grokzy

Hikari bio gold or gold?

At the moment I'm feeding both of these pellets to my 6ft American tank. Was just wondering what the big difference is between the 2 or just the price tag. Is it worth paying little extra for the bio gold or just stick with regular gold? Cheers

One of the things I was chatting to the Hikari Rep was that the probiotic was not only healthy benefit for the fish but also resulted in reduced waste. There is a good article that takes it further on the website OscarFish where they mention up to a 50% reduction in fish waste.

There is a good article that takes it further on the website OscarFish where they mention up to a 50% reduction in fish waste.

Can you link the article? The one I read on oscarfish mentions this briefly -and pushes the message that a hungry fish is a healthy fish- but I am confused how a food can cause less fish waste. (Assuming we are talking fish Poo!, not uneaten food).

I would have though a fish that poos a lot is a healthy fish.

I have to respect the rules here so I can not put up a link. I feel I am about to open a can of worms but anyway that's what fish like...

so if you type in oscarfish and then .com you will find the site and on the left hand side go down and click on 4 star foods and you will see a list of what they rate as 4 star foods and you will see what they have to say about Hikari Bio Gold and the probiotic.

Oh wow, Learning time for me again, thanks Techden and Heintz.

Are there other pages/sites similar to this which are not afraid to review fish food? With supporting evidence lol.

Biogold does come in sinking lol.

Foods with better quality ingredients, result in more of it being digested and thus less waste.

Have to admit theres plenty on that oscarfish website I disagree with. Lots of good info, sprinkled with some thats just wrong. It also misses out key factors such as extrusion temperature, packing tech and even container seal. Doesnt matter how good an ingredient is if you burn the goodness out of it, store it in oxygen or let humidity soak in.

It should be noted that the actual nutrition a given fish gets from its food is largely decided by the make up and health of the microbe colonies living in its gut. If you use antibiotics a fishes ability to efficiently convert feed to weight is heavily impacted until its good microbes recover.

Foods with better quality ingredients, result in more of it being digested and thus less waste.

Fish will excrete food without having digested it? But it does make sense that a higher 'quality' food will be easier to digest and more nutritious, but...

And yes the oscarfish food page did seem to have an agenda on a niche aspect of food quality.

Non digested fecal matter is a common cause of disease out breaks in heavily stocked tanks. Aquaculture foods with mammal bone meal and flour heavy cheap algae discs are 2 examples.

You can guess an optimal diet based on whether a fish is carnivorous or herbivorous BUT you cant tell which gut flora it actually has and they do the real work.

Fish poop is over 80% dead bacteria. And thats fairly consistent over most animals. The bacteria they have is decided by the food you feed. Variety of ingredients = microbe diversity.

Trouble hits when you suddenly drastically change diets, as it takes a while for the microbe populations to adjust. Think about a vegan having a roast for dinner.... its going to be a shock to their guts. Or that episode where the simpsons tried to eat veggies for dinner.

Same thing happens with discus and tropheus.

You want to see brand loyalty? Ask a long term keeper of either what they feed.

Biogold does come in sinking lol.

Have to admit theres plenty on that oscarfish website I disagree with. Lots of good info, sprinkled with some thats just wrong. It also misses out key factors such as extrusion temperature, packing tech and even container seal. Doesnt matter how good an ingredient is if you burn the goodness out of it, store it in oxygen or let humidity soak in.

It should be noted that the actual nutrition a given fish gets from its food is largely decided by the make up and health of the microbe colonies living in its gut. If you use antibiotics a fishes ability to efficiently convert feed to weight is heavily impacted until its good microbes recover.

Where can I buy this online please mate? No here in little old Adelaide sells it.