Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Bayou

On 21/01/2018 at 9:33 PM, HaydnRex said:

It's a sign! Haha

Yes!

It's a sign I'm losing it big time!

Update tomorrow as it's past my bedtime - but we'd like to welcome the addition of "Frenchy" to the Billabong.

Don't ask me what it means - Daughter No.1 choose the name (and I saved myself from paying the $50 'daughter-tax-on-new-GPGs' I usually have to give her when I buy a new GPG ha ha).

Cheers,

Grover

PS: Over the weekend Island #3 was built and launched - pictures to come...

Billabong "Islands in the Skye"

Before we get to "Frenchy" you need an update on the latest addition in floating vegetation!

On Sunday, it was enforced "don't do much" day thanx to Dr's orders, so of course playing with the fish counts as "not much"! 

Basically, I sat for a few hours threading black zipties through plastic fencing wrapped around the pool noodles encased in flexible water pipe. And this is the result:

Frenchy-002.thumb.jpg.dae9172e2de77675b335d168eb5dbaba.jpg

Then, it was visit the frog pond round the side and grab the Elephant Ears (not the species Cunjevoi Alocasio macrorrhiza ), but the relative that you see growing along the banks of creeks in Brisbane. Especially Kedron Brook, where the Border Collie likes to visit and swim.

Here's one of the other islands with a few small examples starting out - 

Frenchy-006.thumb.jpg.4cb172ad628f282efd6ec839b768d6b3.jpg  

And here's Island No.3 as a first attempt - 

Frenchy-004.thumb.jpg.685a3e6787b0ba53a78b30ceb213df29.jpg

Yes, it looks bedraggled, but worse is to come :fish:

About 15minutes after launch I noticed that the island was shaking  - not violently - just a wobble every now and then.

Ah ha! The GPGs had discovered the Elephant Ear leaves dangling in the water and decided that they were a tasty treat destined just for them!

Frenchy-010.thumb.jpg.cbfae7e53e31f3f7607e62cd77587a78.jpg

Here's a part-time photo after a few nibbles!

Frenchy-020.thumb.jpg.368c3580d02dad6ef3c79f31703a7fba.jpg

And this morning there were just a few stalks drooping in the water...  LOL !

I'm fairly confident the E.E.s will recover and grow OK, but if their leaves get anywhere near the edge it'll be "game-on" for the GPGs.

Ha!

Cheers, Grover

(PS: Island #3 has been named a "Aquaholics Island" ) 

Now for "Frenchy"...

Some of you will remember the "daughter-tax" initiated by Daughter No.1 to curb my GPG purchasing habit.

I've now worked out a LOOPHOLE !  (Alright, to be honest - she came up with the new legal interpretation :mrgreen: )

By getting her involved in the actual delivery, launching , and naming of new GPG she waives the tax... Yippee !!

The arrival of "Frenchy" - thanks to @HaydnRex and Greg from GumTree  (as transported in the 150 litre Esky) - 

Frenchy-022.thumb.jpg.31da88bec736e8be10d79cae1520d716.jpg

Then we have the careful acclimatisation to Billabong waters (it's at this point Daughter indicates that the Esky is floating and can't be made to go any lower into the water, and can I help please by stopping taking photos on my phone ????) -

Frenchy-027.thumb.jpg.fa42a5b081256db11440bebed645adf3.jpg

Finally, the launch into the still green (but a LOT less green than it used to be) Billabong - 

Frenchy-031.thumb.jpg.d9e4b7affe1b87910ad2edf48426c4fb.jpg

Cheers,

Grover

PS:   (I checked, and the last GPG I acquired was "Gordon" back in October 2015, which is pretty much a 2 year gap )

PPS: (Not quite sure I should admit this - but the count of GPGs is waaaayyy over 20+.  Obviously the green water hides a lot. )

Technicalities...

Yes, It's the hardware view of the GPG filters again!

Filter01.thumb.jpg.1db1b79aa034b85ca5a2103a9bdfa7ed.jpg

You might notice that the BCF is sitting on a brand-new stand courtesy of Bunnings. The old one (circa 2009) was showing signs of rust and has been demoted to holding seedling trays. The photo is mid-build as I've decided that the UVCs (2x 36W) were struggling after 2-3 weeks of continuous running, and they are getting beefed up. Tomorrow is a visit to @ageofaquariums for another 2 Blagdon Pro UVC 32400's (hopefully they'll also have a Link Kit #1050388) which will give me 144W of algae-killing UV ! With this increase in wattage, I'll also adjust the timer to use the solar panel electricity from about 6am to 6pm, and give it a rest at night.

As a pre-emptive strike, I will be visiting Reece Plumbing at 7am tomorrow morning to acquire a fine selection of 40mm plumbing bits so that I can re-attach the UV clarifiiers into the plumbing spaghetti that runs the BCF and BBBs. Future work is being budgeted to get the BBF (Bog Bed Filter) operational - I've been extremely slack in that department.

And lastly as a treat - here are some more "action" GPG photos...

A giant male eyeing off the Spray Bar!

GPGtoday-002.thumb.jpg.aa08708149b204c69b83d7f898c2fea0.jpg

Long-range photographs of what happens when you surprise them!!

1)

GPGtoday-003.thumb.jpg.1665b122881449819d7be6cd8d120078.jpg

2)

GPGtoday-004.thumb.jpg.4e7f107ffc75f7c7eb39b90c11f9b625.jpg

3)

GPGtoday-001.thumb.jpg.b11242b72ccf60f36bf208c4f9adcd82.jpg

Cheers, Grover

(Trust me! The plumbing is all in support of the quadranscentennial number of GPGs)

Six and One Half Hours of Plumbing Later...

Finally!

Mind you, this included some routing of electrical cables and a multitude of zipties too.

But back to the plumbing. There's some tricky pipework hidden away in there - 

Pipework.png.8efdb0980ab3550adca42dbdff35f2d0.png

I also discovered the "rotational twist strength" of one of the new joints!    It ain't much!!    (These are the joints that link the Blagdon weld pipe section to ag PVC pipe. The ag PVC is resistant to all sorts of glues - next time I'll go with different varieties of super glue :(  ).

So I mumble under my breath, the Border Collie hides under the stairs, then I stamp  onto the back verandah to find the sandpaper, glue, and silicone to re-build the joint. While that's setting I launch back into pipework to connect the UVCs.

Here's the final spaghetti ag pipe design all connected - 

Filterfinish-002.thumb.jpg.f350ed6662ba49551dc8ad0ca78f811e.jpg

With the UVCs neatly installed and labelled RI (Right In), RO (Right Out), LI (Left In), & LO (Left Out).

Only because I figure that I'll need to know what goes where at sometime down the track - 

Filterfinish-001.thumb.jpg.aed76b99776ca2458aba547f9282422b.jpg

The timer has been re-set to run 6am to 6pm during the sunshine hours; hopefully using all my solar power. You can tell I'm being stingy by not giving it back to SEQEB (or whoever they are now) for 6c a "zap". Especially as it costs me about 26c per "zap" from them  :flame:

OK cobbers, you're going to have to wait at least another 2 weeks to see results because the filter has been off for a few days now and the Billabong slid backwards in the green colour department. Just come back for a visit halfway through February  :ranger:

Regards, Grover

PS: I think a "zap" roughly equates to a kilowatt/hour

7 hours ago, ageofaquariums said:

Need to get a white disk on a piece of marked dowel, so you can check the depth you can see it at! I love this thread :D

Excellent idea from AoA !

The Secchi disk, as created in 1865 by Angelo Secchi, springs to mind as a super-simple piece of kit for this exercise! 

secchidisc.gif.3049fc4821300c5105c9af326448fd2a.gif 

You've given me another little project to amuse the Border Collie, frazzle the GPGs, and update the QLDAF audience  :angel:

secchiboat.gif.d8d11112b431344de695d51f0967125f.gif  secchi.jpg.cebe28776c095ec4c961410945b5ee3b.jpg

Hmm...

I'm going to need a bigger swimming pool Billabong to run a speedboat on it  -  ha ha!

Grover

Hi @Slipshodman,

Wot about an RC Battleship?

smasherdestroyer.thumb.jpg.6817cf8b712530501cfb74dad1042a6d.jpg

The GPGs would love chasing it round and round and trying to eat it!

Or perhaps a Torpedo Boat, so I could chase the GPGs??

Torpedo-Boat.thumb.jpg.20d7787d23ccd0df53855be62fb90c8a.jpg

The water is still too green for an RC submarine with in-built camera, but maybe one day it'll appear in the Billabong...

Seawolf.thumb.jpg.40fb8ab23f5c3506b63dc8b3c0192830.jpg

Grover

(still a big kid at heart!)

23 hours ago, wadedidit said:

Any chance you’ll fire up the GoPro again?

Yep!

As soon as the water clears enough I'll break out the camera-on-a-stick for more GPG videos.

I'm looking forward to this too :- )))

Grover 

(Gone to Kingaroy for the weekend, so Daughter #1 gets to feed the giant gouramis)

27 minutes ago, Grover65k said:

Yep!

As soon as the water clears enough I'll break out the camera-on-a-stick for more GPG videos.

I'm looking forward to this too :- )))

Grover 

(Gone to Kingaroy for the weekend, so Daughter #1 gets to feed the giant gouramis)

Well, get cracking!

31 minutes ago, HaydnRex said:

I think his daughter will love naming another GPG. 

Guys! Guys!  (and Ladies!)

How to say this???

I counted 24 or 25 as the water is clearing - so perhaps I've been greedy?   Or I can't count very well, and double-counted some!

We need to take a vote over the weekend - results Monday!

1. Who thinks I need more GPGs        :clap2:   
  2. and Who thinx I have enough ?   :fish:

Grover

(mind you, Mt Cotton is only a short drive away from Stafford...   umm...   )

1 hour ago, Grover65k said:

How to say this???

I counted 24 or 25 as the water is clearing - so perhaps I've been greedy?   Or I can't count very well, and double-counted some!

Grover

You daughter wants to name another for sure. 

1 hour ago, Grover65k said:

How to say this???

Grover

You daughter wants to name another for sure.