MitchellGH

Can I use a lamp for small planted aquariums?

Hi all,

I currently own a fairly small 30 litre tank, but in the near future I would like to upgrade to a 4ft tank. When I do that, I will most likely use the smaller tank for a quarantine/breeding/secondary tank. I have a full setup for the smaller tank at the moment, but when I get the larger tank I want to put the smaller one on a desk or table. I don't want the smaller tank to be covered in wires and what not (I want it to look somewhat clean and low-tech), so instead of using a T8 fluorescent tube over the smaller tank, I would like to use something more subtle such as a reading lamp. However, I've been looking online and can't find any globes that grow plants which would fit in a lamp. I was wondering if anyone knew of any screw-in light globes which can fit in a lamp and can be used to grow plants and/or is aquarium specific?

Thanks!

Edited by MitchellGH

Thank you for your response. Although I meant a desk lamp with a normal screw-in light bulb fixture, it probably is a much better idea just to get one of those HOB purpose build aquarium lights. I do already have a desk lamp, however I didn't buy it for the purpose of using it for my aquarium. So you have a better idea of what I am talking about I've attached pictures of the lamp and the type of light globe I'm speaking about. For informative purposes, do you know of any bulbs that will fit this lamp which suit planted aquariums? Thanks again!

post-18071-14711635565709_thumb.jpg

post-18071-14711635565892_thumb.jpg