LexdWeb

Hello, returning to fishkeeping, advice on filter pls

Hi

I've been away from fishkeeping for a number of years and have now decided to get a six foot tropical freshwater tank now that I'm living in west Brisbane.

When I last had a tank, I used an undergravel filter, but from my reading, it would seem that the best option for one of these tanks is either a canister filter or a sump system. I was wondering whether anybody has opinions and whether there are any reputable places around Indooroopilly.

Regards

Lex

Hello and welcome!!

For our 6ft we have a sump, but started out with a UV canister filter.

Do yourself a favour and go see the guys at Age of Aquariums at Browns Plains. If you tell them you're a forum member you get a discount. These guys really know their stuff and aren't just trying to make a sale.

Age of aquarium is good for dry goods and gear. But before you start thinking about what gear to get figure out what fish you want to keep. This will help with filtration and flow rates and also gives you somewhere to start.

Welcome to the forum,

I have a 6x2x2 running a canister filter (aquael uni max 700) 1700 Lph with a 1200 Lph internal power head type filter for agitation, there are about 30 adult Africans and a heap of common bristle nose catfish in there and its crystal clean. I would not go over this for flow rate unless you have a horde of large Oscars or red devils in there tearing up the place.

Hi

I've been away from fishkeeping for a number of years and have now decided to get a six foot tropical freshwater tank now that I'm living in west Brisbane.

When I last had a tank, I used an undergravel filter, but from my reading, it would seem that the best option for one of these tanks is either a canister filter or a sump system. I was wondering whether anybody has opinions and whether there are any reputable places around Indooroopilly.

Regards

Lex

Brookfield produce is great and not far from Indro. Going the other way you have Exotic Fish Connections at Rocklea. Both excellent.