Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Bayou

OK...

So now it's New Year's Eve and I'm stuck in Melbourne for work. Best I can do is watch the fireworks from the balcony of the B&B, then go touring Melbourne aquarium stores on 01-Jan. 

From Williamstown Aquarium to the Coburg shop and any inbetween  :- ))   (except they'll probably be closed - uurgles)

We'll see who's open and if they have any baby GPGs ha ha.! If they do, I'd have to stuff them in my Qantas carry-on bags. :crazy:

Cheers, and Happy Fishy New Year

Grover

Thought so...

All the places I went were closed  :- (

Wiiliamstown-Aquarium.thumb.jpg.20a9ed15db2f4ed3d610407f7e69ff41.jpg

So instead, I went for a drive in the countryside and ended up at Mount Macedon - visiting the Remembrance Cross.

Remembrance-Cross.thumb.jpg.3d2b00ee59c436b887908c3781e87dae.jpg

My Grandfather was at Gallipoli from February 1915 for a number of months (he survived that, and then got sent to Passchendaele, Flanders, and Ypres in France). He made it back to Australia OK, otherwise I wouldn't be here now :- )   Anyway, the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross commemorates those who gave their lives in the 1914 – 1918 War so it was worth the visit to remember Grandad Charlie B there.

Daughter Number #1 reports the GPGs are all happy - I'm still planning / wondering how to net out the bl**dy goldfish which seem to be taking over. Ha! That's a job for when I get back to Brissie.

Have to re-appear at Melbourne work tomorrow and be somewhat productive.

Cheers,

Grover

Gotta Love Google !

Found this - with a bit of luck I can clear out (and give away) a bunch of Goldies !!

Prawn-net.thumb.jpg.08984ef4d9e9a0bf647ec2627876041e.jpg

Hmm...

Now how do I persuade the Border Collie to hold the other end of the net and run it thru the Billabong with me ???

Border-Collie.thumb.jpg.3229ccf96675738bb97b233ade36281b.jpg

Grover

(Temporarily puzzled... and head-less... and it looks like one of his legs has been eaten by the Border Collie !! )

Technicalities in the Billabong...

The GPGs are all fine, but the old swimming pool pump has had a coronary while I was away in Melbourne - oh dear!

And the spare pump?  - the Davey Silensor which I've had in a box for 4 years waiting for just this occasion ???

Of course! The fittings to the pipe work are different from the dead Onga!!  Aaaaarrgghh!!

Off to my plumbing shop - Reece Plumbing tomorrow.

Grover

(Grrrrrrrrr........)

Stop Press:

Change of plans! Can't be bothered with re-doing the plumbing, so have ordered online a new Onga PPP 1.0hp for a straight-forward swap-out/swap-in exercise. Much easier on my plumbing skills :fish:

Edited by Grover65k
Update: Stop Press

7 hours ago, HaydnRex said:

Thanx @HaydnRex

Looks very interesting...

Q: What is in Splosht?

A: Splosht is a unique blend of baccilus strains that naturally grow and: 

– Reduce nitrates and phosphates
– Reduce sludge levels
– Clarify the water
– Reduce ammonia levels

Splosht International Pty Ltd

Level 1, 234 Curtis Rd
Munno Para, South Australia 5115

Just question to all QLDAFers... (and any of our visiting readers from South Australia !)

Has anybody else had experience with this? It says "Safe for fish", but as I've got a quite few $$$ swimming in the Billabong, you won't want to hear that I've killed them all by SPLOSHTing them!!

Any and all observations or advice listened to, and then Grover will make up his own mind :drum:

Cheers

Grover

(the photos do look tempting tho...)

Splosht.thumb.jpg.78f7f18dd27d18b86cc28b49555fbcef.jpg

hiya @Grover65k

I am the guilty party that started the other thread because i wanted to give it a go and knew nothing of it ... But I am a New South Welshman ... not from that funny place SA

It does work to clear up the water and only takes a few days to do so and stays that way for some weeks, my ponds are chained together and probably total 2500 Ltrs ish max so a littel smaller that teh "Grande Olde Billabong"

but i must state ....I do not have any fish in my ponds, i do have waterdragons and frogs though and they have not been effected 

But once you start you cant stop otherwise it goes back to a green boggy mess 

the guys at AOA stated in the other thread 

Its a bacteria food suppliment that artificially increases the population of nitrate/phosphate eating bacteria. While they are alive the nitrate/phosphate is bound up....  but if you stop feeding it, they starve and die and the nitrate/phosphate is released into the water where it can be used by the algae to bloom again. Kinda like showing someone ciggies and then them being stuck addicted to them.....    personally I think the CSIRO did it better with phoslock. But its best for aquarists to solve the cause of algae blooms (nutrient load) rather than just treat the symptoms over and over and over and over and over. 

Cheers 

Thanx @Slipshodman & @the cichlid kid

The first half of 2019 is going to see a refurbishment of the entire Billabong filtration system (when the Cetus Sieve arrives... hint hint @ageofaquariums)

The Bog Bed Filter (BBF) will finally get a load of scoria, and together with the Cetus Sieve, this will hopefully make a difference to the "Kermit" green colour.

Here's a memory from South Africa that I'm aiming for... 

Waterfall.thumb.jpg.8420cd07efe6eee52ad58111507426e2.jpg   Didima-Camp-Map.thumb.jpg.74b81d196489a5595eada5cd11659ebc.jpg

Doreen Falls, on what I think is the Mhlonhlo Creek flowing into the uMlambonja River.

Cathedral Peak and Didima Camp Map

Cheers,

Grover

(the water from the top of the Drakensberg range was clear, clean, and cool)

Automatic Fish Feeders... (for the Billabong???)

Yes !

I think I've solved the problem of how to feed Giant Pink Gouramis (GPGs) for at least a week, while I gallivant all over Australia for an IT project (alright - so it's only South Australia as a destination, and even then it's the exciting, tourist-catchy town of...  Whyalla !  :drum:  )

The answer came to me (as most do) in the disguise of a problem. Sometime ago I reported that one of the islands had tried to turn turtle, but only got half-way and was lying on its side with the Elephant Ear leaves in the water.

Inspiration strikes!!!

The GPGs happily munched off most of the leaves over the next month or so - here is how it looks now.

Canteen1.thumb.jpg.48fe6bbcac6116ab29774a33b752f34c.jpg

And, you can see that it is still very attractive to a hungry gourami! The plant root systems are embedded in the island structure, so if I get it floating flat again the plants should recover.

Now for the bright idea - 

I have a second island with plants standing tall and proud. So, before I leave for sunny Adelaide (and the Wilds of Whyalla) tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to tip the island on its side and let the GPGs hoe into the plants while I'm away. Daughter #1 is busy and my niece can be a bit erratic in the feeding dept. at times.

Canteen2.thumb.jpg.5ec8908da9256b53ae49d24d441f7b59.jpg

Ta Da ! = Automatic Fish Feeder for Giant Pink Gouramis  (AFFGPG)

Remember cobbers! 

You saw it here first!

Grover

(OK... now hit those Thanks, Ha Ha, Like, or even Confused icons... we need to up the ratings please :-)

Clipboard01.jpg.b164d1c20c0f3e2c43c0e935fc7bf47e.jpg

EDIT: Thank you crusty (Numero One supporter of GPGs); everyone just thinks the GPGs are clickbait... ha ha!

Edited by Grover65k
Thanx to Support Team ! (All 3 of you !)

Does your boss hate u? Whyalla  ......only thing to see there is the main road out..and the steel smelter...unless youre a fisherman then the best place to be is 10 km out to sea.............been there,seen it, didnt think much of it....left 

23 minutes ago, billfish said:

Does your boss hate u? Whyalla  ......only thing to see there is the main road out..and the steel smelter...unless youre a fisherman then the best place to be is 10 km out to sea.............been there,seen it, didnt think much of it....left 

Just quietly, I may get to see the inside of the steelworks...  THRILL !!!

The accommodation is down by the beach - the Whyalla Foreshore Motor Inn (I'm taking some good books to read whilst sitting and overlooking the pristine blue waters and sandy beaches; I expect it'll be just like sunny, tropical Qld beaches eh?).

And an update on the AFFGPG

Canteen3.thumb.jpg.74a8ad925e63cdd1d5ad1ccef90ba93d.jpg

Island is tipped over just waiting for GPG munching.

Cheers, Grover

(Off to the exotic locale of beach-side Whyalla - where it's only 41+ deg C )

On 20/01/2019 at 4:01 PM, Grover65k said:

Just quietly, I may get to see the inside of the steelworks...  THRILL !!!

The accommodation is down by the beach - the Whyalla Foreshore Motor Inn (I'm taking some good books to read whilst sitting and overlooking the pristine blue waters and sandy beaches; I expect it'll be just like sunny, tropical Qld beaches eh?).

And an update on the AFFGPG

Canteen3.thumb.jpg.74a8ad925e63cdd1d5ad1ccef90ba93d.jpg

Island is tipped over just waiting for GPG munching.

Cheers, Grover

(Off to the exotic locale of beach-side Whyalla - where it's only 41+ deg C )

yeh i did the steelworks tour as a kid...back when health and safety were non existant..all i remember was faark them smelting crucibles were huge and it was hot.......

atleast your boss didnt send you to Port Augusta...or porta.gutta as they call it down there

And around the corner...

was where I am staying.

Whalla.thumb.jpg.4b4ac93d59c78d744c6fbeee13789fee.jpg

Apparently, it's an area famous for cuttlefish breeding. I've never seen any in a marine aquarium, only the white internal cuttlefish "shell" that you pick up on the beach and take home for the Budgie to sharpen its beak on.

Grover

(back in Brissie to the Billabong at the end of the week)