I have a 6x2x1.5 African display tank (mainly haps, peacocks and some mbuna). I have had 4 bristlenose in there with them for the last 12 months. Over the last 48 hrs, all of the bristlenose have died and not really sure what is going on. The other fish seem fine and the water parameters are as follows (before water change):

PH: 7.9

Ammonia: Looks like 0.0 on the colour chart, although possibly between 0.0 and 0.25). This may have been due to dead bristlenose.

Nitrite: 0.0

Nitrate: between 40 and 80ppm

I think some were dead for around 24hrs.....any ideas what could be going on? I have just done a 40% water change and will monitor what is going on, but it is strange that they have all died with 48hrs. I have a cuckoo in there as well which seems fine.

What did the bodies look like? Scratched/eaten/bloated/burnt.. I once had a ton of BN die because my heater broke and was sending electricity through the water... BN died first, and the Kribensis were fine.

Hope you find your answer. x RIP BN's

High temps over extended periods of time could do something like this but yeah as bristlenosegirl said, are there any other markings on the body.

Thanks for the replies everyone......the PH has always been at that level in my tanks as that is what comes straight out of the tap. I have noticed what seems to be the start of white spot on one of my fish, so I am wondering whether that is what affected the bristlenose?

I have some Blue Planet Tri-Sulfa at home, and it says on the label "for treatment for white spot". Has anyone used Tri-Sulfa to treat white spot, or am I better off getting some "Ichonex" first thing tomorrow morning?

edit: sorry, I forgot to mention that I have two air stones running and the outlet of my canister filter also agitates the water, so I have plenty oxygen I believe. Also, no peculiar markings on the body that I could tell apart from some discoloration due to being dead for 10-12 hrs.

Edited by 300Magnum

That is a pitty. I lost a bn and gouramii the other day from some kind of bloat. Was excited and thought the female was pregnant until i realised she hadnt moved from the log for 24 hours. Hope you find the cAuse so you cant get some more bn cleaning the tank again :)

It may sound silly but has anyone sprayed any aerosol cans near your tank?

No, i have a closed hood and glass tops underneath the hood, so unlikely anything will get in.

Thanks for the replies everyone......the PH has always been at that level in my tanks as that is what comes straight out of the tap. I have noticed what seems to be the start of white spot on one of my fish' date=' so I am wondering whether that is what affected the bristlenose? I have some Blue Planet Tri-Sulfa at home, and it says on the label "for treatment for white spot". Has anyone used Tri-Sulfa to treat white spot, or am I better off getting some "Ichonex" first thing tomorrow morning? edit: sorry, I forgot to mention that I have two air stones running and the outlet of my canister filter also agitates the water, so I have plenty oxygen I believe. Also, no peculiar markings on the body that I could tell apart from some discoloration due to being dead for 10-12 hrs.[/quote']

I haven't used Tri-sulpha to treat white spot specifically so will happily bow to greater experience.

My understanding is that it will but is slow-acting. I don't have any articles to back that up, this was just from reading generally.

Just for the sake of ruling it out what temp is your tank set to.

It is generally in the middle of the "green"zone on the thermometer......around 25 deg. It stays pretty stable as our house is insulated and has air conditioning..so it doesn't fluctuate too much.