johnbetta

what is the best way to sterilaze a tank

I'm about to do some sterilizing myself. I have already bought a 5 litre bottle of concentrated bleach from Bunnings, but am holding off a little bit until I can shuffle some fish around.

Just be very careful when using bleach and please make sure you treat the water thoroughly before attempting to add fish. Any logs will soak up the bleach and they may even leach bleach out for a while so be very weary of this.

I'm actually a little concerned myself about using bleach. have been told chlorine would be a better treatment but I'm determined to get rid of BBA.

See what happens. Its only one fish I own that I'm most concerned about so this fish will not be going into a treated tank until I'm 100% sure all bleach traces are gone.

I'm also going to be treating some collected logs with bleach once I'm finished utilizing the outside tank this summer.

If I have had a wipe out, condies crystals or potassium permanganate is good.  I make a light purple colour.  It may stain silicon but I have not had that problem. 

Sunlight is a good steriliser of an empty tank. 

Before steralising think do I really need too? 

thanks gingerbeer i have treated with meds then washed the tank out with boiling water then refilled then washed out again then re cycled the tank for four weeks then added fish and they died the next day i am at my wits end been doing fish for 17 years and two years of marine bio had no trouble for a long time then i moved to crestmead and had alot of trouble with fish i am on rain water and mains water but more trouble than its worth so thats why i am looking at steralising my 4 tanks all up i have 9 tanks and only 3 are going great

John, gingerbeer might be right in your case. I'm only sterilizing my tanks because of BBA. I'm also using bleach to soak untreated logs but I will be soaking my logs for at least 6 months after that in treated water overdosing with dechlorinator.

I don't have too many fish at the moment for this reason. I have never done this before so I'm taking a massive risk. I might try one tank first before I go any further.

I might even go another way. I'm now starting to think I might just use easy carbo instead. Overdose with easy carbo might be a safer option to rid the BBA.

It might cost me a bit more but be a safer option.

Make sure you have carbon in your filters after adding chemicals to a tank.. that way it helps filter the baddies out. I also Second a...

13 hours ago, gingerbeer said:

condies crystals or potassium permanganate

Wipe down then rinse then sun. Like Middle of the day sun for 2hrs. Helps kill off any nasties.. but watch out Snails can also suck up minisclue amounts of the bad water and then release it back into the clean water.. so crush any of the little suckers in the Condies process.. 

John have you tried adding a fish like guppies or swordtails to your tank to see if they die off as fast? You seem very knowledgable.. and it sucks to have fish dieing so quickly. 

Also a good question.. what are you doing with your pumps? A tank clean and a pump clean at the same time can spike your water levels too.. killing fish easily. 

Reading this thread the thing that comes to mind is insufficient detail provided in advice. To answer the initial question posted: Bleach / chlorine works well. As an idea in a 100L tank I use around 500ml of White King unscented. Fill tank to brim so you kill everything above and below water line. Have an airstone on very VERY minute (barely one bubble per minute) setting immediately after using until the water froths up to a point it will spill out - then put your lids on and turn airstone off- now underside of lids are being sterilized too. After two days put your lids in the bottom of the tank. If using air operated filters throw them out and get new ones as the sponges generally will not respond well to bleach and they are cheap anyhow. If running cannisters etc probably best to put it on an esky or something similar and run it with bleach like that. You can run it in your main tank but you'll have to make allowances for the water movement with the water level in your tank. If internal power filters leave running but make sure they don't create surface movement. Sterilize airstones, rocks - whatever you are re-using at the same time. I leave the tank like that for three days. Then - the part that posts above omit - flush the tank heaps and heaps of times. This is based on a bare bottom tank. After flushing at least 6 times then using a soft new cleaning sponge begin to wipe down all surfaces including silicone bead as a residue forms that needs to be removed. Then flush - flush and flush again. Ideally then dry the tank out; refill the following day nuetralise at at least triple dose leave it then dump the water and do the same again. Seem like overkill - best to do it properly. I don't generally dry out the tank if I need to re-use but every other step I regard as essential.  If tank had rocks and gravel you are re-using (I'd just dump the gravel) hose the rocks off then leave in the sun for a week. Gravel you will need to wash just like you would new gravel but even better - flush it heaps. Then leave to dry in the sun. Clean any ancillaries you are re-fitting like filters etc in much the same way. If you are re-using filter material in the filters clean it thoroughly then leave in the sun.

hi every one i am happy with the advice not trying to cos trouble i have tryed cuppies and they die with in a day to i use sponge filters and clean them in aged water that is the same as my tanks ted i am greatful for your advice mate and bristlenose girl and gingerbeer and qldmick i am just not sure what to do i should empty the tank and put it in the sun for 2 hours and see if that fixes it thanks all