HaydnRex

Marine Noob!

So I just bought my first marine tank and I have no idea what I'm doing! Haha

I managed to pick up an aqua one mini reef 120.

Nice looking little tank and I'm pretty excited to try my hand at marine.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for information on setting up my first salt tank?

Also I'm not too far from the ocean, is there any reason I can't get water direct from the source? Does anything have to be done to make sea water safe for aquarium use?

And how long can I store it for water changes?

Thanks guys I look forward to reading your comments.

Call in and see the staff at Tech Den, they are marine addicts and sooooo helpful. They also sell the water, products and even have corals etc in stock.

By the time you leave you will have everything you need to get started and they won't sell you crap you don't need either :)

well u cant get nsw at this time as its raining u can keep nsw for about 6 weeks but as mitch.O said ask tech den how much there see water is or smiths sell it or u could try Nielsen's Marine Mates

From the ocean is the best anyway and being that it is salt water, it can sit for 50 years or a couple of days, it makes no difference.

Just don't let it evaporate while in the container or it will raise the salinity of that water.

Just head down to brighton or shorncliff or where ever that is not near the bris river and its all good.

Get it a few days to a week after normal rain and after heavy rain, a week or two and always let it sit for 2 to 4 days before use for water changes and when using it to start a tank, use it straight away!!!

If you want to buy salt to make your own, its good stuff, just start a marine tank on fresh from the ocean water, always!

I got 3x 20L jerry cans to do my water originally, 2 white and 1 blue so i can easily explain to a family member if i need them to do some fresh water evaporation top ups while im away. I have the same kit aquaone120l will be retiring it to a quarantine tank when my next project is finished so if you break something chase me down

On the topic of collecting nsw, where would you recommend on south side liquidg? Or do you know of a trusted nsw carrier that will collect and deliver 800L? Im in annerley

Step 1. Work out the species you want to keep.

Step 2. Optimize your setup to provide the preferred conditions for those species.

Hard to advise on step 2, until you have a answer for step 1.

But you need to cycle system as a first step anyway, and that means getting it wet.

I head down (from Bris)to the seaway to get Ocean water on the incoming tide(obviously not at the moment!) I'll get about 1000L a go. I've tried different places around Wynnum but it usually just seems to dirty. Last time I went to Wynnum creek there was an oil film at the boat ramp, needless to say I don't use bay water anymore.

That's the problem, I want everything! haha I just don't know what is suitable. I'd love a dwarf lionfish, I did read that they be kept in a 30-50 gal tank. I think this one is around 32 not including the sump. But I don't know if what I read is correct or not.

Some suggestions from experienced marine keepers on what types of fish do well together in a small tank would be greatly appreciated.

Its interesting folks perception of where the best waters are for water changes.

Back some 35 years or so I would test the sites to see where the test was reading rubbish, a mate knew a pro in several research fields who would test our water we would bring in from sites and products so we could copy them our selves, plus we helped him out with his tank life, that taught me heaps of where looked bad, but was not and looked good, but was not, the seaway wasn't there back then but we got the testing done later on anyway.

The south port sea way has a very substantial sewerage system let out into it that goes backwards forwards with the tide, eerr when I get caught heading back while either free diving or on scuba there and it gets let out before I exit the water, yuckkk, the water is yellow but hard to see from the shore due to the pipe is at around 30 feet down and the stink on my wet suit after that, it is hard to get it out as well.

The heavy metals and other toxins washed along from all the industry and from boats and back yards from the massive canal developments up stream and then if there is rain, all that goes into the Nerang river and drains and creeks heads to the sea way, yuukkk.

Jump in one day and try to find delicate inverts there, not a chance!

There are some inverts that get going there, but compared to those other three sites, the seaway is a stinking toilet!

The water gets very clear and transparent, but so is a multitude of killer chemicals.

One of the spots in that link on the gold coast is sewerage affected to a degree, but near nothing else, so its good.

The local one has sps acans, lps and much more just out off it indicating supreme, for that area, water quality.

The one up north in that link is the same, sps, lps and all matter of delicate marine life, just in front of your feet there.

Since the dredging of the bris river was stoped in 96 from starting in the 1800s when the bris river was on average 7 feet deep, maybe the difference from that happening is like comparing chalk-before 96 to now-cheese.

It will never be perfect, there are too many of us, so its up to you to learn possibly the fast hard way or the slow hard way, but I must admit, the hard way, you remember that the best.

If the guy referred to breeds the clowns, then they are usually hardier then wild caught, unless caught at a young stage, then both are the same.

This video is of a few latz I have in my tubs, the ones in my tanks I have had for some years, but these guys are of two that have not taken up their permanent sex yet, the two smaller ones, they are, for noobies, much easier.

Edited by liquidg

That's the problem, I want everything! haha I just don't know what is suitable. I'd love a dwarf lionfish, I did read that they be kept in a 30-50 gal tank. I think this one is around 32 not including the sump. But I don't know if what I read is correct or not.

Some suggestions from experienced marine keepers on what types of fish do well together in a small tank would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from fish.... what else are you thinking?

A dwarf lion would work fine in with pj cardinals.

Im not sure if I'm going to try real corals or settle for fake corals as I only have a cheap light at the moment. Maybe an anenome with a clown or two. I've also heard shrimp are awesome cleaners.

Fake corals can emit toxins that the colour is made up of.

Is your system matured/cycled yet, if so I have some shrimp you can have.

A mate I gave 8 of my tank bred red lines to wants to go predators, so I got him some nasties and got the red lines back, now with near no room as they now live with the true cleaner shrimps I have being leandrites, the peppermints and a pair of banded shrimp from in there are now living in coke bottles, lol, your tank is not cycled is it?

Thanks [MENTION=3166]liquidg[/MENTION] unfortunately not, I haven't evrn got it set up yet. Hopefully the rain will stay away long enough for me to be able to collect some water and get it started.

That's cool, to start your tank the salinity does not have to be right, to do a water change, then it has to be near right.

Just check it, if it is above 1.012, that's cool to start your aquarium, just top up with saltwater as it evaporates, the bacteria will be fine building a bacterium at that salinity and in a few weeks it will the correct salinity anyway, or just add water then add salt till it is correct.

Slightly lower salinity will give you a much better cycle anyway.

I have a resun cl450 running on my african tank that I will probably steal for this tank, I know its overkill but I already have it and hopefully it should be more efficient? [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION]

I bought it last summer because my tank was getting up around 30. I later discovered one of my jagers was staying on which definitely wasn't helping haha.

What sort of cleaners would be suitable with a lionfish? I'm also trying to decide whether I will have substrate or clear bottom.

Also I have never had a sump before so I'm a bit unsure how it shouls be set up. I will take a picture of how it is set up now when I get home from work and post it here.

I'd really like to get it as close to right the first time as possible.