crusty76

Air stones suck! can anyone recomend a BIG air stone/s that looks good and wont clog?

Hi all I'm sick and tired of replacing big ball air stones in my BIG tank can anyone recommend a big air stone that wont clog in 6 months or less? atm I'm using big ball stones and they just clog up in no time at $7 each I use 4 at a time iv tried cleaning them soaking them in vinegar nothing works very well any ideas out there? its a display tank so the plastic screw together type are a no go

In a really big tank.... Have you seen how the bubbles look when coming out without any air stone or diffuser? Bigger bubbles but can look good in large tanks. And no stones to replace.

If the aim is oxygenation then smaller bubbles are best. Big bubbles really only oxygenate by breaking water surface. Smaller ones actually put oxygen in the water. The cost though is that they can make the water look a bit cloudy. If you want a read on this, its worth looking into the approach taken in aquaculture.

http://advocate.gaalliance.org/testing-micro-nanobubble-generating-device-at-different-salinities/

http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5744e/x5744e0m.htm

These do look into the effect of salinity too. Thanks to Rebel for these links, a dry but informative read indeed.

As far as solving the problem though, a flexible air curtain could be the solution here. Enlarging the holes by shanking it with a nail should do the trick as far as preventing them clogging up. I find a smaller one (30cm) coiled like an energy saver light bulb, doesnt look too bad and gets the job done long term. Our water seems to clog stones with white mineral sludge, which acid often doesnt clear.

If the aim is oxygenation then smaller bubbles are best. Big bubbles really only oxygenate by breaking water surface. Smaller ones actually put oxygen in the water. The cost though is that they can make the water look a bit cloudy. If you want a read on this, its worth looking into the approach taken in aquaculture.

http://advocate.gaalliance.org/testing-micro-nanobubble-generating-device-at-different-salinities/

http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5744e/x5744e0m.htm

These do look into the effect of salinity too. Thanks to Rebel for these links, a dry but informative read indeed.

As far as solving the problem though, a flexible air curtain could be the solution here. Enlarging the holes by shanking it with a nail should do the trick as far as preventing them clogging up. I find a smaller one (30cm) coiled like an energy saver light bulb, doesnt look too bad and gets the job done long term. Our water seems to clog stones with white mineral sludge, which acid often doesnt clear.

Thanks guys interesting read! but I wanted a stone that wont clog so easy! lol might have to try the flexi air curtain trick

If the aim is oxygenation then smaller bubbles are best. Big bubbles really only oxygenate by breaking water surface. Smaller ones actually put oxygen in the water.

Thanks for the links [MENTION=2383]ageofaquariums[/MENTION], until now I had thought air bubbles have only a small input into oxygenating water, and that surface movement and decreased surface tension was key to gas transfer. Always good to see evidence like that first link especially which shows what is what.

Now... In a traditional shaped long tank, at moderate to high stocking levels and standard temp range, are many tanks lacking sufficient oxygen? I use air driven sponges in my tanks and love them, a secondary benefit from them is water movement and surface agitation, I suspect the actual oxygenation from the bubbles is overkill.

With the blue air stones (and other coloured 'cemented' ones) if you scrape them on the side of the tank a bit, that'll remove the cr@p and be as good as new. The back of a knife works too.

Thanks mate tried that trick but they are still the same?

I use two 10 or 12 inch air stones (the blue ones with orange plastic bases) as an air curtain in my tank, I have never had a problem with them clogging and I found them better than the flexi curtain as you can bury them under substrate easily. I used to have a flexi one in my old tank, when it would clog up I used to use an air compressor to blow it out. Worked a treat for a while until it clogged again.