Yoshi

ID of wild fish at UQ lakes

hey guys,  

I just took a pic of this fish, hopefully enough for ID, i was just hanging down at UQ lakes (where i work) and i saw them, also a mate was interested in what type it was. I think it might be a Tilapia?

probs around 10 or something at this size. 

p.s. cheated using my polarized sunnies to take away the glare from phone camera 

20160913_125130.jpg

20160913_125108.jpg

yeah trying to.... talking to Properties and facilities on what we can do.
I know if I went down there and started fishing for them security will be all over me.

however if i can get approval then maybe something can be done (fishing etc) but as they need to be killed etc, might still get some issues from students being all anti killing of pests.

If I dont get approval ill just go to DAF and report it to them. As these Lakes flow to brisbane river and the species page in DAF says they can withstand high salinity so maybe infect brisbane river and upstream? (i know long shot but could happen maybe) 

anyway ill see what happens :)

p.s. would be nice to get something else in there to replace the fish we might be taking out. might have to do some research if we get the go ahead....

1 hour ago, Yoshi said:

yeah trying to.... talking to Properties and facilities on what we can do.
I know if I went down there and started fishing for them security will be all over me.

however if i can get approval then maybe something can be done (fishing etc) but as they need to be killed etc, might still get some issues from students being all anti killing of pests.

If I dont get approval ill just go to DAF and report it to them. As these Lakes flow to brisbane river and the species page in DAF says they can withstand high salinity so maybe infect brisbane river and upstream? (i know long shot but could happen maybe) 

anyway ill see what happens :)

p.s. would be nice to get something else in there to replace the fish we might be taking out. might have to do some research if we get the go ahead....

To late to stop that, already happened.  My guess is they got in to the Lakes from the Brissy river.

Yoshi, those tilapia have been in the lakes for years and there's some that would be 30-40cm. Back in 2011 I think they got a bit of a refresh of the gene pool in there because the Brissy river was well and truly up to the ponds. As for fishing for them, I know a mate that tried for them a couple of times, not sure he ever got caught or moved along though. All the best for getting rid of them though! Maybe employ some bull sharks to do the job...

Once they are in a waterway and are mature and breeding it is impossible to eradicate them - lost cause. Nothing - NOTHING will get rid of them short of a total nuke of the waterway. In a small dam chlorination would work - in a large waterbody - no method that would be deemed suitable to the public would work. Then again - what is the point - next flood and they'll be back there. That is why we need to do everything we can to prevent another pest species like this from getting into waterways.

Without getting into an environmental debate, there are a lot of water birds that feed on the gambusia, platies and tilapia that thrive in the lakes. Several huge pelican regularly sift & hunt out the fish. Lots of cormorants, marsh hens and ducks. The turtles and eels probably hunt them too.

Would these all manage on rainbows and gudgeons?