Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Bayou

Yippee @HaydnRex :-) 

I think I remember last time buying myself another giant gourami as a birthday present !

The numbers for sale seem to be diminishing as the years go by...

(I know I don't own all of them!)

Grover

(wishes he was 21 again, but with 50+ years of experience - HA! )

I can think of two giant gourami that aren't  in the billabong.

One is in a crepe cafe in aspley and the other is in annerly aquarium.

At least there was last time I was in both of those places.

Can't remember if they were both pink or not tho.

Ahh... yes!

I've met the one at Annerley Aquarium :-)  Seeing him was part of the inspiration for keeping them - just add 40,000 litres of water :banplease:

I google-imaged "Crepe cafe" Aspley", and all I could find was this !

pc_chochwof.jpg

Obviously not a Giant Pink Gourami! LOL

1 hour ago, l2h said:

Ummm.... let's see now...

Edmonton to Cairns - about 20min drive.

Cairns to Brissie drive - about 18.5 hours non-stop!!

LOL !   I'm not that keen!

In fact I'm sure the GPGs would be much happier going to CNS. Warmer water all year round, tropical climate, diurnal cycle very similar to SE Asia.

Maybe i should move up there :- )

Grover

Hi @aquaholic99 

That's a really appreciated offer & you are  :first: for fish support,   but I think I've reached "critical mass" for GPGs!

By that I mean they have sorted out their temperamental differences and live in reasonable harmony (all 20+).

If I lob a few more in it may upset the pecking order and lead to gourami violence :-(   This year there has been only the odd scale turn-up in the filter, whereas just after the Billabong launched in early 2015 there were heaps of scales of all sizes appearing!!   I can still do 'rescue' fish  - a la "G for George" - as he was pretty much on death's door with tatty fins and terrible bodywork.

The ones I have just keep growing...

Time for a bigger pool?

Grover

Be Glad QLDAF Doesn't Have "Smell-O-Vision"

Why?

Because I cleaned out the BCF and the BBBs (Big Cr*p Filter / Big Blue Barrels) this afternoon :laser:

How I envy the people with micro / nano tanks who happily get a cup of rainwater and gently squish a tiny filter chunk, then re-assemble everything on the kitchen sink (when the other half isn't watching), and then spend all of 2 mins putting a wonderful little ecosystem back in balance!

Come to the Billabong!

Thrill to the gooey excitement of heaving completely bog-laden, full-sized sheets of Matala out of the BCF! Stand there with the garden hose on high pressure for 15minutes, using litres of water in a foamy blast to remove the green gunk!

20-BCF-a.jpg20-BCF-b.jpg

Spend the next ten minutes just re-assembling the BCF, then move on to the BBBs. Unlock the drum lid retainers and remove the lids (try not to breathe for a minute or two at this point in the proceedings!). Peer down into the depths of the barrels just to assess the work ahead of you...

20-BBB-a.jpg

Go on! Take a closer look!

20-BBB-b.jpg

Eeeewwww! 

Repeat as for the BCF, except that I've sliced the Matala into roundels...

Captain-O.jpg

(Captain Obvious: "Roundels - so they fit in the round barrels")

so there's actually less surface area in each one, but there are four of them per barrel. Here's the blue Matala that I picked up from Donny at AoA sometime ago - it's still holding its own in the filtering department. This is the update half-way thru cleaning it and that's an indication of the amount of crud produced by 20+GPGs, a bunch of cute Albino Oscars, 8 or 9 Plecostomii, assorted goldfish, a few chocolate cichlids, and a solitary toga :faint:

20-BBB-c.jpg

Now, start at the bottom and re-assemble the BBBs (both of them) -

20-BBB-d.jpg

Test run the complete system. You'll be standing there for at least another 10minutes while the 400litres worth of BBB drums and the 150litre BCF re-fill!

Ta Da!

You've finished the regular filter maintenance - and it only took an hour and 15 minutes while the sun was going down.

Grover

(putting his feet up and reading QLDAF posts for entertainment) 

Rustling in the Reeds Update

Checked the Billabong this arvo after the rainstorm - water level had gone up about 5cm, the GPGs were happily surfacing and blowing bubbles at me. But the soggy mess of plant leaves in the papyrus plant has come apart - this gives me to think that somebody has given up the effort of building a nest. Oh well...

The other two giant gouramis are still happily shaking the iris plants around the other side of 'Crusty Corner', so I'll keep an eye on them.

And yes, the full-bore filter cleaning exercise only happens once a month! 

Grover

(they still wanted their pellets after the storm...)

100-gpg.jpg

Help! Gourami Nesting Material??

Right!   I think I have a problem.

No, no… not that sort of a (insert your own idea) problem !

The gourami pairs need nesting material if they are going to keep rustling in the reeds, and sadly the iris plants just produce large, long, floaty leaves which are useful but that the gouramis don’t seem to be wildly interested to use in the baskets. I’ve done some web-espionage (thanx to FaceBook) on what other people use for GPG nesting material …

FaceBook Giant Gouramis

Nesting-01.jpg

But, It’s anybody’s guess what the comments are on this picture?? 

Basically, the problem is that I need floating skinny material that’s flexible; is the “Goldilocks” size – not too small, not too large; and can be handled by giant gouramis (or more correctly “mouthed” by giant gouramis – we’re talking mouth opening size about the size of a squash ball / golf ball). At one of my favourite stores – Whitworths Marine, I found floating rope which was made of individual smaller strands. However, on closer fiddling, these strands broke down into tiny thread-like pieces which I really wasn’t keen on letting near the GPGs. Figured that tiny pieces might get swallowed and cause internal blockages and death – NOT A GOOD LOOK  :-/

Nesting-02.jpgNesting-04.jpg

Which brings me to the “Help” department…

HELP

I'm asking the QLDAF community (& visitors!)   -  

"Please provide any & all suggestions on what I can use for GPG nesting material in the Billabong" :pop2:

Criteria: 

• It’s acceptable that some of the stuff may get eaten – hopefully it would just come out the other end and not kill them.
  • Artifical, or natural (but not hugely expensive if possible)
  • Its really got to be submerged, but float, or at least sink extremely slowly, that way the sump pumps don’t get strangled in the first day or two of use!
  • Thickness?  Possibly “angel-hair pasta” size?  With its diameter between 0.85 mm and 0.92 mm it is a very thin variety of Italian pasta. (LOL – I can just see me throwing packet-fuls of uncooked Angel hair pasta in the Billabong   Ha ha! )
  • I’ve already sussed out coconut fibre and it looks way too fine – it’ll kill my filters stone dead in short order
  • Otherwise, all suggestions happily followed up!

Thanx In Advance,
Grover
(maybe uncooked spaghetti would actually work – who knows! ) 

Nesting-03.jpg

20 minutes ago, QldMick said:

may seem odd but have you tried elodea plant?

Hi,

No, that's not odd at all, but the GPGs just DEVOUR it like it was manna from heaven!

It's lasts about 5 seconds...  LOL

Good try - any more ideas pls???  What sort of straw varieties might work?

Hmmm..

Not so good LOL

Giant Bird ഗൗരാമികളുടെ as പ്രജനനക്കൂട്

giant%2Bgourami%2Bnest%2B%25281%2529.jpg
How to react to a number of people in their nests and eggs വയ്ക്കുമെന്നുള്ളത് ഗൗരാമികൾ. Simple answer, പക്ഷികളുടേപ്പോലെ is ഗൗരാമികളുടെ cage. The cage of a bird cage വയ്ക്കുന്നപോലെയാണ് affirmative ഫ്രെയിമിനുള്ളിലോ പുല്ലുകൾക്കിടയിലോ build upset. The film will see a large hole in the middle. നിന്നുകൊള്ളും കമഴ്ന്നിരിക്കുന്നതിനാൽ sounds to the eggs out of the box. In contrast, only water leaving the eggs in a large ഓളംതട്ടിയാൽ. 

I still think it looks like spaghetti!

Edited by Grover65k

56 minutes ago, Pepperbris said:

Have you considered something like cane vine. Similar to the stuff they make the table ornaments out of in the Balinese style shops. Not sure on how you'd go bulk purchasing it. But it might get the brain juices flowing

Actually - good idea! Maybe I should try florist shops - they have vine-sort of things for their flower arrangements :fish:

What about some of the large wetland grasses that are quite stringy - thinking cane grass ( Eragrostis), Glyceria,, water cooch, or even the leaves of Phragmites - I would think you could harvest trailer loads without needing to drive too far. - However - all that organic matter is going to make a mess on the bottom of the billabong as it decomposes.

Big floating mats of nymphoides lilys?   Or do the GPG eat them?