BristlenoseGirl

What size is to small? Selling BN Catfish

Ive grown up being told that 3cm is the size to reach before selling BN catfish, be it any type. I'm now at a stage that my peppermints are breeding like crazy, and by the time their fry are 1.5cm (in a separate tank) they have hatched another batch (in our community tank).

My question is, what size is to small to sell? I understand when they have their egg sacks, thats crazy too small. But what about 1.5cm? They are bigger, eating solids..

Whats your thoughts?

xx Cheers, BNgirl

I sell all types of bn and fish at 3cm body size not including the tail but I have bought plenty that are smaller.

If you sell that small you need to be sure that the person buying them knows how to handle them or they will die, if you sell fish and they die it doesn't matter who's fault it is people will blame the breeder and it will be harder for you to sell them next time.

Pepps are harder to keep alive than other types of bn when they are small so I would let them grow before you sell them.

Cheers mick

Last year I bought 6 pepps at almost 2cm (the guy was moving and they had to go) did not loose any they are the start of new colony, only one male who has been removed and replaced with another who is unrelated, the 5 females are now over 6cms and very healthy, don't know at what size they breed.

Last year I bought 6 pepps at almost 2cm (the guy was moving and they had to go) did not loose any they are the start of new colony, only one male who has been removed and replaced with another who is unrelated, the 5 females are now over 6cms and very healthy, don't know at what size they breed.

They should start breeding around 6cm mark. You just have to have a good male who sticks to his breeding log :D It can take them some time to figure out they need to stay put!

Have variety, someone may want really little ones at 3cm and someone may be looking at getting slightly larger sub adults at 5-7cm. If you want to sell for profit you have to appeal to the larger audience so selling multiple sizes would be better than just one.

edit: personally anything under 3cm is to small

Edited by TheAquaHolic001

The acceptable size for sale at the auctions is 4cm TL.

Personally I would not buy anything under 3.5cm SL.

Graeme

Industry standard is 3.5cm TL minimum for all but non-'dwarf' varieties. Shops won't buy smaller however the public may. 3.0cm should be regarded as absolute minimum..