Therandal

Looking to start my marine predator tank

Hey guys and gals what's some good predetor fish the tank I'm getting is a curved front 4 1/2 foot rad by 4 foot aquarium it is 1900 L including the sump. I really love emperor Angels, harlequin tusk fish, lion fish, sharks, eels, tangs and some puffer fish. I'm only new to this so would love any advice. My local aquarium is gonna set my tank up so its all good to go. But any advice and tips would be awesome, also from around the Ipswich area so what is your thoughts on best aquariums to purchase my fish from?

What a tank. 

I am only a Noob at marine, despite having kept fresh for a few years.....  I know enough to get myself in trouble. 

I tend to visit a few, and ask questions a lot.  Listen a lot. My goto guys if naming a single store is Pet City.  They will tell you if what you are buying is a problem. 

Hope you start a build thread on this.  I want a predator tank, mainly as I love lion fish. 

Steve

Yeah mate definitely gonna have a few lions in there I love emperor angels and wanna have a harliquin tusk fish to and I really really want a barramundi cod but I think there very very rare 

Hey mate nice looking tank... Heres some suggestions on the fish you have listed: 

first of all if you like the looks of sharks/ rays i would avoid puffers/triggers and even emperor angels can be an issue as they like to peck at the eyes of benthic species. 

As said above if keeping pelagic sharks a larger/ circular tank is needed, however a carpet shark such as epaulette or brownbanded bamboo is fine. 

Good stingray options are bluespot stingrays or mask rays, however these must go into an established tank and they do not handle nitrates well at all, so good nutrient export is essential. Getting them to feed on prepared foods can also be tricky, make sure they are feeding before purchasing them. 

Tangs can be finnicky and easily stressed in a predator tank so you want to make sure you get ones that can look after themselves. Most of the ones in naso or acantharus families are fine such as: sailfin, lipstick, unicorn, dussemeri, orange shoulder etc. sohal tangs look great but can be very agressive. Even though it is a large tank in terms of water volume most tangs will outgrow it as they are a very active species and need more length than 4 feet. In my opinion fully grown large tangs need closer to 10feet of space. 

If you are wanting triggers try and get the more peaceful ones such as niger, pinktail and bluejaw. Avoid clowns, picasso or queens. 

Some other species to look at: threadfin snapper, clown sweetlips, red breated maori wrasse, cheeklined maori wrasse, french angel, painted lobster... Too many options to list haha.

Hey mate yeh I wasn't gonna go any big sharks and I prob won't go with the Rays either I have been shopping around atm I am thinking a baby port Jackson obviously until I upgrade to my bigger tank again! Harlequin tusk fish, coral cod, lion fish, emperor Angel, seen a nice little bamboo shark at nielsons the other day a eel but tossing up with what type that's it so far I really want a barramundi cod but nielsons said good luck there very very hard to come bye what are your thoughts on all them so far?

On 20 September 2016 at 9:31 PM, Therandal said:

Hey mate yeh I wasn't gonna go any big sharks and I prob won't go with the Rays either I have been shopping around atm I am thinking a baby port Jackson obviously until I upgrade to my bigger tank again! Harlequin tusk fish, coral cod, lion fish, emperor Angel, seen a nice little bamboo shark at nielsons the other day a eel but tossing up with what type that's it so far I really want a barramundi cod but nielsons said good luck there very very hard to come bye what are your thoughts on all them so far?

Sounding like a good list mate :) biggest issue with port jackson is they will definately need a chiller over qld summers which can get pricey when you inevitabely also need a huge tank for them. They arent as flexible as the bamboo/ epaullettes so ideally need minimum 4ft wide tank and eventually will need larger again. Barra cod do come up... Just need to keep an eye out for them :) 

as for eels, zebra and snowflake are the most chilled out but undulated, whitemouth etc are fine in a predator tank. A tesselata would be awesome but unfortunately can be extremely agressive