Sign in to follow this  
Merkinater

Mosquito Larvae n BN Fry??

Hey all,

I have my first batch of Albino BN fry(bout 80 n 12-15mm). i noticed yesterday(sunday) that i have small worm like creatures in the bottom of tank. they look like Mosquito Larvae as it has rained alot in ippy over the last couple days.

Will they Hurt/Kill my fry??

Is there a safe way to remove them beside scooping out with a net??

Should i leave a Mossie Coil smoking in the room to prevent this happening again??

As ive lost bout 15 fry in the last 2days. i did my regular water change on Saturday n then the Larvae appeared on Sunday. I tested the water 2day n everything is normal except the PH was a bit high so im slowing dropping it over the next couple of days.

Not sure but i think the town water PH has spiked.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Have you tried using a piece of airline tubing to suck them out? I'd personally get them out of your tank, better safe than sorry. And if you have a test kit have u tested the town water before putting it in your tank?

mossie larvae will stay at the surface as they breathe atmospheric oxygen via a little tube thing that they stick at the surface of the water, so they can wriggle downward but they will have to come back up to the surface for oxygen eventually. If yours are staying at the bottom and not constantly coming back up to the surface, its something else. Oh and mossie's will generally only breed in stagnant water as they are egg layers. If you have a filter in there with some kind of surface movement it shouldn't attract mossie's to breed in there.

And how much water are you changing at once?

i have about 10-15 cherry shrimp in the tank aswell. Im only changing about 25% weekly.i have a Large Sponge Filtering the tank. i havent introduced anything into the tank since i put the male n his log w/h wrigglers in. i didnt test the town water this change (was in a hurry on saturday).

Im feeding them Hikari Alage waffers(Crushed), Sera Viforma, n Lances Kelp Pellets. I alternate their food n only feed them every 2 days(small amounts to avoid bloat). Ive sucked out wat i could see but their is still more. they are lite red/whitish in colour bout 2-3mm long n seem to be feeding on the fry waste.

I cant get a photo as they are too small for my camera to focus. the tank has had the fry in there for 2weeks, n was previously empty.

I have no idea how they arrived or wat they are.

Thanks

Tim

They sound more like planaria worms which is caused from dirty substrate or over feeding.

Cut the food down for a week or two and give the tank a good clean and they will disappear themselves and they are not harmful to the fish.

Thanks Lance,

I dont have any substrate only a straight glass bottom. Im going to wack in the small male endler as I have just caught him. I will also give the tank a good clean.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Will keep you posted

Thanks

Tim

Update.

I syphoned out most of the worms that i could see last night n threw in a enlder. i arrived home from work to find a mass deadness on the bottom of my tank. i pulled out bout 80 dead fry (i stopped counting after 50) :( on the other hand there is alot more fry then i first thought as there seems to be about 80-100 left but atleast half of these are half dead n only seem to wriggle when touched and in a dazzed state.

I decided to use my rain tank water to replace wat i syphoned out(approx 9-10L). i tested this water and showed a PH of bout 6-6.5. i filtered the water threw my filter wool to remove any nasties, primed n let sit for 30min before adding to the tank (only did this to aviod using PH Down as town water is sittin between 7.6-8).

My endler is now fat but there is still worms on the bottom of the tank.

I have some EasyLife left over from when i had mollies n platties. Would this help or just be a waiste of time :?

Thanks

Tim

All but a hand full have died :( i imaging the remaining will pass on in the nextday or so. cant work out y they all died suddenly :?:?

On the up side my Common BNs i bought 1.5weeks ago have layed eggs :o

Lets hope this lot survive

Thanks

Tim

Sign in to follow this