Just wanted to rant as I got slightly screwed by Gumtree today. Bought an Eheim 2217 canister filter off gumtree late last week. 3 years old, 70 dollars which seemed fair. Drive 45 mins to pick it up and he mentions "oh by the way I lost the clips a while back, but it always seals and only reason I'm getting rid of it is because of the noise from the spray bar as it's in my room". I think fair enough, not sure how it would stay sealed but I figured I'd test it on an empty 60 liter container. So I go to test it, and well the top won't stay on....... Turn it on and hold the top down figure the suction will draw it down so I can at least test the flow......I could feel a vibration but no flow. Decide to take a look at the impeller and shaft. Found piece broken off the impeller and the shaft broken. AWESOME. So after a little re-positioning I finally confirm that it will work, not impressed by the flow but hoping it's the impeller and yup it's holding itself down. My brain is telling me that the second I switch this thing off the water is going to push this thing off the canister and yup it does. So the person I bought this off is not a nice person. So my 70 dollar fair deal is now going to cost me around 110-120. Still isn't too bad but a little bit of honesty would have been nice as there is no doubt he knew as there is a noticeable noise from the unit when the impeller is actually moving.

Very annoying.

Note to self my friend..... Always make them show you it in action!!!! Com'on man

Yeah I'm normally like that but it was my wifes birthday and I was in a mad rush to get back home and stay out of trouble. I messaged the guy about the broken impeller asking if he knew and the response was classic. "what's an impeller?"

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

unfortunately there is always a risk when you buy second hand they don't come with warranty, i purchased a car once and the guy said the motor had been fully reconditioned, as it turned out is was just a replacement motor put in from the wreckers, long story short $ 5000 later i had a fully reconditioned motor, was the guy a lying ##sehole ? of course he was, but it was still my fault for taking the risk and believing him in the first place and not getting the thing checked by a mechanic because i was to tight and didn't want to spend a lousy $200 bucks and took the chance that he was being honest

lesson learn't, and ten odd cars later have never had that problem again.

Good luck with your canister , there's bound to be members on here that have got spare parts maybe you can salvage some and get it up and running reliably

Yeah I'm normally like that but it was my wifes birthday and I was in a mad rush to get back home and stay out of trouble. I messaged the guy about the broken impeller asking if he knew and the response was classic. "what's an impeller?"

Hahahaha the pr!k

Eheim canister filter clips uggh, I lost one off mine somewhere so I'm left with 3 but it still holds the seal under the no power situation.

I guess you could MacGyver some sort of ratchet strap,rope or clamp till you get the parts. clips are $15 for 4 on ebay and an impellor w/shaft about $35. still a pain in the a$$ for a filter that should be working.

Depending on how urgent you need it but I'm in Germany at the moment and get back on 23rd but Eheim 2217 shafts brand new are $20 if you needed one.

Thanks thomo, eBay UK has them for 10 bucks, cheers for the offer. I was tempted to try replacing the shaft with brass or carbon fiber as ceramic is a bit brittle. Will probably just buy the eheim part this time and if it breaks again I'll try carbon fiber.

Ended up buying some 3mm fiberglass rod for 4 dollars and cutting it down to size.  Tested and works, plus I have enough left if it breaks 8 more times.

Yep gumtree for aquarium stuff is always hit n miss I learnt not to buy any 2nd hand electronic gear off gumtree from when I got my chiller a month or so back. Lucky for me I got it fixed without spending much but the situation could have been a lot worse 

23 minutes ago, mitch-91 said:

Yep gumtree for aquarium stuff is always hit n miss I learnt not to buy any 2nd hand electronic gear off gumtree from when I got my chiller a month or so back. Lucky for me I got it fixed without spending much but the situation could have been a lot worse 

Yea I agree it is a bit of hit and miss. Personally I have been pretty lucky. I have bought 3 used chillers and they have been running fine, one of which has been running for over 2 years now. I made it a point to get a chiller that has only been used in freshwater and the date stamp on the label is not too old.

Com'on now we must all take responsibility for our choices if we choose to be a tight a$$ and want a gumtree bargain...... Remember the old saying "you get what you pay for " the OP would have been better off grabbing a new cheap canister from one of the sponsors most of them sell a cheaper model and you would get peace of mind in warranty and accountability from them.... Now I'm not saying I don't use gumtree or buy second hand I do... But you should know most people sell Sh!t because it's exactly that lol:behindsofa:

All ways look for anything even slightly wrong with the stuff you buy on gumtree, it makes for an awesome tool to hammer down the price they listed it for.

for example, I just bought a new sofa for the kids to destroy. They had it listed for $150 which was a fair price but when I got there I noticed their dog had chewed on one of the armrests so I offered them $90 and we ended up settling on $100. It took me about an hour between a few beers to fill the marks with some body filler left over from the last paint job I did on a car for a mate and sand it back and respray the armrest. looks good as new now :)

Do your research and know what to look for and you can pick up some really good deals on gumtree

I picked up a Mountain bike worth 2K (new)  for 200 last weekend just because the guy had no idea about what he was selling 

Its always a risk for the things you cannot see but research on what to look for goes a very long way to mitigating you risk of a dud 

But sucks when it you get a dud and the seller knows it 

54 minutes ago, Slipshodman said:

Do your research and know what to look for and you can pick up some really good deals on gumtree

I picked up a Mountain bike worth 2K (new)  for 200 last weekend just because the guy had no idea about what he was selling 

Its always a risk for the things you cannot see but research on what to look for goes a very long way to mitigating you risk of a dud 

But sucks when it you get a dud and the seller knows it 

It was $200 coz it was hot!!

On 8/19/2016 at 11:05 PM, african-cichlids said:

Hahaha first thing that came to my mind aswell

On 8/18/2016 at 3:59 PM, mbunamad said:

It was $200 coz it was hot!!

Ah hmm..... Well maybe... ...I hope not as you just have to trust people you have never met before in some circumstances

I certainly wouldn't buy stolen goods knowingly ........

The fella just seemed like a spoiled brat that didn't care how much it had cost him when he bought it a couple of years ago and just wanted some quick cash