Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Bayou

Umm...

It's been over a month since I last posted an update - my bad (still distracted).

Anyway, the Billabong is sitting nicely on 20degC so the GPGs are happy. The green algae has all been killed by lack of sunlight and and the 4 monster UVC units running full-bore all day. Which reminds me that I must send down the underwater camera for another video - the water is clear - just need some morning sunlight. Will wait til the gouramis are very hungry, then try videoing them.

Also in my defence, work keeps sending me around the countryside, Winter is Brissie is cold (anything under 20degC is freezing!), and the days are too short.

You're going to have to wait for Spring  :?

Cheers,

Grover

(that's his excuse and he's sticking to it - you'll get clobbered with a knobkierie if you beg to differ...)

21 hours ago, QldMick said:

I beg to differ.. its cold in Warwick and warm in Brisbane. I am looking forward to that underwater video tho.

Ha Ha!

You're right @QldMick , Warwick is bl**dy freezing! Brass monkey thingie territory!

Cheers  :- )

Video Update...

So, here's two videos - one from when the Billabong was solid green (obviously only here for fun).

The other video is from today when the sun was sortof shining, but my camera position only captures them head-standing - must do better next time!

The middle of Winter, and the water is clearer. Apologies for all the goldfish - they breed like rabbits! You'll see a pair of chocolate cichlids in there too (around 0:58). GPGs appear around the 2:15 mark, but the battery runs out at 3:25    :-( 

Cheers,

Grover

3 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Video Update...

So, here's two videos - one from when the Billabong was solid green (obviously only here for fun).

The other video is from today when the sun was sortof shining, but my camera position only captures them head-standing - must do better next time!

The middle of Winter, and the water is clearer. Apologies for all the goldfish - they breed like rabbits! You'll see a pair of chocolate cichlids in there too (around 0:58). GPGs appear around the 2:15 mark, but the battery runs out at 3:25    :-( 

Cheers,

Grover

Yeah that’s mint and those chocolates are badass love it !! 

Inspired Videos...

The Uni of Western Australia has now got to come up to my scintillating video standards :deadhorse:

Today there was muchos sunshine, so again the camera pod went down into the depths of the wild Billabong!

More GPGs !!! :first:  and much fewer goldfish  :wacko:  !!

Two videos now for your pleasure - a shorty (#16) at 1min 42 secs and a thrilling long-play one (#17) at nearly 5 minutes! (PS: gouramis at 2:20 onwards - sorry about the goldfish again!)

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Grover

(also checkout the original "GPG UW Lakenn" series still on YouTube)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query="gpg"+lake+uw

Hooray! 

My non-fishy lady has come back from Canberra , and look what's she's given me.  Can anyone identify the species - a rare Chocolate Barramundi perhaps ¿

Grover

15310953973201784627866.thumb.jpg.34a33cb21992d8011b605dd5afa5b7f6.jpg

Ah Ha! I turned it over and found it's a Murray Cod!

Well done Haigh's :first:

Edited by Grover65k
Imprtant Update :-)

You're right!

I'd be happy to give some away if I can catch them. Last time I used the eBay fish trap all I caught were the Chocolate Cichlids LOL. Had to throw them back in :- )

When Spring appears and the covers come off I'll have another attempt at goldie catching.

Cheers, Grover 

4 hours ago, Grover65k said:

You're right!

I'd be happy to give some away if I can catch them. Last time I used the eBay fish trap all I caught were the Chocolate Cichlids LOL. Had to throw them back in :- )

When Spring appears and the covers come off I'll have another attempt at goldie catching.

Cheers, Grover 

my son mite be keen for some for his pond