Sign in to follow this  
mattstevens

Advice on best live stock shops - Brisbane (Nth Side)

I'm down in Brisbane for a couple of days and wouldn't mind checking out some shops on the way home to the Sunny Coast to see if I can find some fish that take my fancy - more specifically looking for African males for a display tank. Probably Haps and Peacocks.

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some good stores down this way that I should check out?

yep, smiths is a bit $$$ but usually have good stock. Other shops include; petcity.

thats pretty much it really. clayfield aquarium isn't to shabby, atlas aquarium used to be great until the fwit new owner screwed it :irked:

ummm and yeah, there is quite a few petbarn stores on the northside, lawnton and bald hills store's usually have a decent range of fish.

HTH

Michael

Smiths aquarium on sandgate rd is the only place i really go to anymore... they have by far the best livestock in brisbane.

The good part is they have a high turnover so you can go in every few days and they have at least a few new types of fish in.

Mate just skip the northside and drive straight to the southside :esup::esup: where you can go to

1. Pet City @ Mt Gravatt - Good range of american cichlids, L no catfish Some malawis and tangs with the occassional oddball. :drool:

2. Exotic Fish @ Rocklea - Very good range of americans and some african cichlids as well. :ewink:

3. Fishchicks @ Annerley - Great range of smaller cichlids and a varied range of others. :boggle:

4. Darra Aquarium - Sometimes gets some good young cichlids as well as some aussie natives. :upsidedown:

If you still decide to stay on the "other" side of the bridge Smiths @ Boondall is the best of the bunch. :roll:

Dave

atlas aquariums, i've bought from them before but IME didnt like the particular store

pine rivers aquarium, been going there since i started keeping fish :)

good prices and good quality fish

smiths aquarium has a HUGE range

thats pretty much it on the northside

fish might be good at pine rivers if you could see through the water

smith have the biggest range and $$$

clayfield big range and great service and good $$$

aspley pet centre good range and cheepest prices

petwise rothwell have a big range aswell

Aquarama staford have as if not bigger range and smiths

Mate just skip the northside and drive straight to the southside :esup::esup: where you can go to

1. Pet City @ Mt Gravatt - Good range of american cichlids, L no catfish Some malawis and tangs with the occassional oddball. :drool:

2. Exotic Fish @ Rocklea - Very good range of americans and some african cichlids as well. :ewink:

3. Fishchicks @ Annerley - Great range of smaller cichlids and a varied range of others. :boggle:

4. Darra Aquarium - Sometimes gets some good young cichlids as well as some aussie natives. :upsidedown:

If you still decide to stay on the "other" side of the bridge Smiths @ Boondall is the best of the bunch. :roll:

Dave

Thanks Dave, unfortunately heading back up to the Sunshine Coast I can't make it to the south side. But I will definitely keep these places in mind for next time I have a bit more time on my hands while I'm down here. Cheers.

You should also consider getting along to the auction the following weekend. Huge range of aquarium livestock at unreal prices.

Worth the effort if you're shopping around for your aquarium.

4pm, Saturday November 21

St Josephs College Basketball Stadium

Gregory Terrace Spring Hill

(near Centenary Pool)

Enter Car Park at bottom of school from Roger or Victoria Streets

Goes all night. Plenty of seating, food and drinks available, just bring an esky in case you see something you like.

;)

mad-n-angry wrote:

smiths aquarium on sandgate rd I agree, they usually have good stock.

Yeah I'll tripple that recommendation and the boys are really friendly and got some good advice.

so how did you go dude? get/see anything you liked?

i use to be up your way...is there much up there (sunshine coast)???

Hey, yeah good, didn't have much time though. Just ended up with some peacocks from aquarama. A sulfur head, a lwanda, and a blue, red, and yellow.

They are looking much better in my tank then they did in the shop (probably due to lighting). So I am happy.

Checked out Smiths, and I must say the shop is impressive, and the staff were awesome. The prices however, were unjustifiable in my opinion. Assorted peacocks @ $35.... ouch.

Up my way there are a few shops - in Noosa, where I live we are pretty limited. There is really only one shop worth visiting. Down towards Maroochydore there are a few more but the selection of fish is fairly average. Although, I must say, Nigel (somethingfishy) from this site supplies a few of them, and the quality of his fish is awesome.

Most shops up here seem to stock generic mbuna, a few haps, and the chance of finding nice peacocks and tangs is low.

You should also consider getting along to the auction the following weekend. Huge range of aquarium livestock at unreal prices.

Worth the effort if you're shopping around for your aquarium.

4pm, Saturday November 21

St Josephs College Basketball Stadium

Gregory Terrace Spring Hill

(near Centenary Pool)

Enter Car Park at bottom of school from Roger or Victoria Streets

Goes all night. Plenty of seating, food and drinks available, just bring an esky in case you see something you like.

;)

Yeah I should, I'm just lazy :lol: I would really like to make it along one of these days. I just need a bigger/some more tanks. I am running out of space.

Sign in to follow this