Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is red algae fine for bristlenose to eat? Coz it's covered my rocks in my African tank, was thinking about putting a female bn in there. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a dark red furry algae, I have my light on a fair bit sonic guessing that's why it's growing a lot, but I'll take a photo when I get home today so you can tell me exactly which one it is :) Thankyou!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Picture?

Sounds like diatomaceous.... which bn love.

But if its cyanobacteria..... it could be more toxic.

image_14.jpeg

There it is, more like a maroon colour. Think it would be ok to out a bn in there to eat it? Or is it toxic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I see it. A common one in the lake so..... authentic biotype. Looks rather cyano so not a good one for bristlenose. I would try an old toothbrush taped to a hose.... so you can scrub and syphon it out. Low nitrates and high phosphates?

Could also try black out the tank for a few days.

Could try a bn i spose.... but if its a prob in need of an urgent fix I would try the red slime treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its more a bacteria than an algae. So antibiotics are more likely to work than algaecides.

Keep in mind the algae shouldnt kill fish..... so make sure you are careful with treatments to kill algae.... as they are more risky to fish health if you dont follow instructions.

Likely the rocks are old and loaded with phosphates. As they leech from rock into water column their surface is perfect spot for algae to grow. Its a common reef problem thats often solved by a technique called cooking or by the addition of gfo to compete with algae for phosphates.

How long has it been blooming? You may be able to do nothing and just wait it out. But if aesthetics is doing feng shui damage in house hold splurging on some chemi-clean should end its reign.

Oh and lets try get some one elses opinion too

fixtheforumpls

It might be dead black beard after all.

Edited by Donny@ageofaquariums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok yep, to be honest I don't really mind the look of it haha but missus recons it looks dirty. It's been going for a couple of weeks now, when I had red zebras in the tank it wasn't a problem because they would always eat it all but they didn't die. Do you know of a product I could buy to get rid of it? I've got a broken leg at the moment so it's a bit difficult to even clean the tanks at the moment so if I could buy something that was easy would be a lot better for me. Thanks for the help matei appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright sweet I'll have to get some. Lucky enough the hose is nice and close to the tanks so I'm sweet doing water changes with some help from the wife so that's no worries. Cheers again bud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...