Rod

Stocking experiment

I've just established a New pond (triangle shape 4mx2mx400mm deep) in my front courtyard and have decided to experiment stocking it

Current stock(all fish either wild caught or juvies I have breed)

White Clouds

Tiger Endlers

Blue eyes(from Conondale)

Rainbows(from Conondale)

Firetail gudgeon(from Caboolture)

Pair Kribensis

Pair Blue-eye cichlids

Pair Paradise fish

50 odd glass shrimp

6 mystery snails

dose of black worms

Fish have been introduced gradually over last 6 weeks

All going well....cichlids in breeding colours ;)

Will be interesting to see how each species fare....what will be there next year??

Edited by Rod

Great looking pond and stocking list. I think everything on there should survive til next year unless the kookaburra's/kingfishers get to them.

Great looking pond and stocking list. I think everything on there should survive til next year unless the kookaburra's/kingfishers get to them.

Duck weed will stop that .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75210[/ATTACH]

;)....will take some videos on weekend

Great looking pond Rod. What no Cryptoheros ?? Still a bit chilly for outdoor tropicals, i won't be restocking my ponds till probably late September.

Great looking pond Rod. What no Cryptoheros ?? Still a bit chilly for outdoor tropicals, i won't be restocking my ponds till probably late September.

Yep....just one species...Blue-eye cichlid Cryptohero spilurus.....in breeding colour too!...;)

Kribensis female is dancing around the male too....she's ready!!

There are quite a few species that can handle our coldest Brisbane winters but the real test is at the start and end of winter when daytime temperatures can hit 28 degrees and night time can be 10 degrees. An 18 degree swing in a few hours can be quite demanding.

As I said....it's an experiment....so far so Good....;)

Whilst air temps can swing....the wall provides shade in the morning and the units shade in the afternoon....pond gets about 3 hours of Sun a day

With all the plant cover(water lilies/parrot feathers) the water isn't getting overly warm....and the masonry is a bit of a heat sink so water temp doesn't drop dramatically overnight...

Although I have noticed the tiger endlers seem to school in the corner that gets the Sun first on cooler days!

Spilurus are found with swordtails and they seem to handle our weather well....we'll see ;)

I have had Convicts/Spilurus and kribensis breed in an aquarium and each raised a number of fry to a Good size

Plenty of plants/rocks for fry to hide so we'll see how it goes.....

Only one casualty so far....a female kribensis tried to swallow a grass seed(plants next to pond)....and failed

The wall is our fence....masonry to reduce road noise

Will be interesting to see its effect in Summer....but given the pond is on a concrete slab

I'm hoping water temps will change slowly....up or down

Niiiicccceeee. If your krib numbers get too high in the pond I might be able to take a few off your hands, but not for a few months yet. (buy offcourse)

I just remember you posting a thread where you were looking for good quality kribs. One of my all time favourites to watch while looking after fry.

Great mix of pond fish too by the way.

These aren't where I'd like them to be quality wise....but they are pretty Good....

will post a photo when I get back to Aust

Only too Happy to spread them around....perhaps just before Winter next year!

Thanks Pete...Quite a bit of hair algae atm....but I did re-pot a lot of water lillies and add fertiliser.....I'm sure it will settle down soon

Fish seem Happy enough...;)