Grover65k

Giant Pink Gourami – Billabong Bayou

4 minutes ago, Grover65k said:

Ooohh...

That's not good. Sorry for your loss - it really pains when you've cared for them for so long...

I've only just started getting back into the hobby, my first and last time with Goldfish Lol.

I don't think they have GG bug.  

These look like young GG (and other exotics) that have imported via non traditional methods, and are now being sold on FB in closed group.

End of Season...

The weather is still balmy and sunny, but a few mornings ago there was a chill in the air, so I think this year's breeding effort has gone tootling past...

Mind you - there was the excitement of seeing a nest built in the papyrus plant; which gives me hope for the future :drum:

And I now know to get the papyrus plants going in large pots, find lots of elephant ear plant offcuts, and not worry about filtration so much. The iris plants will have to be retired to the Bog Bed Filter (when I get a round tuit and sort it out).  Those irises in the Billabong sortof faded and then the GPGs just dismembered them - I was left to fish out floaty bits and pieces and attempt to save the root stock in a kiddy swimming pool.

In regard to next year, I've already spotted a creek with a large expanse of elephant ears beside an industrial estate where no-one is going to miss a trailer load!

So, while the sun is still shining, I'd better start preparing for cool 10degC nights.

Cheers,

Grover

Problems with Too Many Goldfish in Your Billabong ?

You Need a Culling Machine !

Thanx to a little known time-warp, "Spencer Gifts" in Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA can help :) if you live in 1954 still !

"Fish is favorite dish!"

Only $4.95 (postage paid), and 5 days delivery (probably by "WrongWay" Couriers!).

Alligator.thumb.jpg.bb09775f8dd7a6729085e6008b133b6f.jpg

Ignore the Donkeys!

cheers,

Grover

2 hours ago, Grover65k said:

Problems with Too Many Goldfish in Your Billabong ?

You Need a Culling Machine !

Thanx to a little known time-warp, "Spencer Gifts" in Atlantic City, New Jersey, USA can help :) if you live in 1954 still !

"Fish is favorite dish!"

Only $4.95 (postage paid), and 5 days delivery (probably by "WrongWay" Couriers!).

Alligator.thumb.jpg.bb09775f8dd7a6729085e6008b133b6f.jpg

Ignore the Donkeys!

cheers,

Grover

If ya do have to many Grover...... I'm still trying to fill mine with goldies hint-hint ;) 

On 21/02/2017 at 8:04 PM, Grover65k said:

End of Season...

The weather is still balmy and sunny, but a few mornings ago there was a chill in the air, so I think this year's breeding effort has gone tootling past...

Mind you - there was the excitement of seeing a nest built in the papyrus plant; which gives me hope for the future :drum:

And I now know to get the papyrus plants going in large pots, find lots of elephant ear plant offcuts, and not worry about filtration so much. The iris plants will have to be retired to the Bog Bed Filter (when I get a round tuit and sort it out).  Those irises in the Billabong sortof faded and then the GPGs just dismembered them - I was left to fish out floaty bits and pieces and attempt to save the root stock in a kiddy swimming pool.

In regard to next year, I've already spotted a creek with a large expanse of elephant ears beside an industrial estate where no-one is going to miss a trailer load!

So, while the sun is still shining, I'd better start preparing for cool 10degC nights.

Cheers,

Grover

@Grover65k so what is your new plan for this winter, my unheatedtanks now having 20plus frontosa, they are outdoor with few heaters now. If you have any ideas to save the electricty bill by adding any other bills to avoid my boss, it will be a great help.

I am thinking of getting a solar or gas hot water system like the ones you use in caravan and periodically pump hot water in ;) 

@l2h

That's awesome!

Now-a-days you have to be Steve Irwin or Robert Irwin to get around with baby freshies!

My memories of Sydney aquarium shops are of the fishy, warm smell that wrapped around you with the bubbling in the tanks - especially during Winter !.

The store we visited as a family back then was in Elizabeth St, Allawah (just across from the Lily St Railway Bridge) - sadly, gone now :-/

cheers,

Grover

(also no "Jonah and the great fish" jokes pls!) 

St George at Rockdale closing a few years back really cut into the hobby here

It was like a TARDIS small shop front and then you walked in and it went back

2 property lengths and had a side room into the property next door with the

tank making behind than  :esad:

Ahh  @pk333,

If only I had "invested" in RTGG's    :drum:    I do like the colour of the red-tails  - those bluey-green high lights on the body combined with red-finnage ! But I'm not of chinese extraction, and am also slightly colour-blind in the red-green dept. so it's Osphronemus gouramy for me. Actually, I'm happy just to care for my corner of the Brisbane GPG population. 

Not sure I'd want to take the challenge of getting a GPG from Perth to Brissie - I heard a horror story about a poor GPG going north packed in a sealed bag with no air-gap. What were they thinking???

Anyway, life goes by slowly in the Billabong; I've been down & out with a flu attack, so it was enough work this week just to keep throwing the food in.:behindsofa:

And @crusty76, point taken about the spare goldies - I'm suspicious that the numbers have dropped a bit, and wonder if the GPG's are not strictly herbivores, and dally a little as omnivores. What do you think from your experience :?:

Cheers,

Grover

PS: the Pacu might be a score tho !!!

3 hours ago, Grover65k said:

And @crusty76, point taken about the spare goldies - I'm suspicious that the numbers have dropped a bit, and wonder if the GPG's are not strictly herbivores, and dally a little as omnivores. What do you think from your experience :?:

Cheers,

Grover

PS: the Pacu might be a score tho !!!

Yes they will take a crook fish if its small enough to fit in their mouth but as for hunting a fish? not sure maybe? but the amount of food you shovel in there I do doubt it, Oscars would be my pick for the disappearance's? And NO! stay away from Pacu! they are on the bad fishes list! not aloud Grover :)

11 hours ago, crusty76 said:

And NO! stay away from Pacu! they are on the bad fishes list! not aloud Grover :)

Ahh...

Thanx Crusty - it was just a wild thought - after seeing them on the Philippines trip !

They look sorta B&F (big & fat), with a homely face - oh well :closed_2:

Grover & the GPGs

Getting Fired Up (again!)

Apologies for the delay in updates - have been side-tracked with a tricky IT project.

So, back to the Billabong :-)

I'm getting tired of cleaning the Big Cr@p Filter "BCF" and the Big Blue Barrels "BBB", so a little research on the web lead me to Narangba here in sunny Qld!

Wedgetech Australia

sieve2b.thumb.jpg.35d7df58225e15b3c533f9bb52b18758.jpg

These look fabulous! Now I only have to find out if I need to sell one of the cars to afford it!

sieve1.jpg.5014096b57719a245b5370a08f6a3d7e.jpg

sieve3b.thumb.jpg.5f9ab9d9c4a1fde6e0b61f00b6459435.jpg

Grover

(Happy with another project / investigation)

PS:  Wow! Look how big I can go...

sieve4.thumb.jpg.df7fa736ab1abc3fa93691cd4c5f603e.jpg

Hi @Cam07.

I think you could call it a pre-filter. My sump pump sitting at the bottom of the Billabong sucks up a bunch of mulm / sludge / detritus / bits of food / GPG poop / dead water iris stems & leaves and the odd small goldfish. All of this cr@p organic bioload gets caught first in the BCF in a stainless steel water tank filter, then more gets caught by the Matala sheets in the middle of the BCF. Whats left is green water with some"floaty" particles which then go thru the BBF. All of which I have to take apart and clean on a daily, weekly, & monthly basis - too much work, and no holidays!

Technically the thing in the picture is a "Low Head, Self Cleaning Screen Strainer"

And as the brochure says "Ideally suited for removing large amounts of solids (up to 25 percent) from water and other low viscosity liquids. A self-cleaning strainer is often used as a first step in solid waste removal; the separation and dewatering of solid material. A simple device with no moving parts."

It needs to be simple if I have to get involved with it   :-)

Here's another website for an American firm that makes them...

EverFilt

sieve5.thumb.jpg.b7fa26744cdfe91857efe8a29a1b1a19.jpg

They look great, it'll only be the $$$ that might stymie me and the GPGs.

cheers,

Grover

PS: We had a discussion sometime ago on QLDAF about 'wedge wire' -   @aquaholic99 very generously contributed a lot of info  - you should be able to find some threads that explain how it works and how to home-build one of these (possibly the GPG thread from 2016 and earlier in 2013 - just search for "wedge wire"). At the moment I don't have time / energy or the stainless steel lying around to whip one up, hence the ogling of web sites :black_eyed:

PPS: After 2½ years in the Billabong, the GPGs are simply massive now - starting to scare me !

Grover,

From the Narangba place you mentioned, the 600mm size is almost $6K and the 900mm size is almost $7K. Have you looked at Zakki Sieves which also use wedge wire? http://www.deepwaterkoi.com/Zakki-Sieve-The-Direct-Suction-Pre-Filter-Zakki-Sieve.htm

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?124954-The-NEW-Zakki-Sieve-Filters-and-a-breif-explanation-of-Wedge-Wire-Sieve-Filters

Or thought about making a cetus sieve yourself? That's what I'm going to do. Unless I buy a Zakki instead

Alternatively a simple settling tank will work well but doesn't remove organics from water column so your bio filter has to work harder. A 5,000L or 10,000L rain water tank can be used as a settling tank but takes up space. 

Thanx to Cyclone Debbie...

Really appreciate the water change, but did you have to flood the backyard as well?

cyc01.thumb.jpg.6d5312cf2620463829682f7de021bacd.jpg

GPGsintherain01.thumb.jpg.731a186a44edf1148708c3356dceadb4.jpg

There's one!

GPGsintherain02.thumb.jpg.0e71e9047ae5b4dccf8e2cb32f5fd7c4.jpg

I just hope the GPGs are too fat to fit thru the pool fencing :-)

Grover

(getting wet, but getting a great water change for the Billabong)

Hope they're all good Grover. Had some issues with my pond over flowing due to blocked storm water drain and had to chase guppies across the tiles and out of the swimming pool. Would be a different game chasing down GPG's. 

Hi @mungor

I figure it's probably easier with the giant gouramis...

The wheelbarrow is the best thing for GPG-fishy-recovery efforts :-)

I've got some video of the flooding thru my backyard and out into the street - will work at getting it up on youtube.

Cheers,

Grover

(I'd love to see you chasing guppies across the tiles and rescue them from your swimming pool!!)

On 2/18/2017 at 7:18 PM, Heintz.G said:

I've only just started getting back into the hobby, my first and last time with Goldfish Lol.

Hey @Heintz.G

Nice avatar picture ! 

The squiggly-mouth oscar I have from you is doing well  - "Oscarami" is chasing the baby comet goldfish all over the Billabong!

Hope Gympie survived all the water from ex-Cyclone Debbie on her way down the coast last week.

Cheers,

Grover