Axolotls reach sexual maturity from about 12 months. If attempting to breed axolotls, ensure that the pair are in a sufficiently large tank to prevent cannibalism. There is no courting process; males release spermatophore into the water and the female may take them up, eventually laying around 200-600 eggs on plants. The eggs will hatch in two weeks but the tadpole-like young will remain attached to the plants for a further two weeks. At two weeks of age they begin to swim in search of food. Don't forget to remove the adults from the tank as they will eat the young. Young axolotls will also eat each other and mortality rates are very high, around 97%.

Females may be recognised by their larger, wider head.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Boyd_Breeding_Axolotl.html

Frenchy :D

my mate woody used to have a pair that would breed whenever he did a water change

the water must be cold for them

he had perfect conditions as he lives at springbooke lol

yeah heaps n heaps of plants they dont need much room either

I had a female one which i thought was a boy for about 4 years when i was younger,i ended up getting another which ended up being a boy and with in a month the female had dropped about 500 eggs on the fake plastic plants i had put in there,they all hatched and got to swimming stage but then they slowly disappeared.not even one survived, so i would say the young are very hard to keep, i have heard of people only breeding them and having the young survive in ponds and stuff like that

Jase