Sign in to follow this  
Joshwd

My dolphin is acting weird

Hey guys i just noticed my dolphin swimming around on its side and what appears to be uncotrolled side rolls. All the other fish in the tank seem very happy. It doesnt seem like any visual features are out of the ordinary. Is my fish about to die or it just wants to be unique

It may have been higher previously. So the damage might already have been done. Nitrites effect larger fish quicker because it effects the blood and bigger fish need more oxygen. What you are likely seeing is sorta the fish version of a stroke. The fish may be able to clean the nitrite from its own blood or it may die first.

The above is a theory.... an assumption in the place of a definite smoking gun.

Good to hear.

Bit gruesome.... but if you ever think a fish has died from nitrites you can check its gills. Instead of normal bright red or pink, in nitrite casualties they are usually a darker shade and often more brown. Hence the aquaculture term 'brown gill disease' where as in hobby we usually call NTS or new tank syndrome.

Any thoughts on why you would have got a spike? Tricky coz if nitrites aren't increasing currently, then likely the trigger event was 2 weeks ago.

Either way drop back food a bit at least in short term would be my approach.

Sign in to follow this