Pineapples

Would a salt solution help unhatched eggs?

I was googling how to manually hatch fish eggs and found a video where they put some killifish eggs in a Petrie dish in a saline solution of some sort and they hatched within 30 seconds.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experience with this?

I got 60 fry naturally - the ones that got eaten

I've been using a turkey baster to make them hatch for the last two days and I would say I have about 80 more (you can see a couple of 2-3 day old ones top right)

d8b07b12334fa048f9bd59b6127a3d51.jpg

There still seems to be plenty of sets of eyes

They are attached to a log so I would have to get them off the log first. Any ideas?

Or should I be more patient and just leave them to hatch?

They are desert gobies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocking eggs with either saline water or uber pure water is useful for many species but its hit and miss to find them.

Eg. I use RO water for triops and marine water for brine shrimp.

I've added a small amount of salt to the tank itself but nothing that would 'shock' them.

What do you mean by hit and miss?

They seem to still be hatching themselves I just thought it was strange because when my bumblebee's hatch it's all at once.

I might grab a bottle of RO water tomorrow and try that method if they haven't all hatched by tomorrow.

My main concern is the eggs getting mouldy and dying. I've put them under the flow of the hob filter to keep them moving.

Be patient mate - no need to do this with Goby eggs......

Awesome thanks mate. That would explain why the hatching is staggered and some eggs are smaller.

If the eggs are mature enough to hatch (embryos are moving /struggling to get out) then an oxygen shortage will trigger the hatch. Useful to co-ordinate large numbers of fry. But for what your doing, I would be patient and continue with turkey baster to jet water if they start dying.