Sign in to follow this  
300Magnum

Fish ID Please

Can anyone tell me what kind of cichlids these may be?  The male is the bottom one and the female is on top (currently holding).  They are approx the same coloration although the male is brighter.  The male is around 14cm and quite fat....they look like a zebra of some sort but not 100% sure.  The male looks similar to a Lombardoi  male (but they are not lombardoi). Someone  mentioned "charra gold" but can't find any info on this name.....any input appreciated.....cheers.

20161011_211801.jpg

After doing some research I am pretty sure these are Metriaclima Sp. "Zebra Gold Charo".  Not many of these around from what I can tell but they are a great looking fish.  I should hopefully have a batch of fry soon.

7 hours ago, none said:

Not even close to resembling Gold Charo. Look like a Lombardoi Hybrid.

I disagree.....I breed Lombardoi and I can say that they are not a Lombardoi hybrid.  They are a lot bigger and chunkier and look more like zebras.  Based on my research, there seems to be two variants of the gold zebra.  One is the more traditional with the black face and barring, and the other variant is the one that looks like mine (ie more gold with little black).  Check out the below URL's.......mine look identical to these:

http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=26791

http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=40570

19 hours ago, 300Magnum said:

I disagree.....I breed Lombardoi and I can say that they are not a Lombardoi hybrid.  They are a lot bigger and chunkier and look more like zebras.  Based on my research, there seems to be two variants of the gold zebra.  One is the more traditional with the black face and barring, and the other variant is the one that looks like mine (ie more gold with little black).  Check out the below URL's.......mine look identical to these:

http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=26791

http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=40570

Disagree all you like. Charo look nothing - and I mean nothing - like the hybrids in your photo. A saulosi male changing from the juvenile colour to male - so yellow with bars starting - looks far more like a Charo than your fish! Wrong shape, wrong size, wrong barring, wrong fin colouration, wrong face colouration.

People that have Charo pay top dollar for them and know what they have. I see Lombardi evident - also see possible Hongi in the top fish. See Tropheops in the bottom. Didn't pick up on the Williamsi but CLEARLY these are hybrids with no breeding value whatsover.

Hi Matt...thanks for the reply.  I agree that these seem to be the same breed as Gold Zebra that were being sold in Sydney and Perth a few years ago.  I agree with None that these are not the same as the traditional Gold Charo that comes up in Google, but they are identical to a lot of photos from the Australian breeders in Sydney and Perth.  I dont think these are Hybrids as has been suggested as RPM1976 (who used to breed this variant in Sydney) has confirmed on the ACE forums that these are the same as the Gold Charros he used to breed.

I'm sorry.... your question was answered bye 2 of the more knowledgeable people in Queensland on said question but you didn't like the answer.... just because there is "zero doubt" they are the closest hybrid we have in Ozzie doesn't make them Prue..... I know people think I'm cynical but if you only take the information that best suits you.... well my friend that's why people won't want to ANSWER your questions anymore..... two sides to every coin aye 

51 minutes ago, Jase86uxb said:

I'm sorry.... your question was answered bye 2 of the more knowledgeable people in Queensland on said question but you didn't like the answer.... just because there is "zero doubt" they are the closest hybrid we have in Ozzie doesn't make them Prue..... I know people think I'm cynical but if you only take the information that best suits you.... well my friend that's why people won't want to ANSWER your questions anymore..... two sides to every coin aye 

That's fine.......thanks

The NSWCS auctions (where the previous owner bought these from) are very strict on ensuring only pure strains are sold and certainly don't allow hybrids, hence why I am being persistant.  Anyway, that's my last post on this topic.....

It is not easy to ensure a fish is not a hybrid when presented in a plastic bag at an auction. 

There are three opinion presented - two for and one against being a hybrid.  The fact it looks like others in Australia is not reassuring to me.  

Good luck,

Steve

To be 100% we will need a dna sample ( the whole fish). Now the nature of hybrids is they can look a little like both parents, nothing like either, or the same as one parent. That is why most people hate them you purchase a fish that looks true spawn and raise fry and end up with shit, lost time and money. in my own opinion you can never guarantee a fish is purebred by any less than DNA compare. Tho only thing a photo proves is it is a hybrid.

Sign in to follow this