Jump to content
Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Bayou

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, HaydnRex said:

there was one last week for 400 with a 3 ft tank 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Guys! Guys!  (and Ladies!)

How to say this???

I counted 24 or 25 as the water is clearing - so perhaps I've been greedy?   Or I can't count very well, and double-counted some!

 

We need to take a vote over the weekend - results Monday!

  1. Who thinks I need more GPGs        :clap2:   
  2. and Who thinx I have enough ?   :fish:

Grover

(mind you, Mt Cotton is only a short drive away from Stafford...   umm...   )

 

one 1 :clap2: one 1 :clap2:one 1 :clap2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do i detect a note of confusion?

since when has enough ever been enough ?       feed the addiction

Having to ask us is like asking a drunk if he wants more wine

notice i said wine not whine, thats the noise the wife makes when she gets informed theres more fish coming home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QldMick said:

Seriously don't you think you have enough to try and breed, or are you after Australia's largest collection?

Thanx @QldMick  !!

That's wot I thought too.

Really, there's not a big call for another Australian Icon - "The Big Gourami" to go with the "Big Prawn", the "Big Banana", and the "Big Trout".

bigtrout.jpg.dd7a72cde3012680cf12a5db01604d59.jpg

Biggpg2.thumb.jpg.4089572987357da3afec68da517af05b.jpg

 

I think I'll stop at 25 and just try to keep entertaining you lot with the trials and tribulations of a swimming-pool full of fish.

Grover

(swearing off buying another GPG for the moment)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2018 at 12:31 AM, Grover65k said:

Thanx @QldMick  !!

That's wot I thought too.

Really, there's not a big call for another Australian Icon - "The Big Gourami" to go with the "Big Prawn", the "Big Banana", and the "Big Trout".

bigtrout.jpg.dd7a72cde3012680cf12a5db01604d59.jpg

Biggpg2.thumb.jpg.4089572987357da3afec68da517af05b.jpg

 

I think I'll stop at 25 and just try to keep entertaining you lot with the trials and tribulations of a swimming-pool full of fish.

Grover

(swearing off buying another GPG for the moment)

 

 

I’ve heard that before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2018 at 7:01 AM, Grover65k said:

Aaargles. ..

Of course the plumbing blows a major leak as you're trying to leave for work!!!

 

20180212_064906.jpg

However...

The good news is that I now know that Loctite GO2 Gel (Tm of Henkel PL) and purchased from your friendly LFS (aka "Bunnings") joins Ag pipe with a piece of PVC pipe that has rock-hard blue glue already welded into it (a la the above picture).

So it's all systems back to filtering :-)

Grover 

(He's also starting to see more GPGs in the Billabong - up to a dozen at one time! Photos to come .)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the Goldfish Removal Dept ...

Sadly, it seems that the "Minnow/Bait/Shrimp/Net is just too small.

Some of the goldfish are now at least 20cm.

Maybe one of these will work...

Net2.thumb.jpg.b3df526172357d06b11d699ead4da64b.jpg

 

Grover

(Able to breed goldfish no worries, GPGs are proving slightly trickier to multiply ! )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 9:32 PM, Grover65k said:

Back to the Goldfish Removal Dept ...

Sadly, it seems that the "Minnow/Bait/Shrimp/Net is just too small.

Some of the goldfish are now at least 20cm.

Maybe one of these will work...

Net2.thumb.jpg.b3df526172357d06b11d699ead4da64b.jpg

 

Grover

(Able to breed goldfish no worries, GPGs are proving slightly trickier to multiply ! )

Let me know if you need a hand catching goldfish out, I've got a couple of decent nets and traps.

Also have a pink GG that's looking for a new home if you know anyone? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Yodapwnsasmurf

I'll send you a PM  :-)

The reason for me wanting to catch a few (!) goldfish is that I promised @crusty76 a bunch ages ago and I still haven't delivered on this promise.

Basically, I've run out of pool space in that I'm "agisting" about 25 goldfish for a lady friend who is moving house and building a new pond/pool. And until they "clear the deck", I've got nowhere to put any that I can catch from the Billabong. So, the goldies continue their merry life in the green waters and try to avoid getting smashed by the multitude of 7kg+ GPGs ...  LOL !  The goldies also appreciate the 40,000 litres and plenteous food  - they show this appreciation by growing ever larger.

Umm... I think it's a real-life example of -

a-fish-out-of-water.thumb.jpg.4b3927651b6f9a793a7eb70ef9cd1de7.jpg 

 

This appears to be a cautionary tale for budding aquarium enthusiasts  :help:

Grover

(and a cautionary tale for GPG keepers too !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Here's me with a GPG...

A-Fish-Out-of-Water-2.jpg.fefeef257f2abc0687e4f76a5b1e75bb.jpg

Not sure why he's coloured orange tho... that's usually one of the Red Oscars, and I'm sure they're not that large !

Grover

(I seem to remember that "Otto" ends up in a swimming pool.  How bizarre!)

That was one of my favourite books growing up! Loved fish forever I guess haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all you eagle-eyed "GPG-for-sale" spotters,

There may be a few more GPGs coming on the market. But believe me when I say I've had first dibs, but instead have to blow $$$ on fixing the clutch of Mazda RX-8. Sadly, too many burnouts, and drifting all over the country-side.

So, thank you, but I really can't take any more into the Billabong.

Errr... ditto for togas too :behindsofa:

Cheers,

Grover

(he really thinks he does have 25+ GPGs in there somewhere...)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Success !!

At catching goldfish !

The new super-exotic and expensive (AUD$12) net from eBay is worth its weight in fish food! Ha Ha!

Here are today's results...

Goldies-001.thumb.jpg.9af603da27ae62f35b17642990e157ad.jpg

Goldies-002.thumb.jpg.edd776ed72850af294b00a0c0fbfb80b.jpg

Goldies-003.thumb.jpg.dd4419400a1fe688e18260031900b288.jpg

 

@crusty76 will be pleased :-)  As soon as the "agisted" goldfish go off to my lady-friend, it'll be on to goldie capture LOL

Grover

(Proviso: No Oscars or GPGs were harmed in the capture of these goldies.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goldfish Moving Day !

Ahh... memories of the Ekka!

Every child (and really keen adult !) wins a prize goldfish to take home.

ekka-79a.jpg.ab5623db64b729eb3b4656de412647c0.jpg

 

@crusty76 brought some assistant "goldfish wranglers" and went home a happy Vegemite with 32 assorted goldies today!

In exchange, he came up with an excellent lifehack for the Billabong (i.e. some practical and adaptable knowledge dedicated to improving the visibility of the GPGs 4 to 5 ft down!).

Here's the link - 

Pond Pump Prefilter

and one photo from the site - 

SANY1852.thumb.JPG.2c2e05e6c92957f3e2e0900de3154e43.JPG

 

His bright idea was to put a prefilter milk crate on the pump that powers the spray bar, and to cover it in disposable Dacron / white filter wool pads to help in filtering out the fine particles in the water. The GPGs are now visible down to 1-2 feet, but I'm sure all our Billabong aficionados want more underwater video with some clarity !!

Yay crusty!!

Thank you very much.

Cheers, Grover

(apologies for being gone for a while but he has a new lady friend... :hug:   & the GPGs are taking second place :fish: )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:07 PM, Grover65k said:

Goldfish Moving Day !

Ahh... memories of the Ekka!

Every child (and really keen adult !) wins a prize goldfish to take home.

ekka-79a.jpg.ab5623db64b729eb3b4656de412647c0.jpg

 

@crusty76 brought some assistant "goldfish wranglers" and went home a happy Vegemite with 32 assorted goldies today!

In exchange, he came up with an excellent lifehack for the Billabong (i.e. some practical and adaptable knowledge dedicated to improving the visibility of the GPGs 4 to 5 ft down!).

Here's the link - 

Pond Pump Prefilter

and one photo from the site - 

SANY1852.thumb.JPG.2c2e05e6c92957f3e2e0900de3154e43.JPG

 

His bright idea was to put a prefilter milk crate on the pump that powers the spray bar, and to cover it in disposable Dacron / white filter wool pads to help in filtering out the fine particles in the water. The GPGs are now visible down to 1-2 feet, but I'm sure all our Billabong aficionados want more underwater video with some clarity !!

Yay crusty!!

Thank you very much.

Cheers, Grover

(apologies for being gone for a while but he has a new lady friend... :hug:   & the GPGs are taking second place :fish: )

Thanks so much Grover the girls loved catching their new friends! the GG pond looks great by the way! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sort of Update...

Fellow QLDAFers... it has been a while since you last had a GPG update.

Let's just say that the GPGs are all OK, that the year is gradually sliding towards Winter and the appropriate preparations thereof, that Grover is negotiating with AoA to procure a Cetus Sieve, that Crusty's great idea (see above) is still a great idea but has not yet been actioned, &

That Grover is more interested in his new lady friend (who reads this blog/forum/post) than the GPGs.

There I said it!

Shocking though it may be, you'll all just have to live with it.  :behindsofa:

Regards, Grover

(he won't be far away and he continues the Billabong story, but he will be mightily distracted)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Bit of an Update...

Actually, he was further away than he thought, and had left the GPGs in the care of his capable Daughter #1.

Came back to find a "floatie"...  no, no, not a GPG, but a Bronzewing Pigeon!   By Gum!, the GPGs must be a ferocious lot!

You'll be pleased to know that his lady friend has seen the Billabong and thinks it's a major project which shows devotion (and possibly some 'mal' as well). The denizens all decided to lurk in the depths and only the goldfish hordes + the odd Oscar or two put in appearances. She believes me tho, when I tell her there are 25+ giant submarines of up 7kg each cruising in the green water.

Temperatures are starting to cool, so the Summer shade will come off, and the Winter cover will go on.

Not sure about allocating time to this as I would much prefer to allocate precious hours elsewhere... sigh...

Grover

Wow!  a whole month and only a sketchy update of his love life and 1 dead pigeon...   wot's happening?   where are the fishie stories? ? ? )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Real Update  :-)

Yes, you've all been very patient with Grover while he is distracted.

It's also a "good thing" that she has been patient with me too :- ))

The recent cold snap in Brissie galvanised me into action to cover the Billabong. Didn't even stop to pull down the Summer cover - just got the polyfoam pallets out onto the guy ropes then dragged the blue cover on!  The GPGs were impressed at my speed!

It was late afternoon sunlight when I started, but obviously dark at the finish ha!

Cover-01.thumb.jpg.f193adc761007781d4aa1d9061cfb8cd.jpg

Cover-02.thumb.jpg.2309d8bdbb3f6ce848d77d1ca4b846e1.jpg

Cover-03.thumb.jpg.a10d2b848a87ee36b13b00370ff4e8e4.jpg

Cover-04.thumb.jpg.1bf4fa994534bcb1171edf329aab0834.jpg

 

Grover

(now to fire up the heat exchanger on the old pool pump)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×