is high flow rate and large bio media volume.... Any fine foams or pads will clog fast and reduce flow quickly imo your canister filter is something you want to set up and not have to clean or disturb for months at a time if u reali want to polish the water add an internal quick and easy to clean and you not disturbing your good bacteria when there is no need to..... I know a lot of people in this hobby that don't clean canister filters for up to 4/6months or untill you see a noticeable drop in flow rate.... To sum it up fill that bad boy with bio media and if you want some Chem like macropore or chemi pure don't add hassle or waste space with fine foam or polishing pads .....imo

Edited by Jase86uxb

Atm it's just got the outside foam bits on each basket and then in the centre of each level it's full of matrix media.. It seems to be doing a great job of my tank but when u look from end to end of the tank their is a slight tinge to the water prob from one of the terracotta pots I have in the tank, is their anything I can use to remove this very slight discolouration..

Your tanks a 5x2 ? I'd probably look at 1lter split in 2 bags swap out when needs recharging just don't let the bag not in use dry out I put mine in ziplock bags keeps em moist

i have no mechanical media added to fx5 the foam pads it comes with are fine the whole reason for owning a fx5/6 is high flow rate and large bio media volume.... Any fine foams or pads will clog fast and reduce flow quickly imo your canister filter is something you want to set up and not have to clean or disturb for months at a time if u reali want to polish the water add an internal quick and easy to clean and you not disturbing your good bacteria when there is no need to..... I know a lot of people in this hobby that don't clean canister filters for up to 4/6months or untill you see a noticeable drop in flow rate.... To sum it up fill that bad boy with bio media and if you want some Chem like macropore or chemi pure don't add hassle or waste space with fine foam or polishing pads .....imo

Jase is right on the money here. I have 3 fx5's on my 10x4 and only run the standard foam pads for mechanical. I jam as much biological in as I can. Bottom basket is full to the top of matrix, middle basket is full of ceramic noodles, and top basket is a mix of both. I then place a round fluval polishing pad on top. I run my purigen through a separate canister. My big tank is biologically stable and the water crystal clear, all thanks to fx5's that have loads of bio media.

Edited by Lofties