Hey guys,

I've been thinking about setting up my 530L 6ft tank as a tanganyikan biotope.

Was wondering whether there was anybody who has some experience with this kind of tank who could possibly help with stocking thoughts and setup etc.

Thanks in advance!

- Fuzzy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hey mate

I can most definitely help

I imagine you're after a whole mix of tangs?

Basically -

Sand substrate + rocky areas are the go

You'll want a mix of fish so stuff that gets along

Fish for the sand - sandsifter or two

Fish for the mid water like ventralis

Fish for the top/open water - cyprichromis leptosoma

Rocky area - Nigripinnis and Julidochromis

Shells - a shell dweller like similis

Hope that gives you some ideas

Feel free to PM me, also I can supply all the fish you need

Cheers

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Yeh i was definitely thinking a community set-up. I love the look of neolamprologus brichardis but the more i read the more they seem to be tagged as super aggressive? Would having the brichardis limit my stocking?

In regards to the rockwork is there anywhere you would would reccomend looking? Id obviously need a decent chunk with the size of the tank and would rather grab it all at once.

Also would hardier plants be alright in this setup? I love my anubias and possibly some java fern or crypts?

Edit: oh and white/tan sand is definitely the plan

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Yeh i was definitely thinking a community set-up. I love the look of neolamprologus brichardis but the more i read the more they seem to be tagged as super aggressive? Would having the brichardis limit my stocking?

In regards to the rockwork is there anywhere you would would reccomend looking? Id obviously need a decent chunk with the size of the tank and would rather grab it all at once.

Also would hardier plants be alright in this setup? I love my anubias and possibly some java fern or crypts?

Edit: oh and white/tan sand is definitely the plan

Yeah anubis should be fine

Brichardi are crazy lol, once they start breeding, all your fish will be kept in one corner scared for their lives

But as for rock, I just use river rock, but in other setups I've done I've used base coral rock, texas holey rock etc.

Whatever you like the look of

If you like brichardi how about these, or [MENTION=7853]The Fishroom[/MENTION] has some nice buescheri.

post-231-14711635325167_thumb.jpg

Can someone find me some tanganicodus please. I want some.

My display has leleupi, trets, comps, julies, similis and is a crazy tank. Lots of aggression.

In my garage I have another growing tank that is much calmer with comps, cyprichromis, meleagris (that are doing nothing) n'bodhoi.

I agree with the suggestion, and it applies for every tank, what is the must have fish and then choose the rest to suit that fish environment.

If i were to have Benthochromis Tricoti Kigoma as a main fish what would ideal tankmates be... looking at these to be one of the mains along with furcifer kigoma and possibly frontosa kigoma in a 10x4x2.5..... (dream stage atm)

Brichardi just means you step up the aggro. They aint gonna bother fish such as Ctenochromis horei, trets and Tanganicodus irsacae. But they do make it hard to keep the more chill stuff. Variablechromis moori could be a good sub for them maybe.

I do like the looks of the Variablechromis Moori. I take this is simply a milder fish temperament wise? As it would be my first foray into Rift Lake cichlids I wouldn't want to have a heavily aggressive tank. I'll leave that for when iv've got more experience.

If I used V. Moori as my main fish for a community tank, what kind of stocking could i possibly look at?

I do like the looks of the Variablechromis Moori. I take this is simply a milder fish temperament wise? As it would be my first foray into Rift Lake cichlids I wouldn't want to have a heavily aggressive tank. I'll leave that for when iv've got more experience.

If I used V. Moori as my main fish for a community tank, what kind of stocking could i possibly look at?

Kinda dont want to put my bias on you as so many different options.

Buuut.... speckle back lepto, decampsi and eretmodus.... open water, sand and rocks.

The moori like ledges.... sort of like steps. They be rather hard to sex too.

Soooo many options though. A good book to make a short list from, and then a chat with shon on whats around would more likely = a custom stocking perfect for you.

Done well these fish just dont die. So you want to choose well as its literally a tv you cant change the channel on.... well not without a fair effort.

Pretty much everything else I said in my first post haha

fish for the sand - sandsifter or two

fish for the mid water like ventralis

fish for the top/open water - cyprichromis leptosoma

rocky area - nigripinnis and V. Moori

shells - a shell dweller like similis

Pretty much everything else I said in my first post haha

fish for the sand - sandsifter or two

fish for the mid water like ventralis

fish for the top/open water - cyprichromis leptosoma

rocky area - nigripinnis and V. Moori

shells - a shell dweller like similis

Right so if i was looking at something along the lines of callochromis pleurospilus, Ophthalmotilapia ventralis, cyprichromis leptosoma, Variablechromis Moori, Paracyprichromis nigripinnis and Neolamprologus Similis what would my stocking numbers look like for these? I really like the look of all of them and there is some really nice colour that I can see :)

My water is pH around 7.8 with hardness around 7-8 for gh and 8-9 for kh. How would that hold up for the aforementioned tangs? No real problems tweaking parameters if necessary.

Also out of curiosity what would you recommend for filtration: the 130l sump of fluval fx6?

Final question (in this bombardment, sorry) lighting. The plants i've mentioned are pretty low but what type of light do you guys use on your tang tanks? Just so I can get some ideas

Right so if i was looking at something along the lines of callochromis pleurospilus, Ophthalmotilapia ventralis, cyprichromis leptosoma, Variablechromis Moori, Paracyprichromis nigripinnis and Neolamprologus Similis what would my stocking numbers look like for these? I really like the look of all of them and there is some really nice colour that I can see :)

My water is pH around 7.8 with hardness around 7-8 for gh and 8-9 for kh. How would that hold up for the aforementioned tangs? No real problems tweaking parameters if necessary.

Also out of curiosity what would you recommend for filtration: the 130l sump of fluval fx6?

Final question (in this bombardment, sorry) lighting. The plants i've mentioned are pretty low but what type of light do you guys use on your tang tanks? Just so I can get some ideas

For lights - I just have breeding tanks so I don't have any lights, but I'm sure a nice T5 bulb would look great or even LEDs

Water sounds perfect, if anything maybe increase those values a tad, pH to 8.4 and kH and gH to 12-14

Filtration - I prefer sumps

8-10 callochromis pleurospilus

10 ophthalmotilapia ventralis

10-12 cyprichromis leptosoma

6 variablechromis moori

10 paracyprichromis nigripinnis

6 neolamprologus similis

For lights - I just have breeding tanks so I don't have any lights, but I'm sure a nice T5 bulb would look great or even LEDs

Water sounds perfect, if anything maybe increase those values a tad, pH to 8.4 and kH and gH to 12-14

Filtration - I prefer sumps

8-10 callochromis pleurospilus

10 ophthalmotilapia ventralis

10-12 cyprichromis leptosoma

6 variablechromis moori

10 paracyprichromis nigripinnis

6 neolamprologus similis

Awesome I was looking at a pretty basic led setup.

What would be the best way to bump these alues up? Limestone rock seems like the strongest option? Or am i better off adding some things to my sump to bump the values up? Oh and definitely feeling the sump idea so its looking like that will be the plan :)

Thanks again for all your help with this guys.

Awesome I was looking at a pretty basic led setup.

What would be the best way to bump these alues up? Limestone rock seems like the strongest option? Or am i better off adding some things to my sump to bump the values up? Oh and definitely feeling the sump idea so its looking like that will be the plan :)

Thanks again for all your help with this guys.

Best would be to add some buffers and salts

You can always scope vids off u-tube for ideas to get a feel for the real thing. Here's a quicky from Ikola dive. Add a single Tropheus for some endless motion to the display. Click the hyperlink, the inserted video does not play here for some reason??

Okay - neither links works??? Must be the problem with the lower case thing atm @webmaster

https://youtu.be/jcXPTMtsDvU

back to stills

post-6679-1471163533159_thumb.jpg

Edited by aqc247

Iv used sechem products to good effect, they do a lake specific buffer, I ulso use the African cichlid trace elements blend too, keeps everything nice and stable

I do like sachem products salt and the buffer.

I don't advocate to aspire for Donnydom but:rofl: