So someone just opened up my mind about driftwood floating after a dry start method.

Even after weeks of soaking and hours of boiling, a dry start method usually takes weeks to complete, and in those weeks the driftwood would dry up enough to float again when tank is flooded with water.

Is there any way of tackling this problem without drilling holes into driftwood/slate or gluing the driftwood?

I know some scapes, you can put rocks ontop of driftwood but any other options?

Give it time and if it did sink before it will do so again.

But there are some timbers that will not sink, ever.

I've got a lovely piece, been soaking for over a year, still floating.....

I overcame this problem by using the suction cup clips from an old glass heater, I tied it to my dritfwood with cotton which will eventually rot away and made sure it was firmly attached to the glass at the bottom of the tank and hidden under the substrate. worked like a charm to keep my large piece underwater when the tank was finally filled.

Give it time and if it did sink before it will do so again.

But there are some timbers that will not sink, ever.

I've got a lovely piece, been soaking for over a year, still floating.....

One year? Thats crazy! I wouldn't have the patience.. haha

Super glue and lead weights.

I didnt think of lead weights, thatd work nicely. Am trying to avoid glues and screws.

I overcame this problem by using the suction cup clips from an old glass heater, I tied it to my dritfwood with cotton which will eventually rot away and made sure it was firmly attached to the glass at the bottom of the tank and hidden under the substrate. worked like a charm to keep my large piece underwater when the tank was finally filled.

Sounds like a good idea! I have heaps of suction cups available :)

I didnt think of lead weights, thatd work nicely. Am trying to avoid glues and screws.

Sounds like a good idea! I have heaps of suction cups available :)

12oz Snapper lead sinkers from kmart would do the trick.

post-3726-14711635286202_thumb.jpg

0f68317c02806ba529044680cbdcccf4.jpg see the vertical piece of wood between the dollars that's a "prop" holding the very floaty big Ol piece of wood dwn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah i see the prop. Is it stuck between driftwood and the tank bracing?

Super glue and lead weights.
Yup yup

Thatd work if I had bracing but mines only small tank and driftwood only 1ft! But woulf surely consider it when I have a bigger scape :)