Looking to set up a new tank, I'll be running an old eheim 2213 but want a supplement filter as I don't think the 2213 will manage by itself. Been tossing up between a newer 2217 and a midikani 800. What I've been trying to figure out is why the eheim with 200 l/hr more flow but 1 litre less media is rated out to 600 litres and the midikani is rated to 250 litres. Seems like a lot of generous marketing in ratings. The filters will be going on a 180 odd litre 3 footer which will eventually get upgraded to a 4x2x2 so I will need some future proofing in the new filter, I'll probably also get a second one of the same post upgrade and run them on the 4 footer with the old 2213 as a backup.

I have the eheim 2217 bio-media cannister on a 4x2x2 with 10 medium-large discus and tetras etc with no issues at all and obviously I feed heavily with beef heart, Blackworms, dry etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filters seem to be rated on turnover. Not consideration of growing bacteria well. A filter performance can change with different media, and with different flow rates.

I would run it and check water. If you want it cleaner or my flow, consider an internal. I you have ammonia issues, consider media and then a bigger rated filter.

I love ehiem canisters!

What fish do u want? How many fish? Sizes of fish? Planted?

Diff types of fish need diff turnover rates.

The rate of flow is without any media in it. When you put it in the flow slows down a fair bit. When the muck ect builds up, its a even slower flow, so that has to be taken into account.

Eheim look at the water flow being slower gives the bacteria more time to 'grab' the 'food' thereby helping reduce the waste... personally ...I prefer more filtration... ( alot more)

Use the ext canister as the bacteria hotel and an internal filter as a 'polishing' filter.

African cichlids, hence the tank upgrade in the future. I realise media, blockages, head height etc effect flow it's more a question of how they come up with their filter specs, ie the 2213 is actually rated the same as the midikani but has half the media and less flow... I guess the question is more why the midi would be rated so lowely.

Aquael under estimates, but even so the minimal eheim for cichlids would be the 2217 imho.

Canisters handle biological filtration, and I can see a 2217 or midikani handling the bioload in a 250L aquarium BUT you would want additional aeration AND mechanical filtration.

Cichlid tanks are usually over stocked, so we dont so much as look at tank size suggestions on the filter box, as much as we look at the amount of food being added at feeding time.

Also the media in the canister comes into play, its as important as filter choice.