Hey all,

I'm in the process of putting together two 5ft tanks in a tiered setup using a single 5ft sump. Total water volume including sump will be approximately 1200 litres.

What would be the ideal pump flow rate to the turn over the total volume of water 5 to 6 times in an hour? Looking for some suggested pump models and experience with them if possible.

Both tanks will be frontosa tanks. All input appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

In terms of quality, Certainly Laguna, or Fluval for pumps.

As for flow, this is really determined by your method of draining. Will these 2x 5ft tanks have holes drilled at the water level in the back, will you use an overflow box, or will you have a weir with a siphon method used?

Agreed. Laguna has always been good. Not to neg on any of newer more flash pumps. But laguna has been doing it well for a long time. Its a safe bet.

What sort of head heights does it need to pump too?

Seems like a lot of flow.... how heavily are you stocking? Could add some low wattage wavemaker style pumps to compensate and drop turn over a bit. Would be a cheaper pump to run.

Vectra L1 would be my pick of the new bunch. Its a fancy bit of kit.

Tunze would be my preference, 5000 LPH should give a 3x circ rate depending on rack height and plumbing.

They have an 11k version too.

Eheim pumps seem too inefficient compared to the new pumps available these days.

Edit, I am about to upgrade my 3k tunze to the 5k version, they are silent, super reliable, and energy efficient. Have been told these require SFA maintenance and should run for donkeys years... Will find out :)

Edited by IsaRich

EBay jabeo super low power consumption cheap as. Last 18 to 36 months so what you save in power cost covers replacements

Otherwise anything from [MENTION=6981]TEC[/MENTION]hden. Can not bet his service and warranty

Have always been a laguna man but im loving fluval pumps... Made by the same people as the fluval pumps (hagen) and have the same build quality/ reliability... but sitting at a better price point.

Still has a good warranty, head height and low power consumption that you have come to expect of laguna as well.

Thanks everyone. Both tanks will be drilled at water level and overflow down to sump. Will install largest bulkheads possible for maximum flow rate. What model Laguna would you recommend?

Sent from my HTC_0PKX2 using Tapatalk