grubby

Bloody Energex want to do some maintenance in my street and cut the power for 6hrs

Ok tonight I got a letter from Energex, informing me that on the 13th of June they are going to cut the power for 6 hrs from 8.30 am till 2.30 pm. In the middle of bloody winter. FFS !!!!!:mad2:

My situation.

1:a rack of 9 2ft tanks all on sponge filters with a large aerator powering the lot through a loop of irrigation pipe.

- said rack has 6 cold water rainbow tanks (rhads, blue eyes) and 3 tropical tanks (PNG Rainbows).

- non of these tanks are over stocked, so I am not worried about a lack of air for 6 hours nor am I worried about heat as two of the tropical tanks contain Boesmani that until the beginning of May were in an out door pond. In any case my rack and garage are well insulated.

2:Where I am worried is my planted indoor display tank, which is a mixed tropical tank.

- it contains about $300 dollars worth of Tetras, Hatchet Fish and miscellaneous tropicals and nerite snails.

- It is a Juwel 120 Lido

- I have a jaeger 100w on it.

- I have an Eheim 2213 on it.

- and aeration from an aerator and obviously no CO2.

-the tank is planted.

- the tank can best be described as heavily stocked for effect.

Given that it is the middle of winter, my main concerns are.

-Heat or lack of.

-The bacteria dying in the canister.

-a lack of oxygen due to the heavy stocking of the tank.

Obviously I can add a battery powered aerator. That isn't the issue. I am more concerned about a canister full of dead bacteria.

Should I be concerned for 6 hours ?

I have heard you can request a generator from Energex for this eventuality. Should I be worried or just go with it for 6 hours, its not that long really.

Thoughts people.

Edited by grubby

Also, have time to order one of these, took about 10 days for mine to arrive. Reasonable head height and flow rate - was surprised.

need a 12v power supply, old car batteries work for me.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-6-12V-5W-Submersible-Water-Pump-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Fountain-Pond-Pump-500L-H-/121614209372?hash=item1c50c5915c

Energex cut our power for 8hours couple of weeks ago did not use any battery operated stuff have heavily stocked and planted 450lit tank. My only concern was a chinese canister that leaks when turned off and on (was lucky this time) Tank has 7 large discus and had no problems. Also no problems in 200lit tank with angels and cories

What kills the bacteria? Lack of flow or food source? If it was flow couldn't you be able to add an air stone directly into the canister to circulate the water?

We are in behind Grand Ave Primary. Where are you ?

6 hours shouldnt hurt.

I use to have a generator.. if only i still had it, i would have lent it.

Which side of forest lake are you at?

very unlucky for you mate..

What kills the bacteria? Lack of flow or food source? If it was flow couldn't you be able to add an air stone directly into the canister to circulate the water?

Lack of flow. The whole lot goes anaerobic . On my side is that it is winter and it is only 6 hours.

You can put the cannister baskets in the tank and run an airstone under them to keep flow and aeration.

As for temp try to warm the room/ house to tank temp before the shut down and keep everything closed to trap the heat.

You can hire generators from kennards but I have heard of energex supplying generators to people with tanks so maybe give them a call.

Failing all that an inverter and car battery connected to a charger would work but it could be pricey getting one that will handle a few heaters.

Cheers mick

Energex cut our power for 8hours couple of weeks ago did not use any battery operated stuff have heavily stocked and planted 450lit tank. My only concern was a chinese canister that leaks when turned off and on (was lucky this time) Tank has 7 large discus and had no problems. Also no problems in 200lit tank with angels and cories

That is encouraging. I might just use a battery operated aerator and a doona if its chilly on the day.

What I am going to do is this.

1 do a water change the day before. On the morning unclip the filter, take it and the changed water and a spare set of inflow and outflow lines take this lot to my work. Run the lot through a bucket and then take it home and re-attach.

2. run the tank on a battery pump and put doona over tank if it is a cold day.

Give canister media a clean then place in a bucket with a battery powered air pump.

Borrow some more battery air pumps.

Sticky tape styrofoam sheets to warm tanks... aka turn them into eskys.

Dont feed day before.

Once power back, put media back in canister and away you go.

Remember 6 hours is an educated guess.

My fishrooms a mess but happy to lend ya some battery air pumps if i can find them lol

last time a scheduled power outage happened on our street, energex didn't lend me a generator. Even called insurance just in case but fish are not covered. i have canisters on my tank and they just turned back on when the job was finish. i wasn't home when they did the job, but was lucky that i didn't have any casualty.

Give canister media a clean then place in a bucket with a battery powered air pump.

Borrow some more battery air pumps.

Sticky tape styrofoam sheets to warm tanks... aka turn them into eskys.

Dont feed day before.

Once power back, put media back in canister and away you go.

Remember 6 hours is an educated guess.

My fishrooms a mess but happy to lend ya some battery air pumps if i can find them lol

Thank dude I might take you up on that. Mind you its a good excuse for me to finally buy one of these . :rofl:

http://hypark-specialty.myshopify.com/products/mino-mizer

With the heating, the tank should be able to hold its heat anyway. Covered with a blanket ect would be good too.

Leave the lights on overnight to get a bit extra oxy into the tank that way.

With the filter, if you can't get a batt airpump, clean it about 3days b4 so as to not knock the bacteria around too much. Feed the fish very lightly, if at all for those 3days...the hatchets can be fed with a little bit of baby brine sparingly.

But the filter media, if you take it out and put it onto/into something and ad just enough water to half cover it...not totally covered... to keep it moist, that'll be fine to keep the bact alive and thriving (as in the same principal as a wet/dry setup)

Or you can dump the media in a bucket and add an airstone.

I guess it depends on how much effort, (and strange looks you'll get at work) , it is to take the filter and bucket to work with you.

Edited by thatsright99

We had a power cut last week for 6 hours. I only found out from our neighbour once I got home from work and noticed the alarm clock had reset itself. I shat a proverbial brick and ran around like a maniac checking tanks and doing head counts lol I had four canisters go off and back on again 6hrs later (plus everything else) without any noticble effects on the fish. I did a water change that night, rinsed the canister media in the changed tank water and removed the "snow" through the tanks from the canisters having restarted and everything has gone along fine ever since. No blooms of any nasties or spikes in water params. At least you have warning that yours is looming, our whole street was just shut down without warning but I don't think it was a major as far as the fish were concerned but then I guess it also depends on your fish, I had malawis, frontosa, my mangrove jack and cats....if you have robust fish like these I would say things will be ok without too much stressing about taking filters to work.

G'day Grubby, I've got a lil genny you can borrow mate. Nothin huge, just a lil unit as backup for the same type of thing with my tanks. You'll have to test it a day or 2 before to see how much of your gear it'll run but you're welcome to borrow it.

I'm down at Upper Coomera but might end up with a job around Brissy before your power outage to save you k's :)

G'day Grubby, I've got a lil genny you can borrow mate. Nothin huge, just a lil unit as backup for the same type of thing with my tanks. You'll have to test it a day or 2 before to see how much of your gear it'll run but you're welcome to borrow it.

I'm down at Upper Coomera but might end up with a job around Brissy before your power outage to save you k's :)

Pete, that is really kind of you, but I have everything in hand now.

Thanks though mate,

Phil:clap2: