Sign in to follow this  
saundma

Sick Discus (raised gill plate) (cloudy eyes)

So a week ago today I picked up 8 7-8cm discus from Darren Thomson aka Gold Coast Discus. First couple of days where fine apart from the normal settling in period. Then late on day two I noticed white spot on quiet a few of the fish. The following day I started Protozin treatment and seems to have cleared up nicely. (3rd day of treatment yesterday) However on day 3 I noticed that the Penang eruptions gill plate was raised on one side and the membrane is sticking out around 3-5mm when it takes a breath. Also there are some barely visible white lines/spots on the membrane when you look inside (please see photo) He is still breathing from both gills, colour is nice, behaviour is normal and eating fine. Then today I noticed that my blue diamonds eyes have gone cloudy (pop eye???) he is not eating and is very reserved. Are these problems possibly related and what can I do? I have spoken to quiet a few people and done hours of research with no firm diagnosis on what's happening to my tank.

Apart from the Protozin treatment for white spot I have been doing 50% wc daily and added 1tbs of salt per 60l.

Sorry for for the long story :/

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated... I have no idea what to do!

Ph: 7.5

Am: 0

Rite: 0

Rate 0-5

30 deg

Bare bottom 4x2x2 with a 3 foot sump, no plants, no other fish.

Setup in run completely on pre filtered rain water.

post-11837-14711635414617_thumb.jpg

White spot usually occurs on fish when stressed and the temperature drops lower than they like.

Cloudy eye is often a bacterial eye infection. Pop eye is something very different.

How often are you cleaning out the sump? Best thing you can have is a filter sock on the pipe that runs from the tank in to sump and clean or replace it every day. You might be doing regular water changes, but the waste is still building up in the sump.

The main thing with doing large water changes for discus, with fresh clean water, is to lower the bacteria count in the water. Removing built up waste daily will remove food for bacteria.

You can teat cloudy eye with Myxazin from Waterlife. But large daily water changes and waste removal should see it clear up just as quick.

I personally don't use and I steer people away from Waterlife products - although I'd say I'm in the minority. I've personally seen just the kind of symptoms you describe result from adverse reactions to Waterlife treatments. I would not use another Waterlife treatment myself. I'd maintain optimal conditions add a very small amount of salt and use something mild and general like Tri-Sulpha. That will help with the slime coat damage, gill burn and eye damage.

Also watch for aggression - it may be a factor with a new addition. Also ideally quarantine all new fish for at least a month before adding them to your main tank - ESPECIALLY when it comes to Discus. Was the new fish being kept at such a high pH when you got it? If not a sudden pH change can severely weaken (even kill) the fish and provide an ready opportunity for disease...

It sounds like gill fluke. Ammonia burn could be another thing but more fish are likely to have that a bit too. Possibly a drastic change in pH could stress it too. Is the temp that high bcoz of the treatment?

PH 6.8-7.2 is ideal

Temp 26-28 is ideal... unless treating for ? ( Esp whitespot)

Thanks for all your input guys, much appreciated as always.

[MENTION=3878]pk333[/MENTION] The sump overflows into two filter sock which i have been changing daily so sump should be squeaky clean.

Fish are looking a little better today to be honest. I have been doing 50% wc daily and treated with kasuri yesterday. Blue diamond eyes have cleared up considerably and he is eating again. Gill on the other one hasent changed much but he is eating heaps and acting normally so I'm assuming it's not an emergency. I have noticed a few of the fish "twitching" if that tells you anything?? Also today is day six of Protozin treatment but I'm hesitant to use it to be honest, things finally seem to be heading in the rite direction and I dont want to stuff it up :/ is final treatment necessary?

I'm thinking you mite be onto something re ph... I Mite bring it down slowly a couple of pts and see if there is any improvement. They did come from a slightly lower Ph.

Sign in to follow this