Hiya, been a while. Thought i'd share some of my current tanks

African cichlid tank

2178.jpg

Discus/Angel tank

2179.jpg

Gold sev tank

2180.jpg

Goldie tank (cloudy due to substrate change)

2181.jpg

Tetra tank

2182.jpg

Betta tank (currently only 1 male in residence, cloudy from new sand)

2183.jpg

Oscar tank

2184.jpg

very nice they look amazing :) may I ask what is in the bottom of the African tank? It looks like grass ? It looks great

Thank you :)

Indoor/outdoor fake grass mat that I cut to size :)

Beautiful looking tanks no doubt but I may have to be the Grinch here.:behindsofa:

How long have you had the astro turf in the tanks. I only ask as I feel that you may get nitrate build up under the astro turf that could harm your water quality.

Just something to keep in mind when doing your water changes.

Hi Alasse,

would you share with where you got the fake grass from also brand etc... i like the idea also and may give it a try

Cheers

Got it from The Reject Shop :) Tis the only type there, comes in a roll :)

Nice looking tanks!!

Thank you

Amazing tanks looks like you put in a lot of effort into them

I enjoy scaping and looking after them

Beautiful looking tanks no doubt but I may have to be the Grinch here.:behindsofa:

How long have you had the astro turf in the tanks. I only ask as I feel that you may get nitrate build up under the astro turf that could harm your water quality.

Just something to keep in mind when doing your water changes.

I've been using it for a while now.....very little gets under it. the backing it solid. I vacuum it same as gravel, that pulls mulm out of it easily. And if I feel its not clean enough, easy to pull out and hose off :)

Edited by Alasse

I highly approve of your aquariums. Design and upkeep are both excellent. You only need another 6 and you could do a calendar.

Thank you

I have more lol I just don't have pics of them.....my tanks keep me sane

I wasn't dissing the astro turf at all, it looks great. Just as long as you are aware of the possible nitrate build up under the astro turf, but it sounds like your on top of that.

Going by the sounds off it there may also be a few more people willing to give it a go.

Great idea.

Been there done that, build up underneath, nightmare pulling out every time to clean properly

I actually had a problem also now that you mention it. Back in the beginning when I was a total noobie. I had artificial turf.. I had some cories damage their barbells from the rough turf

No it won't. Take 3 mins to research nitrate removal !

You need anaerobic bacteria to break down the nitrates which you get in a deep gravel bed basically ( which is like 10+/-cm thick and/or dense enough to exclude oxygen..which in itself can cause problems, ie kill your fish if disturbed ect or water changes r the easiest way to remove them. ( tapwater seems to have around '20' on your test kits). You can also use 'chemical' filtration or a hell of a lot of plants.

If you're breeding certain fish or have some corals ect that you need low nitrates for you may need to get a R.O unit - which has its own problems

I appreciate that some may have had issues with using the fake grass matting. I however have not had issues. Maybe its the brand I am using I don't know. I get very little underneath, a bit goes down the sides but tis easy to vacuum out.

I am finding it much easier to keep the grass tanks clean than I did with gravel or sand, and honestly I prefer the look. :)

All I can say, if you are interested, give it a go and see if it works for you :)

wow they are awesome Alasse :) what size tanks are each of these?

Thank you

The tetra tank - 2ft 140litre

The goldie tank 3ft 190litre

The oscar tank 4ft 286litre

The discus/angel tank 5ft 300litre

The african tank 5ft 350litre

The betta tank 2.5ft 119litre