win

what arowana are allowed in australia and any breeder

Hi, i saw smith aquarium got breeding silver arowana pairs on display and they also sell small one they breed at the shop.

Is silver arowana and black arowana are legal to own and breed and sell in australia? anyone breeding them in large sale in a farm?

How is the market demand and sale prices?

Thanks advance

If they breed then I'm pretty sure it's legal to sell and for people to own as it was bred in Australia. As for the price they are not cheap and demand is there for them but the quantities are not. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

the one they put down and fined is a red asian arowana from Mt Gravett pet shop that i read on the web.

will people spend 500-700$ for 15 cm size compare to 100 $ for the saratoga?

will it be profitable to breed but it will need a lot of cash capital and large area/pond.

Can silver arowana survive in outdoor pond in QLD winter, anyone has them in pond outdoor and survive the weather.?

2 hours ago, QldMick said:

isn't red and silver the same species?

cheers

mick

Silver arowana are Osteoglossum bicirrhosum and Red arowana are Scleropages formosus. Distant relatives but not the same sp.

Ok - short answer - Asian Arowana are on CITIES as they are endangered. They must be microchipped to prove their origin. They are not a legal import. Hence they can't be imported. If you have one wthout a chip you are in contravention of international CITIES legislation which is a serious offence. If you have a chipped one it will show when it was smuggled in so either way you are doomed. RE Sth American Silvers - most on the market that claim to be bred have questionable origins. Will you get rich breeding Silver Arowana - no. Will you flood the market (if you manage to breed them) in a very short time? Yes. Better chance of making money on Jardini. We are talking dams though not tanks unless you have massive aquaculture tanks and inducement. Black Arowana in Australia are smuggled in. None have bred here to my knowledge. Possible - but HIGHLY unlikely.

Anyone breeding Jardini on a large scale in australia?

most saratoga for sale are leichardi -and there are many breeders i know of?

Any particular reason why silver arowana breeding won't make as much money as breeding Jardini. it will need same space and food ,expense etc

It will need more capital cash start up but selling price as 5 times more than Jardini?

Silver arowana are not on CITIES and no need to put microchip in them.

Pretty simple answer - demand.  Best do far more research before embarking on it.  Bit Lazy to ask others on here to give you all the answers without doing basic research yourself..