Good morning! Hope everyone is having a brilliant Saturday. I just have a few questions.

1- what are some options for plants to grow on this piece of driftwood at the top of my tank? I'd like mossy/short stuff that fish can swim around in. Its pretty close to my 96watt plant tube so high light level? Preferably one that easy to attach and not too delicate as I have to move the wood around a bit.

dc8d9ae6a0e77b2f1d0a7981a3c4ea42.jpg

2- top level swimmers. Suggestions for these? I've got water just above neutral thats slightly hard and about 26 degrees. Currently stocked with schools of penguin tetras, Rummynose and a pair of young Angels. So nothing nippy please. I'll be progressively trying to soften my water and lower ph a bit so that's also a factor.

3- best all-round algae eater? I don't currently have anything specifically controlling algae in the tank. What would be the best option with my water parameters? Mainly concerned with a small scattering of algae over the glass and some new light stuff on plant leaves. I also have some long brown tough stuff that travelled on Anubis driftwood from another tank.

There's probably much more I need to ask but that's all I can think of right now :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help you with the plants, as I'm not a plant person.

Hatchet fish are a good surface fish, but you need tight lids with no gaps. Glad wrap becomes a useful tool.

Unless you are using RO water, trying to lower the pH and achieving soft water can be very difficult. There are a lot products on the market that claim to lower pH or create soft water that really don't work or don't work long term. You are also better off using a water ageing barrel or IBC to "make" your water in, rather than trying to do it in the tank.

Personally it's much better to keep a steady pH rather than messing about trying achieve some mythical, perfect water.

You could try bristlenose or a Siamese algae eater for the algae, but if there's too much you may need to remove some by hand.

Is the long brown stuff Blackbeard algae?

For plants, best bet is to stick to any kind of moss.. but other plants that can grow on the driftwoods are any species of anubias, java ferns.. and any echinodorus species.. which im not a fan of any of these, but these will stick to any hardscape!

For algae, id go with siamese algae eaters. I have otos but they may be too small for your tank.. but upto you. I find that my pleco didnt really eat algae but did do a good job cleaning up left overs.

Thank you for the replies!

Are bristlenose likely to eat algae off leaves without harming them? I'm considering getting some for the glass but I was wondering if I need something else as well. I've heard bad things about SAE, getting aggressive and not eating algae as they get larger? I know there a few 'false' SAEs though...

Would you consider snails instead? I don't want an infestation!

I think I do have Blackbeard algae on the leaves of my Anubias. I also have a much longer brown hairy algae that is growing on some pieces of driftwood.

In regards to a rain water collector and ager- do they commonly get high levels of ammonia after sitting long enough to collect water? I've considered making a set up under a down pipe but we are just coming into winter (dry) and my tank is quite large. Is it preferable for traditionally soft and acidic water fish such as Angels to remain in alkaline harder water than to mess them around? Will they be healthy long term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk