mjbar_1

Filter for new aquarium.

Hi

im just looking for opinions on filter selection for my new aquarium.

Its a 4 x 2 x 2. 400 liters

I have been looking at a fluval 406 and all so one like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aqua-Aquarium-External-Canister-Filter-Fish-Tank-UV-Light-MEDIA-KIT-2000L-H-/131247811389?roken=FmBhRY.

My main concern with the ebay one is reliability and also power usage 55w vs 20w for the fluval.

And with the 406 is it big enough.

I have all so been looking at the eheim professional 2228. But cant find much about it.

I dont have a huge budget as still have to get substrate, plants, lights, fish etc yet.

Is there any suggestion of other filters to look at also.

Thanks mike

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi! mjbar_1,

I'm still fairly new to fish keeping, but I have a Fluval 306 and my tank is only 3' (130L). It is working well for me but the flow rate may be not as fast once you cramp it with filter media (like I have). Fluval 406 is supposed to only handle up to 400L tank capacity, so I think perhaps you should consider a filter that can handle more to be on the safe side. I don't know much about Dynamic Power filter, but Eheim is a reputable/reliable brand. The initial cost saving of the cheaper brand may end up being more expensive in the long run. Hope you can find a good deal on an Eheim (consider a used one perhaps?).

I have ran one of the eBay canisters you linked for about 4 years now without issues but I have redundancy and spares on hand, ( haven't had to use them) worth considering as a spare impeller can be hard to get at short notice for eBay filters. Aquahollics have a lot of them. Do a few calcs on power consumption as it will run 24/7 it may pay to go for the flubal in the long run, I've never looked at it. Also look at if media is included or not because this can be a significant cost. I wouldn't go for the cheapest in media. I personally like sintered glass such as seachem matrix but there's a lot of people on here with more experience than me that can steer you in the right direction.

Canister flow rates tend to be given as best case, ie no media or head so I would oversize.

If you do go with the eBay bay filter I would run a second or supplementary filter it ovbviously depends on type and number of fish but I wouldn't go under 5 X tank capacity per hour. I run 2 X 2200lph canisters on my 450l tank.

I bought a Sun Sun 2000lph canister similar to the ebay ones at a shop in Rochdale South for my 5x2x2.5 $92 and it works great. Advertised in Gumtree under canister filter. I've since put it on my 4ft African tank. Here'a pic.post-17461-14711635426916_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mitch74

I have a 4x2x2 and use a sun sun 1200lph which I already had, it is not powerful enough so I also run an internal 1000lph and between them they work well. Had I used a 2400lph canister I would probably save on electricity, when the time comes I will upgrade. Only advantage of using an internal filter is it gives a good flow around tank.

Edited by peter m

I've got a 406 on my 4x2x1.5 with an 2000lph otto internal and tank is always spotless same with my 6x2x2 got an fx6 and otto internal on that and just an fx5 on my 4x3x2. I won't use any other brand then Fluval tbh I've had a good run with them

Hi

Thank you for the quick replys.

I think im goin to give this one a go.

eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130793664333.

From what i understand its the same as the dynamic power and sun suns. Just bigger.

Does this sound like a good way to go.

I figure by time i run 2 other filters im probably using just as much or more power.

And the initial out lay is a bit more friendly on the hip pocket.

Ill probably keep an eye out for a fx6 and maybe upgrade to one when the budget allows.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

I have a sunsun 2000lph on my african display as well as an fx5. Works fine just be gentle with the fittings. It has two tiny plastic tabs that lock the hoses in place, they break very easily.

While Fluval and Eheim are the traditional favourites, have heard many good reports on the Aqua One 2700. Perfect for 400 litres. One of our sponsors sell it, and IMO is worth researching.

I end up going with the protoge instead of a fluval for the moment. So i dont have one sorry.

I received the new filter in the mail yesterday and first impressions are pretty good. The finish quality is better than i expected. It seem like a pretty solid filter. Im yet to hook it up and try it yet though.