~Col~

Filter Recommendations Please

Hi Everyone,

I'm after filter recommendations for a 2 foot freshwater tank that's approx 60 liters.

Was as running a Shark ADV 800 (various sponges only) in it but the impeller is getting noisy and no amount of cleaning is helping it and since it's in my bedroom I need it quieter. I just chucked in my Fluval U4 that I had sitting as a spare but the water flow on any setting is just too much for the poor juvenile Angels i have in there.

Tank has a large piece of gold vine in the centre covered in sword and some stunted anubias. The U4 is ripping the plants from the wood despite it facing the short side with the water flow also facing the wall and upwards.

Tank inhabitants are 3 juvenile Angels and way too many baby albino bristlenose pleco (which I'm slowly giving away).

I'm not looking at spending a fortune, the Angels will be moved into the 4 footer as they grow and the plecos distributed/given away, so the tank will probably be broken down and put away....OMG...who am I kidding??? 😜😜

Picture attached. Ignore the murky water, just did a water change, oh, and the fish feeder, just came back from camping.

Thanks!

post-7189-14711635505879_thumb.jpg

If you go a canister go a Fluval 106

If you go internal go an otto power head or if not looking for much flow because you keep angels get a couple corner filter boxes n decent pump n hide them in there. Many options anyway.

Thanks everyone!

Haven't really got space for an external canister filter. However, I love the look of the Aquacompact, just wish it was slightly bigger capacity, even the 60 is only "just" enough.

I have an Otto in my 4 footer as a backup. It's awesome!! However, I think it'd be way too strong for that little tank. :(

I considered corner filters and air powered ones but again, it's in my bedroom so I really don't want the noise (or should i say my husband doesn't want the noise, personally I'd love a hang on... 😉).

Looks perfect for a HOB of some type.

Actually Donny, nope, not the way the glass lip is around the tank. Besides the tinkling water (which I LOVE) is noise. 😉

Whatever filter I get needs to be whisper quiet, no bubbles, no splashing...

so...you cannot fit a cannister, HoB's and sponges make noise, that just leaves Internals right?

Interested most in reliability, bio media volume, aesthetics, or power consumption? All of the above?? If it was me I'd be looking at the Fluval U series, or for lower flow and more frequent cleaning id prefer the eheims - so easy to pull out the foam and clean it often.

Actually Donny, nope, not the way the glass lip is around the tank. Besides the tinkling water (which I LOVE) is noise. 😉

Whatever filter I get needs to be whisper quiet, no bubbles, no splashing...

If water level is as high as in pic then no sound.

Small tetra wp 300lph pump + hamburg filter matten sheet.

Can't find it can always build it.

Could even buy a juwel filter some one has cut out of their tank.

so...you cannot fit a cannister, HoB's and sponges make noise, that just leaves Internals right?

Interested most in reliability, bio media volume, aesthetics, or power consumption? All of the above?? If it was me I'd be looking at the Fluval U series, or for lower flow and more frequent cleaning id prefer the eheims - so easy to pull out the foam and clean it often.

Correct to the first bit! 😉

Reliability would be the main concern for me,quietness for my husband, LOL!! Have been tossing around getting a smaller U for the tank. The one I'm currently using has always been very good, it's just too big.

Edited by ~Col~

Yep I hate ottos loud cheap crap

Wow, I've always loved my Otto, however, I've only ever used it as a backup to the canister filter in my big tank

Heintz.G do those blow bubbles? I'm wanting to avoid bubbles, husband hates any fish tank noises...lol!

Like all internals, they should have a valve at the end of the air hose to adjust the amount of bubbles you want from zero to full, or just don't connect the air hose.

On a side note, tell the other half to get ear plugs. Lol.

For me you can't go wrong with otto internals. I have 4 of them all different sizes from pf600 to pf2000 in my tanks and I have never had a problem. I use them as extra mechanical filtration which extends time between cleaning my canisters. I have never had a noisy one, the only thing that makes them noisy is if you have the air line connected to the venturi.

On a side note, tell the other half to get ear plugs. Lol.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Considering how much he snores I don't know what he complains about!!!

Thanks for the info!!