Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Bayou

Hey grover....the billabong needs one of these......im thinking of getting one to video natives  and ferals in the local creeks....seems a better option than a go pro  its only about 100mm long and has remote distance of 5 m ..means i dont have to get wet slipping on rocks to retrieve go pro......again

Screenshot_20181105-064633_eBay.jpg

Hi @billfish,

Looks a great concept you've found.

I've had my eye on this one https://fathomdrone.com/  - which popped up some time ago on the Kickstarter program ( Fathom One  ).

The fact that it is tethered is in fact an advantage (because I'm fumble-fingered and don't swim that well ! ).

And it looks the part for chasing GPGs around in the enclosed Billabong.   Sadly, Summer (and lack of $$) has put paid to this idea as the water is now GREEN again  :-(

Fathom1.thumb.jpg.9361ff30c1796217274f94e50f0caeb0.jpg

Cheers,

Grover

And @Pepperbris,

Grover has depressing news on the Oscar front....

The Billabong is down to just 2 or 3 full-size Oscars, and they are not their usual, tail-wagging, happy selves.

I'm fairly certain that the diet I am feeding (everyone) is too far vegetarian for the Oscars to maintain a healthy life-style. I feel bad, and would happily feed them special protein, worms, and crayfish - but the bl@@dy goldfish just demolish everything before the Oscars arrive.  Oh well - I do what I can, but the Vegetarians are winning :yield:

Here are the main culprits...

Billa102.thumb.jpg.a72d6a4534042106424db4110535cf61.jpg

Grover

(more Goldies than GPGs)

Islands Turning Turtle in the Stream...

There you have it!

You go away for a quiet but enjoyable birthday weekend and come home to find your biggest island has turned on its side - nearly capsized the whole way over.

The result?

A smorgasbord of veggie leaves for some hungry GPGs - "Not Happy, Jan !!!!"

Billa104.thumb.jpg.00cec2867117d2546305b34c6ef704c0.jpg

You should be able to pick out the odd leaf stem with no leaf in the photo above.

All courtesy of the ravenous giant gouramis looking for a little variety in their diet :rant:

Still, I'm lucky the whole thing didn't go A over T and finish upside down. Ha!

Regards,

Grover

(GPGs "1", Grover's Islands "2.5")   He's still just marginally ahead at the moment.

@Grover65k how goes the pond? Long time no update for me!

Any issues with the solar heaters?

How did you go with the removing of all the Goldfish, I think I remember you were going to try getting rid of them a long time ago.

On 06/11/2018 at 1:28 PM, Grover65k said:

And @Pepperbris,

Grover has depressing news on the Oscar front....

The Billabong is down to just 2 or 3 full-size Oscars, and they are not their usual, tail-wagging, happy selves.

I'm fairly certain that the diet I am feeding (everyone) is too far vegetarian for the Oscars to maintain a healthy life-style. I feel bad, and would happily feed them special protein, worms, and crayfish - but the bl@@dy goldfish just demolish everything before the Oscars arrive.  Oh well - I do what I can, but the Vegetarians are winning :yield:

Here are the main culprits...

Billa102.thumb.jpg.a72d6a4534042106424db4110535cf61.jpg

Grover

(more Goldies than GPGs)

Looks like the Carp are dominating....

Hi @wadedidit,

It'll be OK. @crusty76 has a plan to use a cast net in December for "Goldie Removal".

Why December?

Grover is going to be away in deepest, darkest South Africa for the rest of November... and he won't be paddling around the creeks like @billfish does in Oz !

Why not?    Let's see now... there's

• Amoebic dysentery

• Cholera

• Cryptosporidium 

• Giardia intestinalis

• not to forget - Schistosomiasis

• and there's Dracunculiasis, also called Guinea-worm disease (GWD)

• plus a host of other nasties.

So, no!

Grover won't be wading around the freshwater creeks of Africa dip-netting for exotic tropical fish any time this month!

If you're lucky, you might get an O/S update - you'll have to wait and see if I find Wi-Fi in the jungle.

Totsiens,

Grover

(Grover goes native and learns basic Afrikaans to survive in RSA)

Edited by Grover65k
Spellling again!

Dateline: Sometime

Stroom: Doreen & Albert Falls

After a bit of a hike... going 4 klms in the wrong direction  we ended back at the hotel in time for lunch,  then off up another valley in the mountains. The stream/creek ( or stroom) had a lovely waterfall hidden in the scrub. 

And....

Tadpoles, caddis fly larvae (or at least the RSA equivalent), and a surprise inhabitant!

See next post for photo.

OK...

This is the next post, but I'm getting that weird "unsafe" website message and I can't upload the photos.

Besides  it's 2am in BrisVegas and you're all asleep. Check back in a bit later...

Totsiens,

Grover 

He's back!

Sorry for the delay... a small matter of exploring Kruger National Park interrupted the forum updates  :- )

Here's the surprise inhabitant I found at Doreen Falls

AF-FW-crab.thumb.jpg.5060b2227d2a9ac20ed3205e66de07d1.jpg

A fast-moving freshwater crab!

Cheers,

Grover

(more updates to come once he recovers from jet-lag)

Apparently I'm working on my own pond! Went for a swim last night and disturbed some ducks... How many bags of salt do I need to sustain a reef shark?

Would rather a nibble on my toes than swimming with duck shat!

24 minutes ago, FatSalvatore said:

Would rather a nibble on my toes than swimming with duck shat!

Well done!

You too can have your own billabong, just forget to run the pool pump and let the water go green! Ha ha!

I had ducks visiting right at the very start back in 2015...

Ducks-2015.thumb.jpg.e900b64b7b23b8ce1cf09cf13d0082ce.jpg

Ducks-2015a.thumb.jpg.f0d261d5e23d8b5629ffff5b75cbb8bb.jpg

And yes, swimming in duck-do-do's is not recommended.

Grover

Where Were We.... ?

Ahh..  now I remember - the Billabong.

Happy to report that there were no floaty GPGs on my return from South Africa. Just one large floating goldfish, and a second dried-out specimen near the giant spray-bar.

Number 1 Daughter did an excellent job of feeding, but the Cr@p filter and Big Blue Barrels were filled to the brim with green gunk. I've emailed @ageofaquariums about my ordered Cetus Sieve, but haven't yet heard back from them - will follow-up soon, as with the arrival of Summer the green water load needs regular 2-day cleaning of the filters.

So, the report from South Africa ???

Well, disappointing in that I didn't actually find an aquarium store - I'm sure they are there - just didn't happen to see one in my travels. And yes, I was rather more concerned with the LARGE land animals ha! Found one aquarium in a tourist store - populated with zebra danios which come to think of it was suited to the country :- )

Zebra-danios.thumb.jpg.c8a4c48a61d55f127a83ebeb6afc4907.jpg

Also, whilst in the Drakensberg National Park area, there was a display about the San tribal people who used to hunt Mudfish and Yellowfish (some species of Labeo is as close as I can tell).

Drakensberg0.thumb.jpg.614b77f166558e35a03d05e0d8e4b57c.jpg   Drakensberg1.thumb.jpg.9295e09d720f83503716742101a7bc03.jpg

Apart from the  Doreen & Albert Falls (see previous post above for the famous crab),

DoreenFalls.thumb.jpg.e509224e31e305d267336670cbf9233a.jpg

the only other body of water of interest was Lake William (to be honest - less of a lake and more of a pond - IMHO). 

Website for walks if you're interested:   Lake William

LAKE WILLIAM     2.5 – 3 Hours Return     Difficulty: B = Moderate

Here's Grover investigating...

Drakensberg.thumb.jpg.3d1a5aedce3f073597ee3eb8c6ed6a90.jpgDrakensberg2.thumb.jpg.94f3a3bc6abb3a824f8e3061a26f487e.jpg

Really, I was somewhat out-of-shape and out-of-breath after 2hrs of moderate hiking, hence the lying down state on a rickety jetty - Phew!

And no, you don't get to see the 400+ photos of wildlife + exotic close-up videos of Olifants, Rhinoceross, and Leonine beastie:clap2: 

Cheers,

Grover

(happily back in Oz where the largest animals he has to face are 6ft kangaroos - herbivores!)

And....

Just in case your tanks don't run to the size requiring a Cetus Sieve...

They look like this -

Cetus-Sieve.thumb.jpg.88de4c26ddb0fcab2aee7cc3ee1fa908.jpg

Although obviously not with one of the sides missing, and it's intended to replace this... 

(the BCF - aka Big Cr@p Filter)

BCFilter.thumb.jpg.c1efcac60fe03ce5b4766bfd7ba01789.jpg

Cheers,

Grover

(he'll be back into plumbing in the New Year)