Welcome to QLD Aquarium Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Schmitee

Going salty - first marine

18 posts in this topic

About time i actually added to the forum rather than just asking questions, so after being inspired by seeing @gingerbeer's new marine,  here goes. 

Started setting up my first marine tank yesterday, using a slightly modified aquastart 320. I've sectioned of the back as an in tank sump with a media section and a section for the pump and heater so they are all hidden. For media I'm trialing pumice for extra bio and I'll be modifying a prefilter sock to fit my overflow. 

At the moment I'm running the light that was already on the tank so I'll be changing either the tubes or the whole fixture soon (not sure if 2x24w t5 lights will be enough,  especially with the over hang). 

So after spending some coin, i chucked in my new goodies and started spying on any hitchhikers (secretly quite addictive). here's how it looks now. 

Schmitee

20161023_154251.jpg

Not quite what I had in mind @Cam07... 

So far spotted the arms of two brittle stars, a tiny starfish, a few snails, 3 aiptasia (due for lethal injection tomorrow) 1 unknown polyp and a coral which I really doubt will last. 

Some day I'll learn the names of all these things...

Yep hoping to get a peppermint shrimp down the track, though I'll remove what I can myself to be sure.

I could fit an external skimmer behind if I wanted, but the plan is running skimmer-less.

Schmitee

The weekend is coming which means its almost time to go shopping... The question is lighting.

Can I keep the current 2x24w fluoro reflector on the tank with more appropriate lights (say, 1x hagen marine glo and 1x power glo)??????

OR... do I need a new light altogether?

I'm planning on sticking with softies and/or LPS, so lighting requirements should be a bit lower. :help:

Schmitee

Cheers Craig! love DIY :) 

About time for an update, though not much has changed other than a covering of diatoms and cycling. So, two weeks in, I've started testing every couple days... latest results are:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - <5

Phosphate ~0.1

Salinity - 1.024

So, either the tank is already cycled... OR my test kits are getting old and dodgy... thinking I might double check at my LFS.

I also collected some snails last Saturday and chucked them in... apart from a couple of attempts at carpet surfing they seem to be doing alright.

SO keen to add livestock!!!!

Cheers, 

Schmitee

What sort of test kits are you using?

I was using api when I started and all tests were spot on. Upgraded to salifert and found out the truth!  Haha

Most LFS will only test with api for customers so you won't learn much from that.

I've just got the API tests, but they're getting pretty old as well so figure that won't help. I know my LFS just uses API, but figure it can't hurt to have a second trial...

Latest additions! 

Went in search of my first tank inhabitants yesterday and picked up a cute little clown goby and a zoanthid colony. I was actually looking for a small colony which could expand over the coral branch at the front but ended up with a larger piece with two types of zoa :)

The goby seems to enjoy sitting in one spot on the sand next to live rock but I turned the pump off to try feeding him and he was happy to explore the tank

20161120_155951.jpg

20161119_134503.jpg

So much for me keeping track of my tank on here,  4 months of nothing when all sorts of things, good and bad, have happened. 

Over the Christmas new years break I went away for a week and came back to some less than desirable water conditions and the majority of my zoas gone or on their way out.  In the end managed to save some but lost the majority. Also lost the clown goby a couple weeks later, poor thing was very picky with his food. I thought he was eating the frozen food, but he may have spat it back later without me noticing, ended up looking rather skinny when he died. 

So now the good news, i now have a hammer, torch, another colony of zoas and a fungia. So far they are mostly happy, other than the mushroom which i think got damaged during transport. I've also got myself a clownfish who is slowly starting to host with the hammer. 

Last addition, got myself an Ocean Free Nanoskim which fits perfectly in my diy filter so gotta be happy with that 

Enough talk, here's an fts

DSC_0017_1.JPG

Cam07 likes this

Thanks mate.

Has anyone had experience with fungii corals? Mine is really confusing me at the moment. He's been sooking for the 2 weeks I've had him (somehow flipped upside down during acclimation and possibly got damaged), but I came home on Sunday to find it fully swollen and looking fantastic. Decided to feed it with some frozen food, which it passed along to its mouth and took down. Then I came home this afternoon expecting it to be fully out again, to find the flesh recessed again and skeleton visible.

Seems my torch stayed closed up today as well... all the others seem happy

Schmitee

They were my thoughts too,  i checked the temp straight away and it was 25.3,  did a water change on Saturday so that should be fine. The hammer could be sending out stingers, but I haven't seen any yet... and they've been fine so far

My concern is that I've cleaned the filter sock in the washing machine so there could still be some detergent left...