hi everyone i know this sounds weird but do fish have sex...... :oops:

if so how long does a female stay pregnant for, and how do you know when they are or what do they look like when doing it.

i am not a perv :roll: but just curious because i spend hours a day watching the fish and was wondering if i have seen it happening. thanks.

oh yeah they are cichlids, africans. i know plecos get gravid looking but what about cichlids thanks.

lol perv!!!

JK :lol:

Dosent the female lay the eggs and the male does a dance over them lol and they swim in circles? then she picks them up in her mouth...

Your tank sounds boring my fish r breeding alll the time.. im sure asi am posting they r going for it... They are very lucky fish lmao :lol:

hehe closet perv i think not maybe people not fish though :wink:

thanks for the vid link that has helped out heaps thanks.

oh mark how many do you want have a few nearing that size now.

i am starting to think that i should stick with bn :roll:

none of the cichlids like to spawn for me, maybe i put them off sitting there with my binoculars :wink: :oops:

If your really curious go and buy a couple of female mollies and a male they go at it all day.

The egg layers are a little different but the rainbows one male will stake out his turf and do a little dance around the female and chase off any other male and it is a good time to take a photo as the fish really color up.

That clips a crackup. :D

yeah i have watched guppies so guessing mollies are the same. i am soooo impatient, but hey you have to be in this hobby.

i have seen the yellows chasing each other around but no mouthfull there. oh well i will leave them alone and see what happens.

But isn't the video incorrect. My understanding is taht after the male is just circling to encourage the laying of eggs but no sperm is deposited. To fertilise the eggs the male displays his egg spot to the female and when she goes to pick up the "eggs" fertilises the eggs direct in the mouth.

Lucky him

Steve

yer agree with you brad as well and steve is kind of right to from what i have learnt and been told that the male does flash the egg spots so he gets a second chance to make sure the sperm get on the eggs and yes that is while they are in the girls mouth so i think you are both right in a way lol but hey what right blooded male wouldnt want to have the second go as well lol :lol::lol::lol::twisted:

mark